Saddles with Cutouts or Grooves.

Arbuckle23

Saddles with Cutouts or Grooves.

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:27 pm

In a effort to get on top of an issue I have cycling without stopping every 20 km for nature breaks, I am looking at trying saddles with cutouts or grooves.

Borrowed a second hand Specialized Toupe from a mate and will try that out tonight, if it stops raining here down my way.
So if that helps I may look at the Toupe or even the Romin Evo, or maybe another brand with such attributes.

Has any one else had old man issues similar to this and relieved pressure successfully through using such saddles?

And if the Toupe seems to help would anyone know of a good LBS in the South Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne that can assist with Specialized Saddles, or another brand for that matter?

To be clear, I don't suffer pain or numbness, just sitting on the saddle promotes a bit of over action down there.

mogwaiboi

Re: Saddles with Cutouts or Grooves.

Postby mogwaiboi » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:50 am

I tried out a few Spesh saddles from Cycle Science in Mitcham. You pay for it and if it doesn't work out they will refund. I settled on the Power model. It felt a bit uncomfortable at first but once I got the angle right it's been awesome. I have used a Toupe in the past, and it was horrible for me. Everyone has different needs so try as many as you can. Find out which width you need as that can definitely help.

I've also heard good things about the Pro Stealth. Pretty sure Bike Gallery in Camberwell have them to test out.

https://www.specialized.com/au/en-au/117430
https://www.pro-bikegear.com/global/en- ... SA_STEALTH
In search of up - Hells 500

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:03 pm

ibikesaustralia in Oakliegh have Specialized saddles.

Otherwise go the whole hog and get an ISM.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:07 pm

I use identical Specialized Romin Pro saddles on both of my main road bikes. They do have a cutout section, but I suspect the real thing is they are the right shape and the width of them is correct.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:46 pm

As I lost weight, I went through saddles and ended up on a toupe. Thinking about it, yeah....less toilet breaks. Keep in mind that as I lost weight and rode more, I learned/aquired the habit to drink less.....so I'm not sure that the saddle was the be all and end all of that.

Spec. shop in Bulleen Rd, Bulleen has test saddles. Just off the Eastern Fwy. Otherwise Berwick Cycles, or Hampton Cycles

aive

Postby aive » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:16 am

I got wide sit bones, and rather than splash out uber dosh on a specialized saddle I got a brooks, with the cut out - fixed problems for me. But my longest ride has only been 105 km.

Edit: I felt the cut out was a secondary benefit - the wider saddle alleviated the majority of the issue I think...
Last edited by aive on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:19 am

Any fans of the Selle SMP range?

edsa

Postby edsa » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:44 am

I have the selle smp dynamic on my commuter and I find it very comfortable, not sure if it helps with less nature breaks.

kb

Postby kb » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:44 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:Any fans of the Selle SMP range?

Yep. They're heavy and pricey though.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:37 pm

kb wrote:Yep. They're heavy and pricey though.

I am cheap so use Selle SMP extra. I also have a Hybrid, but am not fond of it. The dynamic weighs in at 260g while the extra is extra heavy at 395g. I am twice the man of kb though, so will worry about hundreds of grams on the bike when the rider drops another 15kg :D

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:55 pm

The SMP Well (Hell) seems reasonably priced and 260 grams. My current Fabric is 250 grams.
The borrowed Toupe is 190 grams, it's killing me on the sit bones though and that's just a couple of 25 km rides.
Haven't been for a long enough ride to test the nature break side of using the Toupe yet. I'll get that done tomorrow.

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:32 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:The borrowed Toupe is 190 grams, it's killing me on the sit bones though and that's just a couple of 25 km rides.

That was the case when I used a Toupe for a while. By the time I got home I was cursing that thing.
In search of up - Hells 500

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:10 pm

Update. no real change using the Toupe. All it did was kill my sit bones.
Back to the drawing board.

panosk

Postby panosk » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:43 am

selle italia slr super flow

- big opening
- very light
- very comfortable for me
...each turn of the pedals, every single meter gained, hurts...

edsa

Postby edsa » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:04 am

A couple more you can try with a groove, not a full cutaway, fizik VS range. For me the Aliante, for less flexible riders, is very comfy and well padded.
I still like my selle smp dynamic but the fizik range is quite affordable, sub $100 on sale for kium rail models, for a quality product.
It might be easier to find a shop with fizik test saddles too.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:52 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:Update. no real change using the Toupe. All it did was kill my sit bones.
Back to the drawing board.

You can get different levels of padding in some models. The carbon rail models generally have less, mainly to meet whatever magic number they have in their head for marketing purposes. I wish they wouldn't do that.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:42 pm

I have the Adamo on both my road and track bikes. :D

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:51 pm

I'm a big fan of the Selle San Marco Aspide and have had them on both my bikes for 7 or 8 years. I do a lot of riding and don't have any problems regarding nature stops but then I haven't in the past so it might be a non issue anyway.

https://www.bikebug.com/san-marco-aspid ... 52624.html
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:33 pm

Another vote for Brooks. They accommodate wide sit bones and they come with cut outs as well. Ones with cut outs break in quicker than ones without. Very comfortable.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

ForkinGreat

Postby ForkinGreat » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:53 pm

Yes, Lite209 on MTB trail bike, and Drakon on Road bike.

