Buying A Road Bike

joel

Buying A Road Bike

Postby joel » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:13 pm

Hi all,

I currently own an old shogun trail spirit hybrid which is about 10 years old and I am just starting to run into serious problems with it. So I am in the market for a road bike but have little knowledge on some of the finer points and why one bike would be a better buy than another. I ride about 20Kms a day but I am looking to be buy something that I could do longer rides on and maybe a bit of racing. My price range is about $1400 to $1800 and I have been looking at the Giant OCR1 and OCR2, Specialized Allez Elite, Trek 1200 and the Felt F85 and F75. What would you recommend out of those bikes and for what reasons? I am really confused and would love it if someone could help me out!

Cheers Joel

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:41 pm

The bikes that you mentioned are mainstream brands / models and are likely to fulfil your needs.
In my opinion, there is very little difference between them, so ride as many of them as you can and go from there.
In general, it is probably advisable to focus at the lower end of your budget range, as things like a helmet, gloves, knicks and jersey, shoes, a lock etc. will soon absorb the rest - even when the shop does a bundle deal for you (which it should). If you can get a 105-equipped bike at that end of the budget, go for it, but Tiagra or Sora components will also serve you well.
Let us know where you live and some-one can probably give you some advice regarding bike stores etc.

joel

Postby joel » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:46 pm

I live in Ulladulla on the South Coast of NSW. There is only 1 bike shop in town and they stock Giant bikes.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:19 pm

I've been happy with my Giant, I've got an OCR2-04.

Where do you ride in Ulladulla? The roads behind Milton ?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

joel

Postby joel » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:28 am

I ride mostly from my house in milton into ulludulla via a back road and then along past the beach at mollymook and narrawallee and then back home to milton. It is about a 20 km ride and I try to do it everyday. It is good because it doesn't take to long (about 45 minutes) and there is some great scenery. But I would like to do some riding out the back of milton, a mate of mine has ridden extensively out there and said it is great.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:49 am

I spent christmas week in Mollymook and went jogging every day. Saw a few out on bikes.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

joel

Postby joel » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:12 am

Yeah I have seen a lot of bike riders getting around lately it is mostly the tourists, not many locals ride on a regular basis, or I don't see many out anyway.

As I have mentioned above what road bikes would you recommend, or if there is one in particular, for around $1700. I would like to have the shimano 105 groupset but I have noticed that the price goes up quite a bit once you start having less and less tiagra components. Is tiagra any good? is 105 that much better and really worth worrying about having? Also I have noticed that the Felt F85 has pretty much a complete 105 groupset and ultegra rear derailleur and it is only around $1650, it just seems so much cheaper than other bikes with a complete 105 groupset, would there be any reason for that, and is it just good value or do they use cheaper material in the frame to make up the price of using the 105's? Would you recommend the brand Felt and if so what do you think of the F85?

Cluey

Postby Cluey » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:20 pm

I bought an OCRZero recently and I love it. It has the 105 gear and I paid $1500. I got a good deal because I bought toward the end of the year (so they were getting rid of stock, anticipating the next year's model)... there should be some good specials around in January.

Cluey :)

bda20

Postby bda20 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:51 pm

If it is value for monet you are after then giant is very hard to go past and remember like everything in shops the price is ALWAYS neg so drive a hard deal :twisted:
quitting is so easy it makes success so sweet