Buying a cheap trainer

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Buying a cheap trainer

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:40 pm

My friend wants to buy a cheap trainer, either new or second hand

Any suggestions
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Gunlock

Re: Buying a cheap trainer

Postby Gunlock » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:43 pm

Minoura Mag500.

Will outlast the cockroaches

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:49 pm

Facebook market or gumtree.

I got a bog standard jetblack mag trainer from a member here. It is noisy as hell and resistance is patchy but it rolls and it means I can get out a nice quick 30 min spin when the weather is a bit choppy. I think it was $40?

Depends what he wants it for. Prior to that I've tried the Wahoo kicker (in store on my own bike I bought in for servicing), a few fluid trainers (elite, jet black, kurt and lemond) from friends, one of them was wind, I forget which one. All have pros and cons but I have to say for me it didn't matter. I'm not using it for training or anything, it's just a way to turn the legs over if it's been very stupidly wet for a while and I can't get the (rain) cross bike out. They felt different with the fluid trainer the best feel in terms or realness. The wind was ok but something about the noise made it simply feel not real - it's a perception thing. Having said that though, knowing what I know now, and if I had more space, I'd go for a decent set of rollers. They would be perfect since I don't do proper trainer training, I just use them to turn the legs over.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:12 pm

If you're in Melbourne I have an adjustable mag trainer you can have. Pick up only.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:55 am

SuperSix wrote:If you're in Melbourne I have an adjustable mag trainer you can have. Pick up only.
Thanks Super, he's in Sydney so that's a no go
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:14 am

If your friend can wait for up to 2 weeks or less for cheap trainer from Melbourne with free postage.

It might be be noisy to run. From Cycling Deal at $79.
http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/indoo ... ner/CB-611

*Edit* Sorry not free shipping but at $8.04c depending on postcode or more with Courier Please or eParcel at $10.40c.

Sorry, you meant the mag trainer. Anaconda have it on sale at half price for $124.50c.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:00 pm

The cycling deal one looks good to me. Wind is noisy but simple and provides realistic resistance. Plus, the attachment is nice and simple - in my experience, the fancy quick release types often bugger up over time.
I've still got my Tacx wind trainer from the 90's, going strong.