Disc brake wheelset upgrade (Giant TCR pro disc)

andrich

Disc brake wheelset upgrade (Giant TCR pro disc)

Postby andrich » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:45 pm

Hi guys and girls,

I have a Giant TCR Pro disc and im looking to upgrade my wheels. I am currently running the stock SLR 1 wheel set.
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding a good set of deeper area wheels that are disc compatible and reasonably affordable?
thanks in advance
Michael

nickdos

Re: Disc brake wheelset upgrade (Giant TCR pro disc)

Postby nickdos » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:28 pm

"Reasonably affordable" can mean different things to different people... what $$ value are you talking about? By deep do you mean 50mm or are you thinking more like 80mm?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:09 pm

You may need to consider custom-built, as I don't think there is a great selection of deeper-sectioned disc-braked wheels around at present.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Velt

Postby Velt » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:36 pm

The author of this should be putting out an update soon but try this:

https://intheknowcycling.com/2016/02/21 ... ikes-2016/

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:05 am

andrich wrote:Hi guys and girls,

I have a Giant TCR Pro disc and im looking to upgrade my wheels. ....
The usual Q's ;

Why ?
What are the current wheels not doing ?
What is your budget ?
What do you want vs need ?
Features ?
What do you think you will get out of it ?
Can I have some of your spare money ?
etc
etc

andrich

Postby andrich » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:09 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.
Thats very true nickdos. I havent put an exact dollar value on it at the moment. Im more looking to see whats out there for the disc wheels.
I would be keen on something around 50mm deep.

That was actually my thinking Duck. Would you be able to recommend any particular builders? Any idea of a ballpark figure for a 50mm section wheel with decent bearings?

MichaelB- currently running the stock SLR1 wheels. I had deeper wheels on my previous TCR and found them better at holding speeds on flat roads.

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:17 am

What's possible all depends on budget. What works depends on what you want the wheels to do.

For general all round aero tarmac, then some deeper wide carbon can work well. ~40mm front and up to ~50mm rear is aero enough (without being a hassle in crosswinds) if you are average weight. If super light, it's probably better to go a little shallower.

Be careful if offered low spokes count wheels. Disc braking transmits all those forces through the spokes to the rim/tyre. These forces are far greater than what spokes in a rim brake wheel experience. Extra spokes/thicker spokes will result in vastly greater wheel life (and therefore safety). 20h front disc road wheels have been short lived in my experience.

If you ride lots of really rough roads, then a shallower alloy rim may be a better choice. Carbon wheels transmit more road shocks/buzz than alloy. The entire carbon hoop is so rigid, that shock has nowhere to go but into the axle and then your butt. With alloy, the entire hoop reacts/contracts/expands/flexes (even if to 1/10ths of a mm) and smoothes the hits a bit.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:02 pm

Velo13 wrote:
If you ride lots of really rough roads, then a shallower alloy rim may be a better choice. Carbon wheels transmit more road shocks/buzz than alloy. The entire carbon hoop is so rigid, that shock has nowhere to go but into the axle and then your butt. With alloy, the entire hoop reacts/contracts/expands/flexes (even if to 1/10ths of a mm) and smoothes the hits a bit.
That's actually not entirely correct. Sure the rigidity of carbon will transfer the bigger hits, but the properies of the composite layup make it superior at absorbing the small vibrations and road buzz.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.