Buying a Bike for Partner (female)

SimonBarry

Buying a Bike for Partner (female)

Postby SimonBarry » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:53 am

Hi,
I currently ride a road bike and am planning on buying a bike for my partner this Christmas.

She has zero interest in a road bike unfortunately...We'll get there eventually

But I want to get her something that could handle a 20-30k ride comfortably and also for her to be happy cycling down to the shops in a skirt!

I found this vintage bike but I'm concerned it might be a bit heavy and not really be suitable for a hilly 20-30k ride.

http://www.99bikes.com.au/bike15-indi-vintage-2

Would love any suggestions. My budget is about $500 but can push it out if needs be

redsonic

Re: Buying a Bike for Partner (female)

Postby redsonic » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:30 am

Hi SB. Welcome to the forum.
I don't really have any advice re the type of bike you are looking at, except to say Aldi have some this Saturday for $199
Aldi Special Buys

Make sure you consider the 20-30km a distant goal, not a Boxing Day challenge! Let her progress at her own pace/ fitness level.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:54 pm

SimonBarry wrote:
I found this vintage bike but I'm concerned it might be a bit heavy and not really be suitable for a hilly 20-30k ride.

http://www.99bikes.com.au/bike15-indi-vintage-2

Would love any suggestions. My budget is about $500 but can push it out if needs be

Don't buy that heavy steel clunker. Have a look at the alloy ones - search for an Electra Townie, or an Electra Amsterdam or something like that. They retail for around $800 or $900 but you can find them secondhand too. I recently bought my girlfriend an almost new Townie for $200 with basket and rear rack. It has 7 speed indexed gears and she loves it.
Some Electra models have either 3 speed Nexus hub gears, or 8 speed hub gears. They are a bit more expensive but I reckon hub gears are brilliant as they never need adjusting. The Amsterdam has a chainguard and skirt guard too.
You pay a bit more for the aluminium frame but the quality and components are first rate. Worth a look.

stoogey

Postby stoogey » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:25 pm

I helped my sister buy a steel dutch bike, and it's hard work going up a hill or lugging it up stairs at the station.

but because she loved the look of the bike she rode it every single day

SimonBarry

Postby SimonBarry » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:36 pm

Thanks all.
Durney Driver - Confirmed my doubts on that one.

I'll check out the ones that you've recommended :D

koshari

Postby koshari » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:11 pm

Specialized also do a range of bikes called "daily" they come in mens and womens frames and have various apointments similar to the previously mentioned electra. http://bicyclehabitat.com/product/globe ... 5126-1.htm

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:56 pm

SimonBarry wrote:But I want to get her something that could handle a (hilly) 20-30k ride comfortably and also for her to be happy cycling down to the shops in a skirt! .... My budget is about $500 but can push it out if needs be

You need two different bikes for that - a lightweight (used) roadie for the long ride and a (heavy but cheap) "vintage" upright for the shopping run.

You can do both with the same bike (light frame with lots of braze ons and fancy bits) but not for $500 - (unless you're bloody lucky). A while back you had to build one yourself or order it bespoke.
Last edited by Thoglette on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:00 pm

You're not going to buy her a bike without consulting her are you? :shock: :shock: :shock: That would be very courageous. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:41 am

If my experience is anything to go by (and it isn't), get the one in her favourite colour.