Yes there are lighter saddles, yes they are pricey. I invite you to get over it. Correct position and absence of pain is worth truckloads more than saving a few grams. There is a bit of setup fiddling to get the position right for you, then there's basically an absence of pain or discomfort.(in fact I had zero pain or discomfort on these saddles even before optimal positioning) That's been my experience anyway.

I started with an SMP Hell (now called Well???) and the position was good, just the padding was a bit on the soft side. The Drakon has fairly firm padding, and suited me much better. The Lite 209 has more padding, so feels a little more plush, which makes it a good match for my short travel dual sus trailbike.

Be aware that the padding on both the drakon and the Lite 209 is on the firm side. The longer the distance you ride, the more this will be an asset.
As usual, saddles are a highly individual thing, Try before buy if you can, etc. Cell bikes was doing a test saddle program, last time I looked. Other places may be cheaper though :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krrINXCwdM8

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:47 pm

SMP saddles are more polarising than any others we've had as a test range where I work (although the ISM Adamos come close). People either really love them or really hate them, there is no middle ground, so if you're contemplating one, find a dealer with test saddles to try out first, because it's an expensive mistake if it doesn't work for you.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:55 am

Correct position and absence of pain is worth truckloads more than saving a few grams.

Pain is not an issue. I can easily ride over 100 km on the Fabric Scoop that came standard on my Synapse.
I am trying to sort out old man's problems (stopping every 25 km for a nature break) and thought that a cutout may assist by reducing a bit a pressure on the prostate.
The loaner Toupe was too narrow, caused me a lot of sitbone pain and made no difference to my "other" issue.

The big cutout on the SMP appears as though it may help. Need to find a local dealer for SMP and perhaps find a local Specialized dealer to check out the Romin as well, they look wider than the Toupe.

The danger is spending money and making no difference. If no improvement to my problem then it is a total waste.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:44 am

g-boaf wrote:I use identical Specialized Romin Pro saddles on both of my main road bikes. They do have a cutout section, but I suspect the real thing is they are the right shape and the width of them is correct.

Hi graham
I reckon you are onto the truth of the matter.
I bought my bike 5 years ago and it came with a full plastic saddle that seemed to never break in, so I went for a cheap $25 cut out to see if it made a difference. It was better but not a drastic change.
I bit the bullet on the Brooks two years ago that has no cut out and I wouldn't change it.I had one as a kid and it sort of made me go back i time I suppose.But yes, it seems to be supportive and yet not hurt the rear end.
I appreciate that I do not do the kays of longer traveled riders, but neither do I go in for cycling clothing either.

I reckon the folks that do a lot of cycling should be taken notice of regarding saddles though. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:50 pm

Duck! wrote:SMP saddles are more polarising than any others we've had as a test range where I work (although the ISM Adamos come close). People either really love them or really hate them, there is no middle ground, so if you're contemplating one, find a dealer with test saddles to try out first, because it's an expensive mistake if it doesn't work for you.

I would be in the really hate them camp. Something about the Romin Pro seems to work where the SMP didn't. I mean today I did a massive ride and no problems at all.

outnabike wrote:
g-boaf wrote:I use identical Specialized Romin Pro saddles on both of my main road bikes. They do have a cutout section, but I suspect the real thing is they are the right shape and the width of them is correct.

Hi graham
I reckon you are onto the truth of the matter.
I bought my bike 5 years ago and it came with a full plastic saddle that seemed to never break in, so I went for a cheap $25 cut out to see if it made a difference. It was better but not a drastic change.
I bit the bullet on the Brooks two years ago that has no cut out and I wouldn't change it.I had one as a kid and it sort of made me go back i time I suppose.But yes, it seems to be supportive and yet not hurt the rear end.
I appreciate that I do not do the kays of longer traveled riders, but neither do I go in for cycling clothing either.

I reckon the folks that do a lot of cycling should be taken notice of regarding saddles though. :)

You might have quoted the wrong person I think. You are right, if you clock up a lot of kms on the bike the right saddle and good cycling kit make a huge difference.

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:14 am

g-boaf wrote:
Duck! wrote:SMP saddles are more polarising than any others we've had as a test range where I work (although the ISM Adamos come close). People either really love them or really hate them, there is no middle ground, so if you're contemplating one, find a dealer with test saddles to try out first, because it's an expensive mistake if it doesn't work for you.

I would be in the really hate them camp. Something about the Romin Pro seems to work where the SMP didn't. I mean today I did a massive ride and no problems at all.

I'm definitely in the SMP love camp ... by far, the best and most comfortable saddle I've ever used.... I recently did a 150km ride and nothing was sore/numb/out of bounds...

The moral of the story is to disregard anything you read on this thread.... the only way to know if your bum and saddle are a match made in heaven is to try before you buy ... not always practical I know but it's worth the effort.

Good luck!!!