Low End road bikes

McPete

Low End road bikes

Postby McPete » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:38 pm

I've been riding for a a while now on my elderly Apollo III, which is a good bike, but I can see a lot of it coming apart at the seams, with the frame starting to show some signifcant rust, the brakes feeling a bit distant, even with my best adjustments, and hesitation from the derailers/shifters in jumping up and down the gears. It's also annoying not being ale to match into a shop be sure of finding a tire, as I've found that supplies of the old imperial measured tires are a bit slim at times. In essence, I'm kinda looking for something a bit newer, but still not too flash.

What I want is a basic road bike with:
•drop bars,
•Shimano STI shifters,
•preferably all-alloy,
•for around $900.
I'd prefer new, but a decent second hand would suffice.

Currently, I've got in my sights a Cell S3300, which I like, as it's Australian built and quite cheap.

There's also a Malvern Star road bike which I saw in Cycle Hub in Wollongong, carbon forks, STI gears for $750 (can't remember the name of it for the life of me though :P)

Any suggestions or comments are welcome!
Thanks,
Peter

kja

Postby kja » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:43 pm

Currently, I've got in my sights a Cell S3300, which I like, as it's Australian built and quite cheap
I have a Cell S3300. I reckon is a great value for money bike and would not hesitate to buy another tomorrow.

That said I have never owned a bike of any higher calibre, and realistically I probable never will, so my opinion may be uneducated.

sogood

Re: Low End road bikes

Postby sogood » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:34 pm

McPete wrote:Currently, I've got in my sights a Cell S3300, which I like, as it's Australian built and quite cheap.
Are you kidding yourself on that Australian built bit? :roll:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

McPete

Postby McPete » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:51 pm

Am I? I was under the impression that the frame is Australian made.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:09 pm

McPete wrote:Am I? I was under the impression that the frame is Australian made.
The frame is almost certainly not Australian made however it is possible that the bike is built (assembled) locally. This is not a bad thing, even most of the well known US brands are made in Tiawan with the exception of the most expensive top of the range models. I think Cell may also be Australian owned. The only frames I am aware of that are made in Australia are very small scale productions which make custom made frames.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:35 pm

You can basically say that the whole bike is made in N Asia, and most likely just Taiwan and China. Cell is just the importer. If it was Australian made, try double the price as a starter.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:58 pm

I think their frame are made in Taiwan.

To my knowledge the only low end bike frame made in Australia is the Europa, made in Queensland. Things change I may no longer be correct.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?