Which new comfy bib?

Arbuckle23

Re: Which new comfy bib?

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:00 am

To continue this thread.
Can get some Assos T.MilleShort-s7 bibs for under $200.
Anyone got these? Online reviews seem positive, but you never know with some of the review sites as some stuff seems to be a repeat of the company blurb.

I note that Assos size on height rather than waist size. I am 176 cm and 85-86 cm waist (74 kg).
Based on their sizing chart I would be a medium, what are real word experiences?

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:33 pm

I'm 172cm / 73kg and when I tried on Assos the M was definitely too loose. Size S was a much better fit.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:41 am

I found Assos to be on the smaller end in their sizing. :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:49 pm

After some months of riding with Attaquer kit, I think for me at least, Cuore is still better.

I rode over 160km today and no discomfort at all. I think it is the padding Cuore have that is better. Attaquer has a nicer fit, but Cuore better padding.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:32 am

Relatively new and a bit harder to find - and a good local company to boot! - Motion. Did a 10-hour MTB race in their knicks a couple of months ago. No discomfort; seriously awesome stuff.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:03 am

Arbuckle23 wrote:To continue this thread.
Can get some Assos T.MilleShort-s7 bibs for under $200.
Anyone got these? Online reviews seem positive, but you never know with some of the review sites as some stuff seems to be a repeat of the company blurb.

I note that Assos size on height rather than waist size. I am 176 cm and 85-86 cm waist (74 kg).
Based on their sizing chart I would be a medium, what are real word experiences?
174cm ish, 82-84cm waist, 77-80kg. medium Assos works well for me, but i also have rather fat legs so I couldn't go small.

nard dog

Postby nard dog » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:18 pm

Does anyone have any experience with Pedal Mafia tech bibs. I have heard good things and they seem like reasonable value but the sizing chart seems a bit bizarre to me.
It puts me somewhere between large and extra large but I am normally small to maybe a medium at a push.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:12 pm

The current Rapha sale has me tempted. Classic Bibs?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:59 pm

lone rider wrote:Ive had one pair of Assos, which were by far my most expensive bibs to buy. After maybe a year the black faded to some kind of black/orange type colour, never happened with another brand. The chamois I found to be quite uncomfortable in the fact it is thicker than any other I have used and made me feel numb. They certainly have a dedicated fanbase but I could not recommend them at all but similar to saddles I think shorts would fall under the personal preference category which gets forgotten about.
Unfortunately I'd bought a few pairs (after being wowed by their comfort) before all of mine also went grey. We wash all our stuff in a front loader with specific active wear detergent. None of my other shorts have done that.

I strongly suspect it's the QLD UV, because everyone else up here with them has had the same problem. Perhaps they have fixed it in the new models.

I've got rapha shorts that are three years old and have been in constant rotation. I bought an identical but new pair recently, and it's nearly impossible to pick them. The three year old pair just looks a little less shiny, and has a little less compression. It's basically impossible to pick them in the lycra draw though. :shock:

sir_camel

Postby sir_camel » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:52 pm

I love my Rapha bibs. Both Classic and Pro Team. Of course they are ludicrously expensive but if you buy them on sale they are pretty reasonable. To add to the mix they stand by their products too. I had one pair, probably 3 or 4 years old, have some stitching come undone. They gladly received them back (free postage return), fixed them up for me and sent me them back in a free musette. Back into rotation they go. Can't think of any other brand that stands by their products and customers like that.
Bikes Bikes Bikes

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:30 pm

How are the DHB from Wiggle? Under $100 which fits my budget
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:46 pm

Mububban wrote:How are the DHB from Wiggle? Under $100 which fits my budget
I bought some DHB ones. Relatively inexpensive, and reasonably comfy. They didn't last quite as well as the expensive brands.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:13 pm

Mububban wrote:How are the DHB from Wiggle? Under $100 which fits my budget
Got some DHB ASV bibs from them. Better made than my castelli free aeros I reckon.
Pretty happy so far :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:13 am

nard dog wrote:Does anyone have any experience with Pedal Mafia tech bibs. I have heard good things and they seem like reasonable value but the sizing chart seems a bit bizarre to me.
It puts me somewhere between large and extra large but I am normally small to maybe a medium at a push.
I know what you mean about the sizing. I was looking at it and thinking 'I wouldn't have a clue what size I am from this'. I contacted them thinking I'd probably be an S like Rapha, and they agreed. I'm 172cm / 73kg (short legs, longer torso). I got the fleece tech bibs and they fit quite well. I could possibly have gotten an XS for a tighter fit. The only negative I've noticed is that the pad seems to not quite match up with my saddle (Specialized Power 143). I can sometimes feel and even hear what seems to be the pad compressing against the saddle edge (best way I can describe it). Other than that they feel really good :)
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:21 pm

