$399 ALDI Road Bike - Crane

Ross

Re: $399 ALDI Road Bike - Crane

Postby Ross » Tue May 30, 2017 8:49 pm

RobertL wrote:I bought 2 pairs of the bib knicks for $19.99 each. The fit is pretty good (maybe the grippers are a bit tight around the thigh, but not too much).

The padding is thin, but I'm probably only going to wear them commuting which is about 30 minutes each way. I won't wear them when I go out riding with the cool kids!

I actually wore them this morning on my commute and they were fine.
I did a 140km ride in my Aldi knicks on the weekend and have zero issues to report. No chafing or even feeling uncomfortable, better than other brand name knicks I own costing 5x more!

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:13 pm

Ross wrote:I did a 140km ride in my Aldi knicks on the weekend and have zero issues to report. No chafing or even feeling uncomfortable, better than other brand name knicks I own costing 5x more!
Yeah - the more I ride in mine, the more highly I think of them. They're really pretty good.

klr_rider1

Postby klr_rider1 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:29 pm

Aldi will have a sale of cycling gear next Wednesday.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:22 pm

Since they are selling Netti branded gear, its not as sharply priced as their old in house brand stuff.

Ie the Netti jacket is selling for $60, getting a bit pricey for the average Aldi shopper

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:25 pm

I saw one of the crane bikes advertised for 350 on gumtree from memory just yesterday

franco cozzo

Postby franco cozzo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:40 am

...has anyone tried getting anything bigger than 25c on the front wheel with the stock fork?
have successfully run 25c with a fair bit of clearance and was wondering if 28c was at all possible?

uart

Postby uart » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:37 pm

franco cozzo wrote:...has anyone tried getting anything bigger than 25c on the front wheel with the stock fork?
have successfully run 25c with a fair bit of clearance and was wondering if 28c was at all possible?
Yes. My brother bought one of these, and he's running gatorskins 28c on the front and 32c on the rear.

franco cozzo

Postby franco cozzo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:58 pm

uart wrote:
franco cozzo wrote:...has anyone tried getting anything bigger than 25c on the front wheel with the stock fork?
Yes. My brother bought one of these, and he's running gatorskins 28c on the front and 32c on the rear.
cheers for that...thats great news! wasnt keen on ordering something online just to be disappointed. might have to take a punt on a pair of 28c tyres now.

can i ask why hes running a 32c on the rear...i know theres lots of clearance on the rear triangle and that it could take a bigger size. what are the main benefits of running that sort of setup?

uart

Postby uart » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:17 pm

franco cozzo wrote:can i ask why hes running a 32c on the rear...i know theres lots of clearance on the rear triangle and that it could take a bigger size. what are the main benefits of running that sort of setup?
It's his commuter and he carries a bit of weight (panniers) on the back, so he wanted something fairly wide. The rear tyre carries more of the weight than the front.

uart

Postby uart » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:31 pm

uart wrote:Yes. My brother bought one of these, and he's running gatorskins 28c on the front and 32c on the rear.
Update. Quite coincidentally, about half an hour after posted the above, my brother dropped by my place - on his Aldi bike. :)

So I took a look. He is now running 32c gatorskins both front and rear! There is a ton of room up the back, but I definitely wouldn't recommend the 32c on the front as he's only got about 1mm clearance each side. He says it runs fine and he likes it with the 32c up front, but I think that even a slight buckle is going to spoil his day.

franco cozzo

Postby franco cozzo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:26 am

uart wrote:Yes. My brother bought one of these, and he's running gatorskins 28c on the front and 32c on the rear.
Update. Quite coincidentally, about half an hour after posted the above, my brother dropped by my place - on his Aldi bike. :)
uart wrote:So I took a look. He is now running 32c gatorskins both front and rear! There is a ton of room up the back, but I definitely wouldn't recommend the 32c on the front as he's only got about 1mm clearance each side. He says it runs fine and he likes it with the 32c up front, but I think that even a slight buckle is going to spoil his day.
....that was quite a convenient coincidence! :D

...hes running 32c F & R!? thats crazy! :shock: pretty amazing that theres just enough clearance for the 32c up front..i was thinking that wheel trueness would become an issue on the front in re larger tyre sizes...and youve confirmed my suspicions. having said that im more confident than ever that i'll be able to get a 28c (or maybe even a 30c??) up front and i'll probably just run the same on the rear as im not running panniers or a rack...should open up available tyre options quite nicely (i hope so anyway....)
uart wrote:It's his commuter and he carries a bit of weight (panniers) on the back, so he wanted something fairly wide. The rear tyre carries more of the weight than the front.
...ah cool. that makes sense. thanks for the posts uart....very helpful :)