CX Tyre Choices

mogwaiboi

CX Tyre Choices

Postby mogwaiboi » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:33 am

Hi All

I've finally ordered a CX bike and pick it up next week. I ended up going for the Giant TCX SLR 2. I'm just not sure which tubeless tyres I should go for. The shop recommended the SOMA Cazadero 42mm, but I'm not sure if that's overkill for what sort of rides I'll be doing. I mentioned to a friend the shop is going to set it up with 42mm tyres and he said go for 32mm as they won't be quite as slow or cumbersome on longer rides. I envision myself doing mainly long gravel / dirt rides of 100km+. The Schwalbe G-One looks quite good, the narrowest version is the 35mm, also Challenge Gravel Grinder 33mm but I read they can't be run tubeless.
Any input would be greatly appreciated :)
In search of up - Hells 500

RonK

Re: CX Tyre Choices

Postby RonK » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:20 pm

I chose Cazaderos for my bikepacking bike after long and careful research. They are an excellent choice for gravel grinding and the tread design with its centre rail rolls very well on all surfaces. Oh, and BTW, Cazaderos are not tubeless ready, however they are made by Panasonic (Panaracer) so the casing is top quality and very supple. I am running them ghetto tubeless without issue.

However there are many choices, so I suggest you start by look at Riding Gravel's Gravel Tire Finder. It is a fairly comprehensive albeit not quite exhaustive listing of gravel tyres.

Guitar Ted has reviewed some of the listed tyres for Riding Gravel, so it's worth having a good look over the the site. It's an excellent resource for gravel riders - but be warned it may leave you wondering why you bought a CX bike for long-distance gravel grinding.

The Challenge Gravel Grinder is by all accounts a very good tyre, but it's not tubeless ready. I would be thinking the Clement X'Plor MSO if you prefer something less wide than the Cazaderos. These are definitely offered in a tubeless-ready version.

I came very close to choosing them myself, but for my purposes I want something even wider, so the Cazaderos are really my around-town/local rides tyre, and I will use 2.1" Vittoria Mezcals for the bikepacking trips I'm planning
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:49 pm

RonK wrote:I chose Cazaderos for my bikepacking bike after long and careful research. They are an excellent choice for gravel grinding and the tread design with its centre rail rolls very well on all surfaces. Oh, and BTW, Cazaderos are not tubeless ready, however they are made by Panasonic (Panaracer) so the casing is top quality and very supple. I am running them ghetto tubeless without issue.

However there are many choices, so I suggest you start by look at Riding Gravel's Gravel Tire Finder. It is a fairly comprehensive albeit not quite exhaustive listing of gravel tyres.

Guitar Ted has reviewed some of the listed tyres for Riding Gravel, so it's worth having a good look over the the site. It's an excellent resource for gravel riders - but be warned it may leave you wondering why you bought a CX bike for long-distance gravel grinding.

The Challenge Gravel Grinder is by all accounts a very good tyre, but it's not tubeless ready. I would be thinking the Clement X'Plor MSO if you prefer something less wide than the Cazaderos. These are definitely offered in a tubeless-ready version.

I came very close to choosing them myself, but for my purposes I want something even wider, so the Cazaderos are really my around-town/local rides tyre, and I will use 2.1" Vittoria Mezcals for the bikepacking trips I'm planning

Thanks a lot Ronk, there is some good info there. I'll check that website out. Yes the Clement X'Plor MSO would be my choice if I went narrower.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:49 pm

I run the Challenge Gravel Grinder in the 38 mm clincher version which measures 35 mm. As much as I'd prefer to run tubeless...these are tubed with Continental tubes filled with Joe's No Flats. And they've been nearly faultless. Despite numerous punctures due to three corner jacks. The actual tyre is quite impressive especially in loose sand but also generally even on rock & gravel roads and even singletrack. Speed, stability and predictability is something they seem to excel at.

I don't think I'd go with the narrower open tubular version because it is still tubed without the width advantages of the 38 mm version.

Still hunting a decent tubeless gravel tyre but not convinced the weight and performance advantage is there...yet.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:40 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. They didn't have my size in the 2017 TCX SLR 2 so they offered me the 2016 TCX Advanced Pro 2 for $300 more. Done deal! I decided to set the bike up initally with the Clement Xplor MSO 40 to test them out. The shop advised I can change to the SOMA Cazadero if I'm not happy or want to compare. Now to find some dirt :-)

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:15 pm

Been running the X’Plor USH for a few months now, seem good on the tar, just ok off tar in the dry, not so much in the mud or slush. Lots of fiddling with PSI. I tend to go the less than 40 mm at 35mm and for the past 5 years have been more than happy with ritchey speedmax in various tread patterns as they are pretty robust and more or less set and forget. Still use panaracer crossblasters from time to time but they are so, so soft in tread and sidewall that they are best used on grass or sloppy mud, my call is that being such a light weight, really makes them unsuitable for Australian bush tracks, but I would think the gravel king sk may work pretty well. Also have a set of Kenda Small Block Eight in 35mm I need to try... sometime.