Powertap P1 data on Edge 820

rockpaper
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:10 pm

Powertap P1 data on Edge 820

Postby rockpaper » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:26 am

Hello,

I am looking at the Powertap P1 pedals.
I had another thread about comparing power meters but thought this woudl be a different thread.


Does anyone know what data is available on the Edge 820 from the powertap P1 pedals?

thanks!

User avatar
Phil
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:07 am
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Powertap P1 data on Edge 820

Postby Phil » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:29 pm

I use an Edge 820 as well.

Looking at Garmin Connect on my phone it records:
Avg Power
Max Power
Max Avg Power (20 min)
L/R Balance
L/R Torque Effectiveness
L/R Pedal Smothness
Normalized Power
Intensity Factor
Training Stress Score
Work
Avg Bike Cadence
Max Bike Cadence.

Dont think you get much (if any) more from the Vector pedals.
Image

rockpaper
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:10 pm

Re: Powertap P1 data on Edge 820

Postby rockpaper » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:54 pm

Phil wrote:I use an Edge 820 as well.

Looking at Garmin Connect on my phone it records:
Avg Power
Max Power
Max Avg Power (20 min)
L/R Balance
L/R Torque Effectiveness
L/R Pedal Smothness
Normalized Power
Intensity Factor
Training Stress Score
Work
Avg Bike Cadence
Max Bike Cadence.

Dont think you get much (if any) more from the Vector pedals.



Thanks for the reply, Phil.

do you see any pf these on the Edge device during the ride?

I am particularly interested in the following two showing up as these woudl be much the same as the vector, then:
L/R Torque Effectiveness
L/R Pedal Smoothness


and I assume the following are there:
L/R Balance
Avg Power
Max Power
Max Avg Power
Avg Bike Cadence
Max Bike Cadence


How do you find the PowerTap P1?


cheers!

User avatar
nickobec
Posts: 1865
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:51 am
Location: Perth or 42km south as the singlespeed flies
Contact:

Re: Powertap P1 data on Edge 820

Postby nickobec » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:27 pm

rockpaper wrote:L/R Torque Effectiveness
L/R Pedal Smoothness
L/R Balance
Avg Power
Max Power
Max Avg Power
Avg Bike Cadence
Max Bike Cadence


I run my P1s with Edge 510.

You get all those displayed and captured except Max Avg Power, unsure what you mean.

The 510 has time spent pedalling seated and time spent pedalling standing. With the P1 and 510 time spent pedalling (either seated or standing) is recorded as time spent pedalling seated. Nothing is every recorded as time spent pedalling standing, even if you spend a minute climbing out of the saddle.

rockpaper
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:10 pm

Re: Powertap P1 data on Edge 820

Postby rockpaper » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:31 pm

nickobec wrote:I run my P1s with Edge 510.

You get all those displayed and captured except Max Avg Power, unsure what you mean.

The 510 has time spent pedalling seated and time spent pedalling standing. With the P1 and 510 time spent pedalling (either seated or standing) is recorded as time spent pedalling seated. Nothing is every recorded as time spent pedalling standing, even if you spend a minute climbing out of the saddle.


Hi Nick. Thanks for the reply.
that's great information as I was hoping to get those on my Edge.

I know you like the pedals so won't need to ask again.

cheers!

lewie15
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Re: Powertap P1 data on Edge 820

Postby lewie15 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:06 pm

Any updates on this. I'm about to buy some P1's and am interested in what live data I will be able to see on my Edge 520.
Image

User avatar
A_P
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:07 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: Powertap P1 data on Edge 820

Postby A_P » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:19 pm

3s , 30s and average lap power are the main ones i use when training
the rest is more for post ride analysis IMO
Image

lewie15
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Re: Powertap P1 data on Edge 820

Postby lewie15 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:26 pm

A_P wrote:3s , 30s and average lap power are the main ones i use when training
the rest is more for post ride analysis IMO

Thanks. Can you see L/R balance while riding as well?
Image

User avatar
A_P
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:07 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: Powertap P1 data on Edge 820

Postby A_P » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:38 pm

No, i'd suspect you would need a garmin PM to get that.
Image

lewie15
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Re: Powertap P1 data on Edge 820

Postby lewie15 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:05 pm

A_P wrote:No, i'd suspect you would need a garmin PM to get that.

That sucks!
Image

User avatar
A_P
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:07 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: Powertap P1 data on Edge 820

Postby A_P » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:13 pm

lewie15 wrote:
A_P wrote:No, i'd suspect you would need a garmin PM to get that.

That sucks!

Its not something that i really look at, im usually 49/51 or 50/50 .
I rode 40K with a #patella one morining and it was about 45/55
Probably useful if you had a known large imbalace
Image

User avatar
nickobec
Posts: 1865
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:51 am
Location: Perth or 42km south as the singlespeed flies
Contact:

Re: Powertap P1 data on Edge 820

Postby nickobec » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:03 am

lewie15 wrote:Thanks. Can you see L/R balance while riding as well?


Yes, using Garmin 510 and P1s

lewie15
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Re: Powertap P1 data on Edge 820

Postby lewie15 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:14 am

nickobec wrote:
lewie15 wrote:Thanks. Can you see L/R balance while riding as well?


Yes, using Garmin 510 and P1s

Thanks. Surely the Edge 520 would show the same them.
Image

User avatar
CaffeineAU
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:03 pm

Re: Powertap P1 data on Edge 820

Postby CaffeineAU » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:45 pm

My Edge 820 shows a variety of balance data fields you can add to the screens.

Image
820 balance options by CaffeineAU, on Flickr

lewie15
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Re: Powertap P1 data on Edge 820

Postby lewie15 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:38 pm

CaffeineAU wrote:My Edge 820 shows a variety of balance data fields you can add to the screens.

Image
820 balance options by CaffeineAU, on Flickr

Thanks for the reply. Now I need to wait for Pushy's to get the P1's back in stock and to send out a discount code.
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cosh, Google [Bot], OnTrackZeD