Water resistant and thermal bibs

fat and old

Water resistant and thermal bibs

Postby fat and old » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:38 pm

With winter coming up, those "waterproof" type bibs are on the radar again.

I usually make it through winter in shorts, the cold doesn't really bother me. Cold and wet sucks. So I'm wondering about these nanoflex, shadow, whatever you call them shorts. Any experience here? Recommendations? Melbourne weather, a few sub zero mornings s year, lots of wet ones. I'm an Assos fan fwiw.

TheWall

Re: Water resistant and thermal bibs

Postby TheWall » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:20 pm

Howdy,

I own the full length Castelli Nanoflex bibs. They really do work at repelling the water but they do lack some frontal thermal protection for the colder temps. I would say, if I was riding at temps, say less than 3-4 degrees, I would add a layer underneath them. But I am a Qlder...

Matt

CycloTron

Postby CycloTron » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:30 am

No experience with Assos here, sorry but I'll share my experience with some that I do use:

Castelli Nanoflex Bib Tights - Have worn in a constant drizzle at around 6°C for a 1 hour morning commute. Kept me dry and was warm enough. Nice fit and I like matte texture of the Nanoflex fabric.

Gore Bike Wear Oxygen (I think) Windstopper Bib Tights - Very windproof, even at 5°C going at 50km/h downhill you don't feel a thing. I only use this for very cold days as it's easy to overheat in softshell gear such as this. However, breathability is good given its protective qualities. Also is quite water resistant. Size one down from Castelli.

Castelli Sorpasso Bib Knicks - Thermal, not waterproof but great for when you're pushing a little harder; top notch chamois. I now tend to wear knicks or thermal shorts and knee warmers (Nanoflex ones are pretty good but my favourite are some Nalinis I got from PBK) at most in winter, unless commuting.

Hopefully you can get some good deals from overseas in your size, but I fear you may have just missed the spring clearout, unless you're not a regular sized person :)

Hope that helps a little.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:29 am

fat and old wrote:With winter coming up, those "waterproof" type bibs are on the radar again.

I usually make it through winter in shorts, the cold doesn't really bother me. Cold and wet sucks. So I'm wondering about these nanoflex, shadow, whatever you call them shorts. Any experience here? Recommendations? Melbourne weather, a few sub zero mornings s year, lots of wet ones. I'm an Assos fan fwiw.
Have you thought about Pas Normal Studios: http://www.pasnormalstudios.com/
http://regroupbicycles.com/2016/12/21/p ... it-review/

http://www.pasnormalstudios.com/product ... -bib-navy/
http://www.pasnormalstudios.com/product ... rsey-navy/
http://www.pasnormalstudios.com/product ... cket-navy/

Those bibs are waterproof and also aimed at cold temperatures. You could also add their base layers too, at a cost. :shock:

They do some really, really high quality cycling kit. Unfortunately with high end pricing (but then Assos is equally costly). They seem to get good reviews as far as fit is concerned, and understated designs. If I hadn't bought some Attaquer kit recently, I'd have gone for those instead in time for winter. They have a crash replacement policy as well.

CycloTron wrote:Hopefully you can get some good deals from overseas in your size, but I fear you may have just missed the spring clearout, unless you're not a regular sized person :)

Hope that helps a little.
I wondered why everything was out of stock in a lot of places overseas. Unless you are like XL or XXL sizes, nobody has anything in S sizes.
Last edited by g-boaf on Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

panosk

Postby panosk » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:41 am

These are not bibs, and don't have any thermal material, but for rainy days and cold weather you can't get anything better.
Full rain protection up to 45min of continuous rain and fully windproof without overheating.

http://www.goreapparel.com/gore-bike-we ... GMELE.html
...each turn of the pedals, every single meter gained, hurts...

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:56 am

Keep em coming. Thanks fellas.

Against the Castellis: the rather hideous branding that all of the Nano series clothing seems to have. Pro is rep.

The Gores are probably the best, but I wear shorts year round. On and off the bike, unless I have to suit up or attend a strict site.

Pas Normal...sure you're not having a sly dig there G? :lol: Joking, joking. I'd never come across them, thanks. I'll def have a look into those. Pricing is not as important as keeping what's left of me down there happy :D Anyway compared to Assos everything else seems reasonable. Except Raphas Shadow stuff. :shock:

CycloTron

Postby CycloTron » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:13 am

fat and old wrote:Keep em coming. Thanks fellas.

Against the Castellis: the rather hideous branding that all of the Nano series clothing seems to have. Pro is rep.

The Gores are probably the best, but I wear shorts year round. On and off the bike, unless I have to suit up or attend a strict site.

