$349 Aldi mountain bike

Bunged Knee

Re: $349 Aldi mountain bike

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:05 pm

Comedian wrote:There is a $79 one today!
So was it stripped down of the $349 bike and you`d get the frame only. :!:

The $79 one should have gone to Aldi Specials thread.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:18 pm

bychosis wrote:
Comedian wrote:There is a $79 one today!
and it's probably 22% the value of the $349 one!
If they fall over it takes two people to lift them. :shock:

tez001

Postby tez001 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:46 pm

Back on sale from the 8th September. Any good for a beginner mtb which will realistically be used probably a handful of times per year? Or look for a second hand one?

RoarFan22

Postby RoarFan22 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:30 pm

Hi guys, new to the forum and looking to purchase first mtb. Just interested in people’s opinions on the frame size of this bike. I am only 165cm, but with a 175cm reach. I have sat on med frame 29er (Norco Storm 3) and found it a good fit, but looking at others comments, people seem to find this frame tall?

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:53 pm

When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

BarryK

Postby BarryK » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:27 am

Hi guys,
New on this forum. I considered that Aldi bike -- it is at the Mundaring store here in WA. However, decided on one from BigW instead, bought it today.

Diamondback Mason, 27.5 inch wheels, disc brakes front and back, alloy frame, alloy rims, dual suspension, $329.

The price also includes assembly, however I assembled it myself. Pretty straightforward, everything seems OK. One small thing, seems to be a slight scraping on front brake pad -- thanks for advice in this forum thread on how to fix that -- haven't tried it yet.

I adjusted the seat down to 86cm, so can put both feet flat on ground. It will go a little bit lower than that.

The rear suspension feels a little bit stiff. I will need to get out there and see how it feels. But, I might be asking if it is possible to fit a softer spring. I already tried adjusting the spring so it isn't tensioned at rest position.

Anyway, thought I would post this, for anyone shopping around for a mountain bike in this price range. It has one-up on the Aldi, with the rear suspension, at least that's a plus point for me. Um, the Diamondback URL:

http://diamondback.com.au/mason-27-5/

BigW:

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/diamond ... e/p/45182/

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:25 am

A lad popped into work yesty with the Aldi 29er. I gave it a quick look over and adjusted some stuff for him. New for $349 I don't think you can beat it, it's pretty good all things considered. It won't scare YT but for *his* intended usage, it's more than good enough. If it ends up being a gateway bike, even better.

Most importantly, it's got another person (hopefully) active and on a bike.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:01 pm

BarryK wrote:Hi guys,
New on this forum. I considered that Aldi bike -- it is at the Mundaring store here in WA. However, decided on one from BigW
Anyway, thought I would post this, for anyone shopping around for a mountain bike in this price range. It has one-up on the Aldi, with the rear suspension, at least that's a plus point for me. Um, the Diamondback
The Aldi bike is a much better proposition, probably twice the value of the BigW bike for components alone. The rear suspension on a budget bike(being generous) is not up to MTB riding and isn’t necessary on the roads.

Still, I hope it serves you well enough.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:34 pm

BarryK wrote:Hi guys,
New on this forum. I considered that Aldi bike -- it is at the Mundaring store here in WA. However, decided on one from BigW instead, bought it today.

Diamondback Mason, 27.5 inch wheels, disc brakes front and back, alloy frame, alloy rims, dual suspension, $329.

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/diamond ... e/p/45182/
Good luck, hope you like it. It does look pretty sweet. But read the customer review comments on the Big W link you shared, if you hit some proper off road trails it might not last you very long. If it's for general suburban riding though it should be perfectly fine :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:20 pm

gsxrboy wrote:A lad popped into work yesty with the Aldi 29er. I gave it a quick look over and adjusted some stuff for him. New for $349 I don't think you can beat it, it's pretty good all things considered. It won't scare YT but for *his* intended usage, it's more than good enough. If it ends up being a gateway bike, even better.

Most importantly, it's got another person (hopefully) active and on a bike.
I had one for 12mths and am more than happy with it. Only replaced the seat on it and tightened thsome spokes after a few rides and also readjusted the BB. :D

Oh I broke the chain on it coming out of a creek on the BVRT on Saturday and have ordered a KMC for it. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

tez001

Postby tez001 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:52 am

Saw a couple of these for $249. Tempted to buy one at that price.

bistein

Postby bistein » Wed May 29, 2019 1:12 pm

I bought the Aldi 29er MTB (medium frame) back in Sept 2016 for $350 and it's my choice of ride (mainly onroad/bike paths) in my fleet of 7 bikes, as I like the large tyres to handle any bumps (driveways, potholes, speed bumps, etc).

