Which new comfy bib?

enduro2

Which new comfy bib?

Postby enduro2 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:11 am

Hi all,

For few years I've been using Bellwether mountain bike shorts but swapped over to a bib a few months ago. The bib is an Endura make and was in the price order of $90 and purchased for about $50 on sale. The MTB shorts were fine, comfy etc but not aero enough for my longer and faster rides and don't look as cool on a carbon frame I'm sure!

Anyway the bib chammy feels like wet and dry on my soft skin bits and I need a new bib. The chammy seems to puch everything out of place and I have to keep adjusting to be comfy for just a little while.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable bib? I see Assos seem to be top of the line but at $250-$500 they sure have a heavy price tag for a pair of pants ...

Past experience with other activities has lead me to understand that one is better of spending on the right bit or equipment to begin with rather than purchase multiple lower quality/cheaper ones and not be happy with them.

Thoughts?

SheikYerbouti

Re: Which new comfy bib?

Postby SheikYerbouti » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:44 am

I've worn Bellwether's knicks for a few years and never had a problem; also happy with DHB Aeron from Wiggle.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:55 am

I have been riding nothing but Ground Effect Ringleaders for years now and have been through about six pairs. I've ridden nearly 400+km days in them on a few occasions in hot weather and cold.

https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/collecti ... 1671854787

The price has steadily increased over the years admittedly so they are no longer the bargain they once were, but I find them very comfortable and they last a long time.

open roader

Postby open roader » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:16 pm

I have an 8 year old pair of Assos Mille bib shorts with the old s5 chamois (now called the Cento s7 model which I also happen to have)

These bibshorts have averaged nearly one ride per week over that 8 year period and are always handwashed with wool mix and warm water and drip dried in the shade directly after the ride but remain close to new condition aside from some very minor pilling on the left buttock area where my previous saddles had embroidered logos. Needless to say they still fit and perform perfectly.

Despite the huge price, Assos actually do make high quality stuff and if you are prepared to look after them they do last long enough to amortise the ridiculous up front price.

I'm spoiled now - for bib shorts and bib tights it's only Assos for me - they fit, they are comfortable and they last long enough to justify the high asking price.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

enduro2

Postby enduro2 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:26 pm

thanks for the advice all

I decided to purchase a pair of Assos. I can't see myself hand washing them, but will them through a delicate cycle in our front loader.

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:26 am

Ive had one pair of Assos, which were by far my most expensive bibs to buy. After maybe a year the black faded to some kind of black/orange type colour, never happened with another brand. The chamois I found to be quite uncomfortable in the fact it is thicker than any other I have used and made me feel numb. They certainly have a dedicated fanbase but I could not recommend them at all but similar to saddles I think shorts would fall under the personal preference category which gets forgotten about.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:16 am

enduro2 wrote:thanks for the advice all

I decided to purchase a pair of Assos. I can't see myself hand washing them, but will them through a delicate cycle in our front loader.
It's not the washing machine cycle, it's the detergent you use that kills them fast. Don't use regular detergents. They will degrade the chamois padding material quickly due to the enzyes they contain. They also degrade your normal clothes too, but people have come to accept that as normal wear and tear in exchange for an easier time getting out stains.

Based on advice from a few elite racers I know I use wool mix with a capful of Dettol.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:57 pm

trailgumby wrote:

It's not the washing machine cycle, it's the detergent you use that kills them fast. Don't use regular detergents. They will degrade the chamois padding material quickly due to the enzyes they contain. They also degrade your normal clothes too, but people have come to accept that as normal wear and tear in exchange for an easier time getting out stains.

Based on advice from a few elite racers I know I use wool mix with a capful of Dettol.
Interesting. Assos has its own cleaning detergent:

http://www.this link is broken.au/assos-active-wear-cleanser/

Never used it - but I'm tempted to try it. You can also put your cycling kit in one of those garment wash bags too, and run the machine on gentle.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:19 pm

g-boaf wrote:
trailgumby wrote:

Interesting. Assos has its own cleaning detergent:

Never used it - but I'm tempted to try it. You can also put your cycling kit in one of those garment wash bags too, and run the machine on gentle.
Used the assos wash until it ran out (came with the shorts). Use eco friendly wouldn't harm a dandelion since. In a garment bag. On gentle. The first pair still turned brown/faded. The fancy S7 centos still wore through the mesh around the top.

I've come to the conclusion that bibs and seats can be "matched". That is, some bibs are better with some saddles. And worse...much worse....with others that are good with different bibs. Weight is also a major factor. Fit (in my case) less so. I'm referring to saddle comfort only here.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:35 pm

fat and old wrote:Used the assos wash until it ran out (came with the shorts). Use eco friendly wouldn't harm a dandelion since. In a garment bag. On gentle. The first pair still turned brown/faded. The fancy S7 centos still wore through the mesh around the top.
I've always delicate machine washed my kit. Everything has lasted me years of use, but I'm not a solid user of kit and have a slow rotation. We also live in the country and harsh detergents are a big no no.
fat and old wrote:I've come to the conclusion that bibs and seats can be "matched". That is, some bibs are better with some saddles. And worse...much worse....with others that are good with different bibs. Weight is also a major factor. Fit (in my case) less so. I'm referring to saddle comfort only here.
+1. I used to ride SMP saddles and now ride ISM Adamos. Kit that was tolerable for only the shorter rides with SMP is now the go to with the ISM

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:26 am

open roader wrote: ....are always handwashed with wool mix and warm water and drip dried in the shade directly after the ride .....
Much keener than I. I applaud your dedication.