Pas Normal...sure you're not having a sly dig there G? :lol: Joking, joking. I'd never come across them, thanks. I'll def have a look into those. Pricing is not as important as keeping what's left of me down there happy :D Anyway compared to Assos everything else seems reasonable. Except Raphas Shadow stuff. :shock:
Yes, that Nanoflex branding is a bit unattractive, unfortunately.

IIRC, Gore makes the Windstopper bibs in shorts, 3/4 and tights, so you can choose your length.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:03 pm

g-boaf wrote: ...
Have you thought about Pas Normal Studios: http://www.pasnormalstudios.com/
No idea re quality, but those prices are eye watering.

Without shipping, they plain jersey is about A$250 :shock: :shock: :shock:

And those shorts you linked to are over A$360.

I like quality, but that is nuts !!!

PS - Have some Gore stuff, and it's good quality and not too expensive

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:17 pm

MichaelB wrote:
I like quality, but that is nuts !!!
I like both. Especially mine :lol: Commuting all day with a wet chamois is asking too much of the boys.

Of course, there's probably no such thing as bibs that stay 100% dry, but I'll settle for warmth.

Will look at the Gore's you blokes recommend. Thanks

Oh...eye watering......

http://www.this link is broken/assos-tcampioniss ... bib-short/

560 clams :shock: Who says Wiggle is cheap?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:25 pm

fat and old wrote:Keep em coming. Thanks fellas.

Never tried rapha or assos, so I don't know what they are like. In any case, Pas Normal is no joke, at least as far as prices go. :shock:
fat and old wrote: Oh...eye watering......

http://www.this link is broken/assos-tcampioniss ... bib-short/

560 clams :shock: Who says Wiggle is cheap?
$560?? Is it stitched together from gold??? :shock: :shock: :shock: My god that is expensive! And I was about to complain about that Danish stuff costing a lot.

At least that has one benefit, it looks low key but also pretty good. I'd love to get this kit, but at that price, it won't be soon. A full set of that stuff with base layers and everything else could be very nearly the cost of my flight to Europe this year. :shock:

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:24 pm

I am from Perth so in winter you get cold less than 5C (for my morning commute/training days) or wet, but not both.

You need to know the nanoflex (and the gabba) is water repellent/resistant not water proof, if you ride in the rain long enough and especially with water getting flicked up from your rear wheel you will get wet.

Don't regularly commute/train in the pouring rain, but I do race in all weathers. So when it rains, race kit is castelli gabba and castelli nanoflex bib shorts. As long as you have an ass saver, you will stay dry in the pouring rain for 20 minutes, after 40 minutes you will be throughly wet but warm, no matter what speeds you do on descents. Raced 90 minutes in a storm once, lost half the bunch during the race, and most of the finishers complained about the cold, I did not.

I do commute/train up to 3 hours some days with light rain, if is above 8C it is castelli gabba, castelli nanoflex bib shorts and sometimes nanoflex armwarmers. Below 8C castelli nanoflex bib knicks and a capo lombardia long sleeve jersey. They do the job I stay warm and dry.

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:55 am

alternative option would have to include the Sportful Fiandre NoRain range of bibs and knicks.

ShowerPass and O2 also make dedicated cycling rainwear for commuting and all-day riding purposes. this "hybrid pants" is on sale at half price at the moment - https://www.showerspass.com/products/hybrid-zip-pant

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:30 am

caneye wrote:alternative option would have to include the Sportful Fiandre NoRain range of bibs and knicks.

ShowerPass and O2 also make dedicated cycling rainwear for commuting and all-day riding purposes. this "hybrid pants" is on sale at half price at the moment - https://www.showerspass.com/products/hybrid-zip-pant
This product is only available to ship throughout North America. International customers please contact us if you are interested in this product.
Might be difficult to get. And looks pretty bulky to wear.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:30 pm

Bendigo is colder than Melb.
I have a few pairs of bib longs, not water resistant though.
I find them too warm. As long as my feet, hands and torso are good, leg warmers are fine.
I dont use the bib longs. I do use a good winter jacket, ski gloves and booties though.
The legs are the engine room. They generate too much heat for the longs unless it is below zero.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:30 am

that has been my experience too. leg warmers more handy than thermal bibs, even down to the low single digits.
what surprises me is that the leg warmers cost no more than $15 (when on Special) .. Cell's Roubaix warmers. best value for money in the market, i reckon. i've used them in light showers but never heavy rain. they dry very quickly.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:48 pm

I used bib longs one winter, never since. Too hot. Never tried warmers.

Sportful seems to have weird sizing. DHB has their own version too, much cheaper than others.

Thanks fellas. :)