Upgrading Stem and Bars?

Defy The Odds

Upgrading Stem and Bars?

Postby Defy The Odds » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:35 pm

So I've put up another post earlier on a possible upgrade to a TCR but I've decided against it considering the similarities with my bike in my size frame.

My bike is a 2013 Giant Defy Composite 2. I've upgraded the wheels to Fulcrum Racing Quattro LG's and a SRAM Force rear derailleur. Other than that, it's virtually stock.

I have started riding longer distances and to be honest I really enjoy the bike. Of course I have bike envy, I have mates riding very expensive bikes, but I enjoy the comfort and liveliness of the Defy in XS size.

Now, since I am keeping the Defy, I am considering upgrading the bar and stem to a carbon setup, maybe from the ZIPP catalogue. Main reasons for potential upgrade is:

1. Comfort: the carbon bars and stem would hopefully absorb more of the road buzz and give me less fatigue on longer rides

2. Weight loss: might make the front end lighter and a bit snappier (for lack of a better word)

3. Aesthetics: nice to look at

I will probably eventually upgrade the wheels to something carbon also for a bit more of an aero advantage and further weight loss

The last point id like to make is that the stem and bars could be transferred to the next bike so I don't see them as a pointless upgrade but happy to given the good and bad points from those in the know

Cheers !

Duck!
Expert

Re: Upgrading Stem and Bars?

Postby Duck! » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:21 pm

The main advantage is vibration absorption; you won't feel much, if any at all, difference in the handling unless you change bar & stem length, as handling response is determined by geometry, not weight. Unless you're unleashing your inner MTB-er & popping wheelies & jumping over things, where reduced weight makes lifting the front easier....
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:25 pm

Duck! wrote:The main advantage is vibration absorption; you won't feel much, if any at all, difference in the handling unless you change bar & stem length, as handling response is determined by geometry, not weight. Unless you're unleashing your inner MTB-er & popping wheelies & jumping over things, where reduced weight makes lifting the front easier....
Will definately be increasing stem length. Standard is a 90mm going most likely to 110mm (depending on bike fit Assessment but I feel this should be about right). I know I will sacrifice some handling with a longer stem but rather be comfortable. I'm not trying to imitate Casey Stoner.

With regards to comfort, I'd like to try and eliminate as much road buzz as possible, lose some of that numbness you get in your hands after a period of time.

I ride in the drops alot too if that makes any difference

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:50 pm

Yep, lengthening the stem will take some snappiness out of the handling, and you won't get it back by cutting weight. The carbon bits will reduce the buzz though.

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:25 am

Defy The Odds wrote: Will definately be increasing stem length. Standard is a 90mm going most likely to 110mm (depending on bike fit Assessment but I feel this should be about right). I know I will sacrifice some handling with a longer stem but rather be comfortable. I'm not trying to imitate Casey Stoner.

With regards to comfort, I'd like to try and eliminate as much road buzz as possible, lose some of that numbness you get in your hands after a period of time.
Glad to read that you're having a bike fitting... there's no use trying to replace parts such as your stem without first having someone measure you up ... you'd be surprised how a small difference in size can make such a big difference in comfort so good move :-) ... if possible, get the bike fitter to check your seat pressure ie. how hard and in what position your seat bones are pressing into the saddle ... a small tweak goes a VERY long way and your backside/back/neck will thank you.

I have a 3T top of the wazzer carbon stem and bars on my bike ... I might be going against the grain here but I didn't find a huge amount of difference in comfort compared to the original aluminium stem/bar ... definitely more bling factor but also very, very $$$$. I still get numb hands... sometimes after only a relatively short time... it's more to do with nerve pressure in your arm and hands than from what your bars are made from.

I found most comfort was had by using really good, thick bar tape ... I used to double wrap my bars but that sometimes left you a little short so now I cut a length of old bar tape and tape it (with insulation tape) to the section of the bars I normally grip... I then tape up my bars as per normal with the new bar tape.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:07 am

Dodgy-Knee wrote:
Defy The Odds wrote: Will definately be increasing stem length. Standard is a 90mm going most likely to 110mm (depending on bike fit Assessment but I feel this should be about right). I know I will sacrifice some handling with a longer stem but rather be comfortable. I'm not trying to imitate Casey Stoner.

Glad to read that you're having a bike fitting... there's no use trying to replace parts such as your stem without first having someone measure you up ... you'd be surprised how a small difference in size can make such a big difference in comfort so good move :-) ... if possible, get the bike fitter to check your seat pressure ie. how hard and in what position your seat bones are pressing into the saddle ... a small tweak goes a VERY long way and your backside/back/neck will thank you.

I have a 3T top of the wazzer carbon stem and bars on my bike ... I might be going against the grain here but I didn't find a huge amount of difference in comfort compared to the original aluminium stem/bar ... definitely more bling factor but also very, very $$$$. I still get numb hands... sometimes after only a relatively short time... it's more to do with nerve pressure in your arm and hands than from what your bars are made from.

I found most comfort was had by using really good, thick bar tape ... I used to double wrap my bars but that sometimes left you a little short so now I cut a length of old bar tape and tape it (with insulation tape) to the section of the bars I normally grip... I then tape up my bars as per normal with the new bar tape.
Thanks for the honest feedback. What I might do is wait and see what the fitter recommends and if I have to swap out the stem for a longer one then I might possibly go carbon or a light aluminium one.

The bar tape solution makes sense too... I have also heard that investing in quality gloves makes a huge difference

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:24 pm

I upgraded to a carbon bar after finding a Colnago set ludicrously cheap in a bargain bin ($15, retail was about $400). Weight was a small motivator, though I was surprised how much lighter they were (220g vs 390g) - actually I was more surprised at how heavy the OEMs were...

The main reason was for the shape - a bigger radius through the drop made them flatter in the palm.

I can't say I noticed any significant vibration difference, though they do seem more flexible if you lean on them - not something I notice on the road though. I did change bar tape at the same time however.

Stem geometry should entirely be down to the skill of your fitter. The material it is made of is a very minor afterthought. At best you might save about 50g, for potentially a large amount of money.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:31 pm

MattyK wrote:I upgraded to a carbon bar after finding a Colnago set ludicrously cheap in a bargain bin ($15, retail was about $400). Weight was a small motivator, though I was surprised how much lighter they were (220g vs 390g) - actually I was more surprised at how heavy the OEMs were...

The main reason was for the shape - a bigger radius through the drop made them flatter in the palm.

I can't say I noticed any significant vibration difference, though they do seem more flexible if you lean on them - not something I notice on the road though. I did change bar tape at the same time however.

Stem geometry should entirely be down to the skill of your fitter. The material it is made of is a very minor afterthought. At best you might save about 50g, for potentially a large amount of money.
Hey Matty,

The weight is kind of a 'by product' it was primarily for comfort that I was looking to upgrade to carbon... and maybe a bit of bling, I must admit.

I was thinking a combination of fresh, nice bar tape together with carbon bars and stem would nut out some road buzz on those 50km+ rides

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:01 pm

I think good tyres, wide as possible at the right pressure would have more effect than changing the stem and bars.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:14 pm

hamishm wrote:I think good tyres, wide as possible at the right pressure would have more effect than changing the stem and bars.
I already have 25's at the moment it's as wide as I can go (Schwalbe One tyres seem wider than they are rated) running 85-90 psi so it's not too bad, but every bit helps when it comes to comfort IMO

Abby

Postby Abby » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:35 pm

Would respectfully suggest that some of the bar tape options (eg double-taping, or a really nice gel tape) would have a bigger effect on comfort than going carbon. Plus a lot cheaper too... :-)
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

defy1

Postby defy1 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:22 pm

Personally, I wouldn't want any part of my cockpit to be carbon..I value my teeth :)

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:16 pm

defy1 wrote:Personally, I wouldn't want any part of my cockpit to be carbon..I value my teeth :)
Why would your teeth be at risk because of a carbon stem/bars?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:38 pm

Typical outdated misconception....

I've got carbon bars on both of my MTBs, one with an alloy stem & full aluminium frame, the other full carbon frame with carbon/alloy hybrid stem, both full suspension. Even with the springs & 2.1" tyres at around 20psi, the carbon bars take out the trail vibrations that the suspension is not sensitive enough to iron out in a way that aluminium bars can't do.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:54 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:
defy1 wrote:Personally, I wouldn't want any part of my cockpit to be carbon..I value my teeth :)
I am sure its fine most of the time, but when carbon fails, it snaps, and for your cockpit its not the best idea. Most pros use aluminium because of this, plus I was in the same boat a while back, and did not see see big weight advantage using carbon for bar/stem. In terms of comfort, a good bar tape or double bar tape works just as well. I would save my money for things that give more bang for buck like wheels.

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:57 am

Been using carbon bars for 4-5 years and never had any sign of failure. Had a Pro set with carbon stem as well and now on 3T. Cant say i noticed much difference with the stem, bars are more flexy than alu and certainly take out the road buzz. I like thin tape so it helps having carbon bars. Be aware that with your brand of bike you will need to double check the stem you may be looking at as Giant do their own thing with steerer size.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:08 pm

defy1 wrote:
Defy The Odds wrote:
I am sure its fine most of the time, but when carbon fails, it snaps, and for your cockpit its not the best idea. Most pros use aluminium because of this, plus I was in the same boat a while back, and did not see see big weight advantage using carbon for bar/stem. In terms of comfort, a good bar tape or double bar tape works just as well. I would save my money for things that give more bang for buck like wheels.
from experience when aluminum bars fail they snap as well with all the same consequences as snapped carbon bars. They are not thick enough to enable them to fail gracefully