Advice for a big fellow's new bike

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Postby MJF » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:45 am

TriggerFish wrote: My problem stemmed from a similar situation to yours, but, I also used to be a very active sportsman. As a result, I could pretty much eat what I wanted and stay pretty fit. After stopping all the sport and taking up the activities that you mentioned, unfortunately my appetite didn't adjust so well to the new lifestyle.....*sigh*.


Lol! Same here. 200 - 300Km a week riding, squash, swimming, weights... Ah, the life of a uni student. Then I got a job where I sit on my arse all day :x
MJF
 
Posts: 972
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:18 pm

by BNA » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:03 am

BNA
 

Postby TriggerFish » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:03 am

MJF wrote:Lol! Same here. 200 - 300Km a week riding, squash, swimming, weights... Ah, the life of a uni student. Then I got a job where I sit on my arse all day :x


hehe....like Uni wasn't the best thing ever! Those were the days.

europa wrote:If you have anything like nerdish tendancies, you'll love your bike computer


lol...unfortunately it is my nerdish tendancies that have lead me on my quest. Working in IT seems to be a great way to push you towards a health kick.

peterrjleach wrote:The Cannondale is a good bike, but I think it's a pretty expensive 'beginner'.


I agree on it being a touch on the expensive side. It was more than I had originally intended to spend. I am someone who likes quality though and I would rather invest in quality than face the same issues I had with the old MTB in the shed.

I have been doing the commute 2-3 times a week few months (more 2 than 3 if I am honest about it :wink: ). Already I have found the investment worthwhile after my second commute in for this week. The lifetime warranty on the frame was a big selling point for me. The deed is done and I am fairly comfortable with the outcome. Time will tell I guess.

peterrjleach wrote:The guys that were trying to sell you a Bianchi should be shot - they are lovely bikes, but what if you didn't really like riding?


Yeah....wont be going back there in a hurry.

peterrjleach wrote:Looking through the thread, I can pretty well pick which shops were visited and who said what in each one!


What is the ettiquette on naming names so to speak? Is it ok to name the store you were happy with? Bad form to name the one you werent happy with? I wouldn't mind giving a plug to a couple of places that I went to that were quite helpful. Mind you, Canberra being what it is, most people doing the rounds would know straight away as you say...hehe :D .
User avatar
TriggerFish
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:29 pm
Location: Canberra, ACT.

Postby pugsly » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:26 am

TriggerFish wrote:
What is the ettiquette on naming names so to speak? Is it ok to name the store you were happy with? Bad form to name the one you werent happy with? I wouldn't mind giving a plug to a couple of places that I went to that were quite helpful. Mind you, Canberra being what it is, most people doing the rounds would know straight away as you say...hehe :D .


That's a good question. I'm pretty happy with the guy I've been dealing with, and wouldn't mind giving him a plug. I know some other forums are pretty strict on naming names.
User avatar
pugsly
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:21 am
Location: Glen Waverley

Postby europa » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:20 am

Name shops if you wish, but keep it positive - and if you are indulging in advertising you'll find yourself banned without any qualms.

If you wish to criticise a shop, keep it polite, keep it factual, bear in mind the slander laws, and don't complain if a moderator deletes or modifies the post because there will not be any arguments - the umpire's decision is final.

In either case, you are giving your own opinion so be prepared for opposing opinions - experiences can vary greatly.

Richard
moderator
User avatar
europa
 
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:51 am
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby pugsly » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:34 am

europa wrote:Name shops if you wish, but keep it positive - and if you are indulging in advertising you'll find yourself banned without any qualms.

If you wish to criticise a shop, keep it polite, keep it factual, bear in mind the slander laws, and don't complain if a moderator deletes or modifies the post because there will not be any arguments - the umpire's decision is final.

In either case, you are giving your own opinion so be prepared for opposing opinions - experiences can vary greatly.

Richard
moderator


All sounds reasonable to me!
User avatar
pugsly
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:21 am
Location: Glen Waverley

Postby TriggerFish » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:44 am

Ditto :) . No spruking from this little black duck.

Personally I feel like everyone today is ready to give negative feedback on anything and everything with positive feedback and praise very thin on the ground. I like to give the positive feedback as I know I can whinge about stuff when I am unhappy. I thanked the guy who helped me do the final fitout of my new bike when I picked it up. I also asked that he pass on my thanks to the other 4 people who had helped me during my purchasing experience. I said that they had been very helpful and friendly, which was true. He seemed quite chuffed and that was enough for me. I hope it made his day a little better.
User avatar
TriggerFish
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:29 pm
Location: Canberra, ACT.

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:55 pm

Hi,

I agree, no problems naming shops you like or don't like. Just keep it factual. I think its nice to hear about bikes shops that are particularly good service... and to be warned about black sheeps.

The admins (including me) do delete posts that are innappropriate, defamatory or are considered spam or commercial. If you are unsure, ask one of the admins (they are quite nice and helpful actually).

Cheers
Christopher
User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8464
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney

Postby europa » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:01 pm

AUbicycles wrote:(they are quite nice and helpful actually)


When did that slip into the job description :?

Richard
User avatar
europa
 
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:51 am
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Previous

Return to Buying a bike / parts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot]



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist