Colossi custom steel road frame - advice appreciated

booge

Colossi custom steel road frame - advice appreciated

Postby booge » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:52 pm

On my quest for a steel road frame I've found Colossi bikes. Dutch ex pro's company making steel and Alu bikes in China for other brands.
Also do custom bikes, I've been quoted $1650 for a Columbus Spirit or Life tubing road frame painted in one colour (my choice), with Colossi decals, based on my measurements and the style of riding I do and requirements for the frame, they can also do more intricate paint for extra. The website has plenty of info and the frames they make look very good. Dealer in Oz is "Gear brisbane" (I'm in Vic) who have been lightning fast and helpful answering questions and giving quotes.

Yes I'm cautious, the Reynolds Logic road frameset was the first choice, known brand, recourse i assume would be easier if anything went wrong with it. Has anyone bought from a custom Chinese frame builder?

Is a custom frame from a Western builder really THAT much better?

minhyy

Re: Colossi custom steel road frame - advice appreciated

Postby minhyy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:38 pm

did you mean Ritchey Logic? Aware of the frame, unsure where it is made. Kinda doubt US-made for its price.

I've not owned a Colossi, but have seen some examples of their frames/builds on the internet and they are pretty nice. Don't mind the Cheeko

Gear Brisbane is a reputable shop and their willingness to answer questions seems to mean they stand behind their product. One of their staff, Gypsy, owns/ed a Colossi custom fillet brazed Columbus XCr track frame IIRC which was rather nice

(I am not affiliated with the shop)
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

booge

Postby booge » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:27 pm

I did mean ritchey. I assume they are Asian made also, just an established brand puts me at ease slightly.

I can't fault the service so far from Gear Brisbane, or colossi for that matter. Never experienced such quick replies online.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:22 am

Is a custom frame from a Western builder really THAT much better?
I note your location is Donvale. A few suburbs away in Kangaroo Ground is a frame builder, Ewen Gellie. Call him on 0407 117 100 and have a chat about frame building.

(Disclosure: I have a frame built by Ewen 8 years ago using Zona and Life tubing)

booge

Postby booge » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:28 pm

I've looked hard at his stuff, it's almost double the price for the same frame type and material. They look amazing but I don't think I could justify it to myself. Clearly people who love their custom frames (Gellie or others) rave about them but i wonder how many others ride their expensive custom frame and think "meh, probably spent too much on this."

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:36 pm

A good mate of mine has a custom aluminium Colossi fixie, can't think of the model name off the top of my head. It's a gorgeous bit of gear and he adores it. Screaming bargain at the prices they go for.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:49 pm

If you are buying through the Australian agent, you have some peace of mind compared with buying direct, Colossi have also been visible for a while so they are probably doing the right thing.

A handful of Chinese producers are working on quality production - if this is a question or concern you have, ask the Australian agent and see what they say.
Cycling is in my BNA