Comedian wrote:
lone rider wrote:Ive had one pair of Assos, which were by far my most expensive bibs to buy. After maybe a year the black faded to some kind of black/orange type colour, never happened with another brand. The chamois I found to be quite uncomfortable in the fact it is thicker than any other I have used and made me feel numb. They certainly have a dedicated fanbase but I could not recommend them at all but similar to saddles I think shorts would fall under the personal preference category which gets forgotten about.
Unfortunately I'd bought a few pairs (after being wowed by their comfort) before all of mine also went grey. We wash all our stuff in a front loader with specific active wear detergent. None of my other shorts have done that.

I strongly suspect it's the QLD UV, because everyone else up here with them has had the same problem. Perhaps they have fixed it in the new models.
Nah, same thing happened to my older pairs of S5's here in Melbourne. The newer s7's seem to be staying black, but the mesh is like tissue paper

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:46 pm

Bit the bullet and ordered a pair of Rapha Bibs (on sale at the moment).
Will see if I regret that or or not :)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:27 pm

fat and old wrote:
Comedian wrote:

Nah, same thing happened to my older pairs of S5's here in Melbourne. The newer s7's seem to be staying black, but the mesh is like tissue paper
That's interesting. I bought a bit of stuff from assos at the time. All the lycra has done the same thing. The whole lot. :evil:

Maybe they have fixed it now but it's cost me a lot. I've got a lot of their gear that's basically unwearable. If I was to try any assos stuff in the future... I'd be very cautious.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:41 pm

No problems with my Assos bibs but I don't hang them out side to dry. They are 2yrs old and still as good as when I first got them. :D (also in QLD)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:08 pm

Comedian wrote:
fat and old wrote:
Comedian wrote:

That's interesting. I bought a bit of stuff from assos at the time. All the lycra has done the same thing. The whole lot. :evil:

Maybe they have fixed it now but it's cost me a lot. I've got a lot of their gear that's basically unwearable. If I was to try any assos stuff in the future... I'd be very cautious.
Washing frequency probably has something to do with it. Old mate has a pair I bought him 3 years ago as a present. Gets used maybe 12-20 times per annum, washed maybe 8-12 (depending on how long he stays). As new still.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:54 pm

It's really impossible to ever have agreement on things like this as not one of us is built the same as another. We are all different weights, ride in a different style, have different saddles, ride considerably different distances and so wear out things in a completely different way. Reading the posts above most of us also wash our knicks differently so it's all comparing apples with oranges.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:21 am

nard dog wrote:Does anyone have any experience with Pedal Mafia tech bibs. I have heard good things and they seem like reasonable value but the sizing chart seems a bit bizarre to me.
I have one of thier full kits but its a few years old so not sure if they still use the same supplier, it has a Ventou seat pad in them, its comfy but narrow. The kit I have is certainly what I would consider sprinter build, medium jersey is a bit looser than what I would normally like but the sleeve length is nice and long which I prefer and the bib sizing is a bit similar, the lycra didnt compress at all for me and seems like cheapish material.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:57 pm

fat and old wrote:
Comedian wrote:
fat and old wrote:

Washing frequency probably has something to do with it. Old mate has a pair I bought him 3 years ago as a present. Gets used maybe 12-20 times per annum, washed maybe 8-12 (depending on how long he stays). As new still.
Yes, I've no doubt that if I hadn't worn my Assos shorts they would still be like new. :mrgreen:

jleno

Postby jleno » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:11 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:Bit the bullet and ordered a pair of Rapha Bibs (on sale at the moment).
@Arbuckle23 - any updates on how you're liking/disliking your Rapha bibs? Considering them myself (unsure whether to go the Core/Flyweight/Pro Team) and would be interested to hear your thoughts (cos they sure are expensive!).

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:54 pm

Very happy with them.
My go to bibs for longer rides.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:01 pm

jleno wrote:
Arbuckle23 wrote:Bit the bullet and ordered a pair of Rapha Bibs (on sale at the moment).
@Arbuckle23 - any updates on how you're liking/disliking your Rapha bibs? Considering them myself (unsure whether to go the Core/Flyweight/Pro Team) and would be interested to hear your thoughts (cos they sure are expensive!).
I have the flyweight Rapha bibs, they are superb. Buy them when they are on sale, worth it. They are my go to choice now too for long rides.