Durability - Mavic Aksium or Shimano RS81 C24

gavin_rider

Durability - Mavic Aksium or Shimano RS81 C24

Postby gavin_rider » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:25 am

I am looking to buy some new wheels for training. I looking at either of the following:

1. Mavic Aksium. I have used these before with success and at this stage will be buying these.

2. Shimano RS81 C24. I saw these as more of a racing wheel, however at the price I can see them now, I can afford to buy them.

My question is, how will the RS81's go for durability compared with the Aksiums? Which wheel will last longer? Being a light weight wheel I am figuring the RS81's will not be as strong under my particular training conditions as compared to the Asksiums. However, I don't actually know so thought I'd put this question to the forum.

I do 15,000 km's per year in training, and commute on bike tracks which have numerous bumps - not potholes but a lot of bumps where tree roots are surfacing. I also do a lot of climbing in training which puts a lot of wear and tear on the braking surface of the rims.

Thanks,

Gavin

rodneycc

Re: Durability - Mavic Aksium or Shimano RS81 C24

Postby rodneycc » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:08 pm

Chalk and Cheese these two. Gotta go the RS81s. Unless that is, you want a slow heavy wheel which will improve your training by making you go slower hence working out your body more! :-) . But Nah go the RS81s they are pretty solid, fast wheels unless you go gutter bashing them... :-)

Also look at Fulcrum Racing 5s, Quattro's (which would be my other tip) and Racing 3's/Campy Zonda's and the Campy equivilents to these. All very solid wheels.
Last edited by rodneycc on Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:05 pm

Even though it's the older model, I have had 2 pairs of the RS80's and they were bombproof. Admittedly I'm fairly light at 73kg. I never had to touch them besides getting the bearings looked at on 1 set. I left it too late and the cup was too far gone, so as long as you service them every now and then they should last for years. I hit a massive pothole once with the front wheel and not even a whimper.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

daft1024

Postby daft1024 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:46 pm

Another option to consider is the Fulcrum Racing 3. I bought a set of Fulcrum Racing 3's based on the recommendations of this topic. For $516 including tubes and tyres I think it is a pretty good deal. I was looking at the RS81's and the Fulcrums came out on top for the price (worked out to be ~$150 cheaper) considering they have very similar specs - and pretty highly reviewed.

Since I got mine I've only done 1,000 ish ks over crap b roads, dirt roads, hills, bike paths - basically anything except single or fire tracks. No problems with mine but early days.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:55 pm

mogwaiboi wrote:Even though it's the older model, I have had 2 pairs of the RS80's and they were bombproof. Admittedly I'm fairly light at 73kg.
I'm 10 kg's lighter and also a fan of the older RS80's. I don't think the RS81 wheelset is much different.
Mine have clocked up somewhere between 25 and 30,000km's, I've lost track precisely (thanks Garmin). Either way they've done at least 25K and had zero maintenance or adjustment.
I checked the rear bearings at 25K, a while ago, and the fluoro grease had not discoloured at all so I left them be. No bearing slop and no wobbles.
I'd guess at the brake track having maybe 10K left to go.