Best bike under $2000 for fitness/general use

gummyworms

Best bike under $2000 for fitness/general use

Postby gummyworms » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:59 pm

Hi everyone,

Been wanting a new bike for a while (last one I got was almost 10 years ago) but just unsure which one would be best.

The massive range offered from so many different places is a little overwhelming.

All I know is that the 105 groupset is highly recommended and to avoid Reid bikes.

So with that, I've found the Giant Contend SL 1 Disc looks like a decent choice. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/contend-sl-1-disc

Any other options of similar bikes? Strict max price of $2000, lower would be better.

I'll be using it as a fitness/hobby riding bike, so not after a super racing bike, but something a bit better than a stock standard bike would be great. A good looking bike would be ideal so when I look at it, it inspires me to go for a ride, as weird as that may sound haha

Any help and suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

2wheels_mond

Re: Best bike under $2000 for fitness/general use

Postby 2wheels_mond » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:01 pm

Try and test ride a few different bikes and see what you like. The most important thing is to get the sizing right.

That said, the Giant would make a good choice. Your local dealer should let you test one.

koshari

Postby koshari » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:49 pm

Dunno where the reid critisism comes from. Like all vendors they have different specced bikes. A full 105 falco elite for example would prolly be well overkill for someone that is never gonna race. And at 700 bucks is a very good deal.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:08 pm

Can I suggest perhaps looking at a Cyclo-cross style bike....the reason i suggest this is that they are a good compromise of speed and utility....larger tyres, usually have disc brakes front & rear, have drop bars like a racer but also have the ability to bikepack and do some light touring. For that money you should be able to get a good alloy frame with carbon fork.

Cheers

Brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR -2013

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:09 pm

koshari wrote:Dunno where the reid critisism comes from. Like all vendors they have different specced bikes. A full 105 falco elite for example would prolly be well overkill for someone that is never gonna race. And at 700 bucks is a very good deal.

Agreed, Reid are nailing it for spec at the moment. But nothing larger than a small available for Falcos at the moment, and they're not properly small in terms of length. The Vantage Comp looks awesome in my opinion.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:13 pm

gummyworms wrote:Any help and suggestions would be great.

Is this your first road bike? If it is then I'd get something cheaper until you're sure of your sizing. This may take some time to get your fit right if you are trying to work it out yourself. My latest bike is now pretty sorted, but it took a lot of fiddling and testing over a long time to get it that way. Bike shops are a lottery as to whether the frame size will even be correct. You may have been steered away from Reid for the frame sizing reason. Nothing really wrong with Reid (or Cell, etc) otherwise. You really have to know definitely what frame size you are before you walk into the shop if you want to be assured of a good outcome. I buy my frames online, but then I have a spreadsheet to work out the geometry charts of different frames to give a reach output at a certain stack height. Getting the right frame size and fit isn't really easy with road bikes.

As for the Giant Contend SL 1 Disc. There are at least a couple of reasons why I wouldn't buy it other than you may end up with the wrong size:
- It has a D-Fuse seatpost which locks you in to their seatpost. That's fine if it works well for you and your particular fit, saddle choice, etc. But if not, you're usually locked in. Sell it and get something else.
- It has a press fit bottom bracket. They can give trouble in time by getting noisy, creaking etc.
- I don't know what "semi-hydraulic" brakes mean. Not enough detail. Are they like TRP Hy-Rd and therefore cable to the caliper, or something else?
I have an old Giant and used to like them. But these days they are becoming too proprietory for my liking. Plenty of other brands out there, but a few others a going more proprietory. Specialized comes to mind.

If you buy something more expensive, make sure you keep and take a photo of your receipt. These framesets usually have "lifetime" warranties for the first owner. But they also don't usually last forever, so you may need the receipt in the future if you ride it enough.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:53 pm

gummyworms wrote:...the Giant Contend SL 1 Disc looks like a decent choice...

I bought the Contend SL1 Disc as my first ever road bike and am totally in love with it. After only ever having ridden mountain bikes for fun and commuting/fitness, a road bike has been a revelation.

That said, $2000 is a pretty good budget. Any of the main brands will serve you well so it comes down to what you like the look of, and of course what (to you) rides well and fits well. You'd be splitting hairs on similar models for any well known brand. At the different price points they tend to all have the same running gear eg 105 (which I love btw).
They'll all be alloy frame with carbon forks and mostly 105 for around $2000. It's the wrong time of the year for it, but you can sometimes get a good discount on the "old" model that the bike shops need to clear out before they can stock the latest models. You might ge tlucky and score something with Ultegra or better wheels etc.

Nobody wrote: I don't know what "semi-hydraulic" brakes mean. Not enough detail. Are they like TRP Hy-Rd and therefore cable to the caliper, or something else?

The brake/shifter levers are normal cable operated units, not the bulkier hydraulic levers. These attach into a master cylinder which then pumps hydraulic fluid to the discs. I doubt it'll catch on, Giant call it "Conduct."
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:18 am

Road bikes are great for - road riding, preferably in a group/bunch. I'm a MTBer and bought a roadie to try, early morning are good but it's just too dangerous at other times. I'd prefer to have a Gravel grinder or Flat bar roadie - don't rule them out unless you are bunch riding. There's a bit of choice out there now.

NewStew

Postby NewStew » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:32 am

I picked up a Polygon Bend RV for a replacement commuter and pretty happy with it. It is a "gravel" bike but I have put some 28mm road tyres on it and it rides really well. Alloy frame with carbon forks, full 105 11s hydraulic disc groupset (not the semi hydraulic like Giant which I cant get my head around). Bought it online and if you arent into your own mechanical work you may want to get someone to give it a once over for you (I re-ran the shifter cables for a cleaner run for example). That said it is worth getting the fit right - I took the chance as I am pretty much "normal" shaped (from previous bikes I have had) and the commute is not too onerous.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:00 am

$2k is a good budget for a first road bike.

If you havent really ridden road bikes before, it may pay to look at some thing with geometry suited to endurance rides. They will be more upright than a race bike therefore more comfortable, and you can make them racier/sportier with some small upgrades.

Personally I ride a Giant Defy Composite 2. If I was in the market today I would look at the Giant Defy Advanced 2 or 3.

The only difference I can see is that the 3 has Shimano Tiagra gears and the 2 has 105. To be honest I doubt there would be much of a difference in either gearset, especially for a beginner.

They use disc brakes which I like for wet weather, and are a model that has been around for years.

As far as looks goes, that is always subjective but I quite like their looks, that would be your call in the end

Here they are:

Defy Advanced 2:

Defy advanced 3:

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:44 pm

I love the blue on the Defy Advanced
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!