Stolen wheel, need help with parts / measurements

bikebikebike

Stolen wheel, need help with parts / measurements

Postby bikebikebike » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:16 pm

Hello,

My front wheel was stolen and I need to replace it, but I'll be damned if I understand all the measurements and don't want to order the wrong parts.
Bike is a Specialized Sirrus 04.
I know I need a "DA16" front rim and I think that only comes in 700c sizing (whatever 700c is?)
I've found a few online but some of the pictures don't seem to have a quick release nut, some do? Also are they pre-greased and good to go?

The tyre is the most confusing part for me.
My rear is a Vittoria Randonneur but the markings on it I don't understand.
(28x' 3/8 x1 5/8)
37-622 88R 002055
If I recall the guy at the store who helped me switch out the stock tyres, put the widest he could fit on the rim to help with traction on dirt trails and I'm not sure if it's even meant to go on that rim (regardless it worked for years)
What EXACT tyre is this? Is it a "700c" tyre?

Finally the tube, I'm pretty confident of this as I've replaced it before from ebay.
"Kenda 700c PRESTA Tube 700x35/38/40/45 F/V 36mm Valve" worked fine for me. (although I wish the stem was longer)
The protective rubber strip for the rim, do I need to buy this separately too?

Thanks for reading.

P.S i'm going to walk into the local cash converters due to the local drug problem, if I DO spot my rim in there, what can I do?

Ross

Re: Stolen wheel, need help with parts / measurements

Postby Ross » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:02 pm

700C is the diameter of the wheel. 28" is the imperial measurement, 700C is the metric.

The current Sirrus bikes appear to have 32mm wide tyres, your bike shop may of replaced them with 35mm.

Maybe go with 700x35/38/40/45 F/V 42mm Valve tube to give you the longer valve.

I don't think there is much you can do if you see your wheel at CC, they don't have serial numbers so virtually impossible to prove it's yours.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:12 pm

While the chances are slim that cash converters would have it, check anyway. Also report to the police, every theft is worth reporting because if it is picked up it can get back to you.

If you did spot it at cash converters, I would first call the police (before chatting to staff) and ask them what you should do - they may come down and clarify it. Considering you know which hub / wheel / tyre combination it was, it would be unusual for the exact same combination in a wheel only, to suddenly appear. Calling the Police first will ensure that it is tackled formally, rather than speaking to the store manager and suddenly in a hours time, the wheel is no longer there. While they technically should have systems in place to avoid buying stolen gear and also to allow people to report stolen gear, it may not always work in your favour.
Cycling is in my BNA

bikebikebike

Postby bikebikebike » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:16 pm

Thank you,

Can I clarify what 37-622 means? Does that mean it's a 37mm wide tyre or as you say 35mm? (and in that case, what does 622 mean if it's a 700c rim?)
Also what does 28x' 3/8 x 1 5/8 mean? Is that 28" and 3/8th of an inch diameter x 1 and 5/8'ths of an inch width?
(Sorry, I know you've answered but I'm trying to understand so I can figure it out in future)

If I spot my wheel at "Able Cash" Richmond I might go file a police report 300m down the street, unlikely it's there but I'll find out tomorrow.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:46 pm

bikebikebike wrote:Thank you,

Can I clarify what 37-622 means? Does that mean it's a 37mm wide tyre or as you say 35mm? (and in that case, what does 622 mean if it's a 700c rim?)
Also what does 28x' 3/8 x 1 5/8 mean? Is that 28" and 3/8th of an inch diameter x 1 and 5/8'ths of an inch width?
(Sorry, I know you've answered but I'm trying to understand so I can figure it out in future)

If I spot my wheel at "Able Cash" Richmond I might go file a police report 300m down the street, unlikely it's there but I'll find out tomorrow.
37 means it is supposed to be 37mm wide (although tyre makers seem to have dodgy rulers at times)
622 is the diameter of the bead that holds the tyre onto the rim, known as the Bead Seat Diameter.

Historically wheels were described by the outside diameter of the whole package, and one of the common sizes in Europe was 700mm. However there were different ways to achieve this diameter with big rims and skinny tyres (700A) or small rims and fat tyres (700D). The 700C size (622 BSD) won the popularity contest in the 80's and is the most widely used rim size for road bikes used in the world.

As for the police report, it will be a lot more credible if you lodge the police report before going to the shop. To do it the other way around leaves you open to being mistaken for some low-life who doesn't want to pay the asking price for the wheel.

Cheers,

Cameron

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:54 pm

Welcome to the confusing world of wheel / tyre nomenclature - the much missed Sheldon Brown has a great page on all of the details. Short story 700 is the diameter of a tyre, 622 is the bead seat diameter of the rim.
ISO, the International Organization for Standardization has developed a universal tire sizing system that eliminates this confusion. ... The ISO system uses two numbers; the first is the width of the tire or rim in millimeters (The actual tire width will vary a bit depending on the width of the rim. The rim width is the inner width measured between the flanges as shown in the diagram.)
The second ISO number is the critical one, it is the diameter of the bead seat of the rim, in mm ("B.S.D."). Generally, if this number matches, the tire involved will fit onto the rim; if it doesn't match, the tire won't fit.
So in your case 37-622 means a 37mm wide tyre made for a bead seat diameter of 622mm - ie the wheel generally known as 700c which is only 700mm in diameter for a particular tyre ~38mm wide.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:51 pm

I think that someone stole your front wheel for his bike or take it and throw it out somewhere or sell it someone for drugs. With quick release skewers on wheels make it easy for someone to steal if left for long periods while locked up with cable without it thru the front wheel.

I don`t think that he will try to sell it to Cash Converters.

I`ve seen bikes locked to bike racks had their front wheels missing. It would be better to lock both wheels if they`ve got QR skewer.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...