Replacing Bar Tape 1st Time - Recommendations?

Defy The Odds

Replacing Bar Tape 1st Time - Recommendations?

Postby Defy The Odds » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:34 pm

Ok so I know this has been spoken about before but most of the threads are quite old and I am sure there are new products/obsolete products since then so I thought I'd post this up.

I have a Giant Defy with a Black/White/Bronze colour scheme.

I'll be looking to update the bar tape soon and was wondering:

1. What do people use and why?

2. What colour should I go with?

I like white, looks slick. I know it is harder to keep clean but I wash my bike once or twice a week most weeks now. Initially not often at all as I wasnt riding often and therefore I would clean the bar tape now weekly also if this makes a difference.

Thoughts everyone?

dmwill

Re: Replacing Bar Tape 1st Time - Recommendations?

Postby dmwill » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:34 pm

White looks cool...I rocked it for a year or so. But depending on what kind of tape you get, it's a PITA to keep clean. Some say the "rule" is bar tape must match saddle colour..but IMO you can match it to frame highlight colours, etc.

Unless it's freezing cold, I don't wear gloves, so bar tape feel is important for me. I used to use LizardSkins DSP for the tacky feel, but it's pretty gross when it's hot or humid (this could be party due to no gloves/sweat).

I also found that you need to get DSP wrapped correctly the first time, or it will turn to crap and you can never correct it properly. One it stretched, it's stretched. It's also very easy to scuff/damage, though I'm willing to bet most tacky feel tapes are like this.

I'm using Fizik Endurance soft touch now, can't rally describe the feel (maybe like really worn out velvet/microfibre) but for warmer rides without gloves it feels good. It's not as soft as DSP but my hands feel ok after long rides. Also more resistant to scuffs.

Check out your LBS, most tapes have a sample stuck on the outside of the box to feel.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:41 pm

dmwill wrote:White looks cool...I rocked it for a year or so. But depending on what kind of tape you get, it's a PITA to keep clean. Some say the "rule" is bar tape must match saddle colour..but IMO you can match it to frame highlight colours, etc.

Unless it's freezing cold, I don't wear gloves, so bar tape feel is important for me. I used to use LizardSkins DSP for the tacky feel, but it's pretty gross when it's hot or humid (this could be party due to no gloves/sweat).

I also found that you need to get DSP wrapped correctly the first time, or it will turn to crap and you can never correct it properly. One it stretched, it's stretched. It's also very easy to scuff/damage, though I'm willing to bet most tacky feel tapes are like this.

I'm using Fizik Endurance soft touch now, can't rally describe the feel (maybe like really worn out velvet/microfibre) but for warmer rides without gloves it feels good. It's not as soft as DSP but my hands feel ok after long rides. Also more resistant to scuffs.

Check out your LBS, most tapes have a sample stuck on the outside of the box to feel.

Thanks for that !

I always use gloves. I use them for protection in case of fall and also comfort on the bars.

I have heard of the "rule" regarding bar tape matching saddle however my bike came with white bar tape and black saddle from factory and tbh I prefer the look of white tape. I know some of the shinier white bar tapes are said to be easier to clean but I would assume that their wet weather grip would be compromised

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:Thoughts everyone?

I've always used "cork" tape. Which lasts about two sets of tyres, maybe.

Lovely bicycle has a DIY Two-Tone? Long-Term Impressions of Brooks Leather Handlebar Tape
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:38 am

Go black.

There are some really nice silicon tapes available now, really soft & comfy, durable and grippy. Lizard Skins, Pro (Shimano offshoot), Prologo and Supercaz to name a few to get started are all good.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:07 am

I would suggest Cinelli Zebra tape.

I put on my wife's bike quite some time ago and it has proved very durable. It looks a million dollars on a black and white bike, and doesn't show the dirt as much as plain white.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

paule11

Postby paule11 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:22 am

Have used normal Fizik bit thin but lasts ages .Liked lizard skins but top layer wore off currently using this style but tusk brand .http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MERIDA-Lampr ... aSlE2E51oQ

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:48 pm

Di Pell leather. (Black, naturally) Expensive but fits like a glove, looks amazing and lasts years
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011