Indoor trainers

Rabs79

Indoor trainers

Postby Rabs79 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:54 am

Looking for some thoughts on indoor trainers to use with zwift. Currently use a minoura 850 rim drive trainer, finding it hard to get realistic data from it. Thoughts on rollers and Tacx? More realistic ride?

tez001

Re: Indoor trainers

Postby tez001 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:55 pm

How much do you want to spend and how many hours per week will you use it?

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:28 pm

The Tacx Vortex Smart is great value for $500. https://www.bikebug.com/tacx-vortex-sma ... 46703.html

Does Bluetooth and ANT+, works with Fulgaz, Zwift etc, reports power and cadence, decent maximum gradient. I've had no issues with mine in 18 months.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:43 pm

Get an ANT+FEC trainer. Only way to get realism on Zwift

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:05 am

MattyK wrote:Get an ANT+FEC trainer. Only way to get realism on Zwift

Not so sure. I had an ANT+FEC wheel on trainer and didn't find Zwift very realistic. Part of the problem was that road feel wasn't realistic with a wheel on trainer. The other issue is the two second lag when hitting the start of inclines. There's also power meter accuracy which can vary from 1% to over 5% depending on the trainer. I've moved to a wheel off trainer without FEC and with 1% power meter accuracy and find Zwift and equivalents more realistic. I also don't like how ERG mode works with FEC trainers and much prefer doing intervals without it.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:11 am

biker jk wrote:

Not so sure. I had an ANT+FEC wheel on trainer and didn't find Zwift very realistic. Part of the problem was that road feel wasn't realistic with a wheel on trainer. The other issue is the two second lag when hitting the start of inclines. There's also power meter accuracy which can vary from 1% to over 5% depending on the trainer. I've moved to a wheel off trainer without FEC and with 1% power meter accuracy and find Zwift and equivalents more realistic. I also don't like how ERG mode works with FEC trainers and much prefer doing intervals without it.

What trainer do you have now. I'm eyeballing a tacx flux/neo or the elite line. Or even some rollers :roll:
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:45 am

Baalzamon wrote:
biker jk wrote:

What trainer do you have now. I'm eyeballing a tacx flux/neo or the elite line. Or even some rollers :roll:

I have an Elite Kura. It's non FEC but I mainly use it for intervals rather than just riding around in Zwift or equivalents. The power meter is accurate to 1% and can do left-right power balance with the purchase of an inexpensive app. It's pretty quiet and road feel is good. But if you want a controllable trainer the Neo is highly regarded, although the Elite Direto is a cheaper alternative.
Last edited by biker jk on Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:56 am

Only problem I have with the tacx line is long cage derailleurs. Doesn't look like an issue with the drive.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:18 am

You really want to go for one that is not just quiet, robust, but you want to be able to control it easily.

One of the best of the lot was the computrainer which is sadly no longer available - those things were indestructable.

The rest can be found here:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/10/ann ... tions.html

And one more:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/12/cyc ... eview.html

lard

Postby lard » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:59 pm

Look up Shane Miller on youtube, he covers everything you could ever want to know about trainers.

RichB

Postby RichB » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:51 pm

I had a jetblack fluid trainer and upgraded to an elite drivo a few months back. I came to the conclusion it was that or the neo after watching hours, and hours, and hours of reviews incl all of shane miller's and reading DC rainmaker reviews. I love it, I only put 6-8hrs on it a week, but it does everything I ask and handles 2000w no problem, jk I rarely get beyond half that.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:43 am

Well Eurobike is almost upon us. And this means there are new trainers coming. I've already seen pricing on the Elite Direto and Elite Turno. Turno is replacing the Muin and the Direto is a new line that is sub $1000US and 2.5% claimed accuracy on the power meter.
Would love to see Aus pricing on the Direto but I bet it will be cheaper even with paying GST + duty from bike24.

Dudeman

Postby Dudeman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:36 pm

I just got into indoor cycling 2 weeks ago with zwift and bought my first indoor trainer, picked up the Wahoo Kicker 2 after watching Shane Miller's vids. Absolutely love it and I'm glad I put the money into a smart trainer, the response to hills is awesome and the ERG mode is great for workouts, best investment I've made for my health/fitness was the trainer and zwift.