I recently bought the same model MTB for $150 new (large frame) as I wanted to try the larger sized frame. Both frames suit my 176cm height on road. The medium frame felt a little cramped for road riding, so had to adjust the seat backwards to it's max and add bar ends....happy now. The Large frame may be too big for me offroad, but I have a dual suspension MTB for offroading.

Done about 10,000km on the 2016 model, riding it about 4 days a week on average.
Some notes:
- vinyl on seat starting to crack on top (8,000km) but still ok. Bike not left in sun much.
- replaced BB due to noticeable clicking, but that usually happens to me...prefer the external BB like Hollowtech. (8,000km)
- bearing cones in rear wheel pitted, so replaced them (10,000km)
- finding it took 10 secs to change gear from 7th to 8th. Replaced chain and cassette and tried tuning gearing selection....not fixed. Lubed inner cable and re-routed cable outside frame to maximise arc in any cable bends....FIXED..changes gear instantly :)

I had no issues with assembling both bikes and tuning them. I had bought a cheap Aldi DS MTB years ago, and returned it immediately, as it was not up to the quality of these Aldi 29ers.

Changes Aldi brought out with new 2018 model:
- reduced front chainring set from 3 to 2 cogs. (Large cog reduced from 44T to 36T). They blacked out the 3rd gear indication area on the shifter window, but shifter still able to shift to a potential 3rd gear if you want to add a 3spd front chainring set :)
- changed shifters from Atlus to Acera. Acera shfiters feels crisper, but I was ok with the Atlus :)

I thought the reduction to a 36T front tooth might not suit fast pace road riding, but given the large 29in tyres, it seems ok.
Like the Tektro Aries mechanical brakes....better than other mechanical brakes I use. Has enough power for my road riding, even after an ebike converstion, and with both pannier bags full, and my 75kg weight.

edsa

Postby edsa » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:52 am

Aldi MTB is going to be on sale again, I think in the next couple of weeks.
for 2019 they have upgraded to a
  • 1x10 11-42,
  • deore derailleur and shifter with
  • tektro hydraulic disc brakes,
  • price increase by $50
manufactured by polygon via retailer bicylesonline
Review here
https://www.ambmag.com.au/gallery/we-te ... ike-529075

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:42 am

Sounds like pretty good value. Probably sell out quickly.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:41 pm

Weirdly my parents are interested in the Aldi Bike for light off road and bike path use. Seems like it would be a good bike just question on size. They are around 170cm tall, the review from AMB suggests that 170cm is the changeover from M to L size - what size would you suggest for them, the frame they are on the upper end of or the frame they are on the lower end in terms of sizing? Keep in mind neither have ridden bikes in 20 years.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:58 pm

Typically for off rod use you aim for the smaller size when there is an option. It slows for better standover clearance and easier handling.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:15 pm

On sale this Saturday 7th, only available in Medium or Large

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:54 pm

Not sure how many they started with, but one left in my local Aldi this afternoon. Never checked what size.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:25 pm

blizzard wrote:Weirdly my parents are interested in the Aldi Bike for light off road and bike path use. Seems like it would be a good bike just question on size. They are around 170cm tall, the review from AMB suggests that 170cm is the changeover from M to L size - what size would you suggest for them, the frame they are on the upper end of or the frame they are on the lower end in terms of sizing? Keep in mind neither have ridden bikes in 20 years.
bychosis wrote:Typically for off road use you aim for the smaller size when there is an option. It allows for better standover clearance and easier handling.
There is usually some crossover in rider height range between sizes to allow for differences in leg/torso proportions; for example two riders 170cm tall, but one has long legs for their height, while the other is shorter in the legs & longer in the torso... The rider with longer legs will likely fit better on the medium frame, as the shorter top tube will fit better with their reach. The rider with shorter legs will somewhat paradoxically fit better on the large frame, as the longer frame will better suit their greater reach.

However, as suggested, if in doubt or within the crossover range, go smaller if there's any intention of "proper" off-road riding; aside from the extra chuckability of the smaller frame size, there's less risk of impact to Sensitive Bits when things go wrong....
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:22 am

Well, I was too busy riding my bike on Saturday morning to get to an Aldi in sufficient time, so I missed out. :( :( :(