Might try a different detergent when I machine was mine though.

Any suggestions ?

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:24 pm

I'm pretty sure we have always used Woolworths generic brand wool mix - very gentle on fabric but excellent for dissolving sweat and body oils.

Assos bang on endlessly about hand washing their stuff - I beleive it is for a good reason now as my oldest Assos bibs and tops really still look new. I have always hand washed my bike gear as my work clothes (professional gardener) can be truly filthy and need a different washing regime.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:02 am

g-boaf wrote: Interesting. Assos has its own cleaning detergent:

$25 for 300ml - ouch!

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:29 am

My routine is to hand wash shorts immediately after a ride with ordinary old plain brand unscented bathroom soap.
The chamois lasts for ages.
The UV on the clothesline kills the lycra.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:31 am

If I have to hand wash my bibs I am not interested in purchasing them.
Cold wash in with the other stuff here.
Assos was already off my list due to price, I have now learned that despite asking top dollar it is bottom quality.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

ausvegguykk

Postby ausvegguykk » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:19 pm

I use dhb asv black edition bibs... the fit is exceptional, i am not really sensitive to chammy quality though so i cant really comment on that... i have done about 4000k this year touring in aliexpress/dhb blok bibs

the asv bibs fit feels alot nicer, and i have bough 2 pairs because of it... the designs on the colored ones look rubbish to me, but the black ones look really nice

diventare

Postby diventare » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:32 pm

My God, so much effort put into knicks here, where do you people get the time?
Mine go into the washing machine and get dried on the clothes line, this has been going on for many years.
I didn't feel like an abuser of cycling kit but now I'm having self doubt!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:44 pm

diventare wrote:My God, so much effort put into knicks here, where do you people get the time?
Mine go into the washing machine and get dried on the clothes line, this has been going on for many years.
I do the same. Too lazy and time poor to do otherwise. They dry in the shade and cold machine wash is the limit of my special care/

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:50 pm

ausvegguykk wrote:I use dhb asv black edition bibs... the fit is exceptional, i am not really sensitive to chammy quality though so i cant really comment on that... i have done about 4000k this year touring in aliexpress/dhb blok bibs

the asv bibs fit feels alot nicer, and i have bough 2 pairs because of it... the designs on the colored ones look rubbish to me, but the black ones look really nice
I am thinking of grabbing some of these next, your feedback is consistent with what I've previously read.
Just wondering about sizing.
Italian I am a L,
UK seem to be M for me.
I am 184cm and 75 kg could you tell me what size are your bibs and a rough idea of your stature please?

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:11 pm

diventare wrote:My God, so much effort put into knicks here, where do you people get the time?
The only 'special' thing I do with my cycling bibs and jersey's is to turn them inside out before going into the washing machine. In the past before I did this, I found the material can get caught on laces, zips etc causing the visible material to 'rough up'. Now if it happens, its the unseen inside which is affected.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:47 pm

I didn't think for long. I need some and they were on special.
http://www.this link is broken.au/dhb-asv-race-bib-shorts/
2 pair in a medium it is :oops:

Rural Rider

Postby Rural Rider » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:59 am

Currently VERY happy with my Endura Hyperon Bib Knicks ... really comfortable, padding is fantastic on the tush - perfect for long rides and holds its place in and out of the saddle.

RR
2017 Trek Emonda SL6
2016 Specialized Allez e5 Sport

march83

Postby march83 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:40 pm

Rural Rider wrote:Currently VERY happy with my Endura Hyperon Bib Knicks ... really comfortable, padding is fantastic on the tush - perfect for long rides and holds its place in and out of the saddle.

RR
To each his own. I have a few pairs of these in the rotation at the moment and they are far and away the worst knicks I've ever owned. Material is ok, but feels cheap. Chamois has zero shape and feels like a nappy, all bunched up and doesn't engage or disengage the saddle nicely. They do their job in the comfort stakes, but I'm glad I only paid $50 for them.

Rural Rider

Postby Rural Rider » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:06 pm

march83 wrote:
Rural Rider wrote:Currently VERY happy with my Endura Hyperon Bib Knicks ... really comfortable, padding is fantastic on the tush - perfect for long rides and holds its place in and out of the saddle.

RR
To each his own. I have a few pairs of these in the rotation at the moment and they are far and away the worst knicks I've ever owned. Material is ok, but feels cheap. Chamois has zero shape and feels like a nappy, all bunched up and doesn't engage or disengage the saddle nicely. They do their job in the comfort stakes, but I'm glad I only paid $50 for them.
Must be a personal fit issue mate cause I love mine ... hand in glove here.

RR
2017 Trek Emonda SL6
2016 Specialized Allez e5 Sport

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:03 pm

I've tried Sugoi, Assos, La Passione, DHB and stopped once I got a pair of Rapha Core bibs. It's their cheapest model at $180 full price (you be the judge if that's cheap), but I grabbed them when they had a 20% off sale or someone gave me a discount code. A buddy has their Classic and Pro Team bibs and prefers the Core model.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...