Pirelli back in bicycle tyres - P-Zero Velo

Mububban

Re: Pirelli back in bicycle tyres - P-Zero Velo

Postby Mububban » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:35 pm

Pirelli have made a tubeless tyre too, the Cinturato:

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/produ ... yre-381098
Pirelli say that to match the market demand and new trends the new tyre Cinturato is for hard road conditions, light off road or gravel and urban commuting environment and should be treated as a true ‘do-it-all’ tyre.
It also says that at the moment, in a racing sense, professionals still want the safety of tubular tyre since a rider can still roll with a puncture without the tyre falling off the rim. As a result, it seems we won’t be seeing tubeless tyres in the top flight tier for a while...

The basic idea of the new Pirelli Cinturato tyre is to be able to offer performance on road, grip in the corners, and decent rolling resistance whilst being tough enough to handle very bad, almost unmade roads.....

26mm – 290g
28mm – 320g
32mm – 350g
35mm – 380g
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:53 pm

Where are the tubbies we were promised? It'd be interesting to see how they made them: most top end tubulars are made rather differently to "normal" molded tyres.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:52 pm

Got some on friday, had my first ride today, so far I like them. Feel a lot liek my old Conti GP4000sII but maybe they roll faster, definatley steer faster and I think more comfotable on the rough chipseal roads.
Wow they mount easy. Pretty happy so far, more rides will see I guess.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:12 pm

Size & version ?

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:54 pm

oh sorry 25, regular pzero velo (silver)
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:26 pm

Im with the NRS team Australian cycling Academy at the moment. They run Pirellis on all their team bikes. Weather this week has been insane ... rain, hail, gale force winds. 2 tricky criteriums on wet roads ... no problem.
That should be enough recommendation.
I have them on my sons bikes.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:34 pm

Derny Driver wrote:Im with the NRS team Australian cycling Academy at the moment. They run Pirellis on all their team bikes. Weather this week has been insane ... rain, hail, gale force winds. 2 tricky criteriums on wet roads ... no problem.
Don't Pirelli sponsor the ACA?

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:03 pm

Yeah I was considring trying Michelin Power Comp, but notread + Tassie winter... I know that no tread doesnt mean anything in reality, but my head, it couldn't accept it...so tried the Pirellis (I have PZero's on the car too and they've been good after switching from Conti's)

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:43 pm

biker jk wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:Im with the NRS team Australian cycling Academy at the moment. They run Pirellis on all their team bikes. Weather this week has been insane ... rain, hail, gale force winds. 2 tricky criteriums on wet roads ... no problem.
Don't Pirelli sponsor the ACA?
Yes mate they do. They have great sponsors.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:21 pm

I did find today I had a weird noise coming from the front wheel, turned out to be the little bits of rubber that stick out (whatever they're called) wacking gently on the fork legs, haha.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:28 pm

mikgit wrote:I know that no tread doesnt mean anything in reality
The Jury remains out on this one. Personally I'm at the stage of saying "it's complicated". But then I used to look after racing car tyres so I always think tyre choices are complicated.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:36 pm

Thoglette wrote:
mikgit wrote:I know that no tread doesnt mean anything in reality
The Jury remains out on this one. Personally I'm at the stage of saying "it's complicated". But then I used to look after racing car tyres so I always think tyre choices are complicated.
In essence, there are so many variables that it's hard to prove it one way or the other.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:31 pm

yeah I mean it stands to reason in the wet that they'd do something...but having said that I'd used semi slick car tyres and worn them donw to no trad and in the wet the soft compound worked better than a regualr tyre that had full tread...\\

anyway, still liking thesse tyres, they definately seem to be more comfortable than my gp4000s.