Scosche RHYTHM+

User avatar
rifraf
Posts: 3354
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Scosche RHYTHM+

Postby rifraf » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:23 pm

Anyone utilising one of these :?:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/sco ... tical.html

I saw them mentioned on the DC Rainmaker site and thought I'd see if there were any BNA forum user opinions.

I noticed my Garmin strap giving funny readings.

Its likely overdue for a cycle through the washing machine as Im not sure its ever had more than a tap rinse.

I've swapped out the battery for a new one but no improvement so washing machine is the next step for the belt.

I was reading the reviews on the new Garmin Edge 1030 and came across mention of the Scosche unit.

Thought I'd ask if anyone used one.
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.

User avatar
rifraf
Posts: 3354
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Scosche RHYTHM+

Postby rifraf » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:33 pm

I'd been using the original strap I got with my Edge 800 unit (now sold).

I just now removed the sensor, with its new battery, from the chest strap and attached it to the unused strap that came with my Edge 1000 and viola I'm getting what appears to be a much more accurate reading.

I'll update this thread when I've done a machine wash of the old strap to see if that improves things.

Meanwhile, I'll contemplate acquiring the Scosche Rhythm + arm band, whilst trailing my newer Garmin strap. :D
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.

User avatar
MattyK
Posts: 2232
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:07 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Scosche RHYTHM+

Postby MattyK » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:36 am

Have had one for two or three years after losing my Garmin original. It's pretty good. It's not as perfect as DCR seems to suggest, but most of the time I have no complaints.

Good:
No tight chest strap
No issues with static (eg from flappy jerseys), moisture/dryness.
Does ANT+ and Bluetooth. Can do both at the same time if you want to output to different recorders (eg phone and Garmin) simultaneously. If it doesn't pair a bluetooth device it will shut off bluetooth within about a minute to save battery.
Accurate when it's working right (see below).
Waterproof - sort of I think. I've worn it swimming, it still works, but I reckon there was a little fogging inside.
Doesn't use disposable batteries.

Not so good:
Battery life limited. Needs recharging after about 8 hours. Another USB cord to worry about/lose/find again.
Not much indication of battery status. I think it's supposed to give some indication (eg light stays on after you power off when the battery is low) but it's not documented, and there's no charge level indicator.
Easy to accidentally turn on (eg in a bag). Sometimes it turns off if it doesn't detect a HR, sometimes it doesn't...
Velcro. Mine is getting a bit weak. I should probably buy a new strap... Sometimes the hooks catch on a base layer and pulls the sensor off. I haven't tried fitting it under a wetsuit but I reckon that would be a real challenge. I put it on in T1 during triathlons, which leads to...
Struggles to pick up an elevated HR when first started. If your HR is low (say below 100) it pick up within about 5 seconds. If your HR is already 160 when you turn it on, it may not find it for a couple of minutes... and defaults to 72 bpm as an output til it does, which messes with your average HR if you're tracking that.
Sensitive to where it is worn. After trial and error I've settled on my outer bicep (just above the elbow) as the most reliable point. Below my elbow I find it slips down too easily. Wrist is too bony to see good bloodflow.
Sensitive to muscle flex. e.g. Often goes wrong in standing climbing, when you're pumping the bars. The reading stays low, then when you sit and relax the HR output spikes (to what it actually is).

In summary - if you don't want a chest strap it's probably the best thing out there. Most (all?) of the others (eg Mio) are wrist mount only, which will be more sensitive to reading errors.

User avatar
kb
Posts: 2286
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: Scosche RHYTHM+

Postby kb » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:44 pm

rifraf wrote:I'd been using the original strap I got with my Edge 800 unit (now sold).

I just now removed the sensor, with its new battery, from the chest strap and attached it to the unused strap that came with my Edge 1000 and viola I'm getting what appears to be a much more accurate reading.

I'll update this thread when I've done a machine wash of the old strap to see if that improves things.

Meanwhile, I'll contemplate acquiring the Scosche Rhythm + arm band, whilst trailing my newer Garmin strap. :D

You may notice Garmin have added a graphic to the new strap directing a wash every 7 uses :-).

I have a friend how likes his Scosche but the battery life seems a bit short to me.
Image

User avatar
rifraf
Posts: 3354
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Scosche RHYTHM+

Postby rifraf » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:29 pm

MattyK wrote:Have had one for two or three years after losing my Garmin original. It's pretty good. It's not as perfect as DCR seems to suggest, but most of the time I have no complaints.

Good:
No tight chest strap
No issues with static (eg from flappy jerseys), moisture/dryness.
Does ANT+ and Bluetooth. Can do both at the same time if you want to output to different recorders (eg phone and Garmin) simultaneously. If it doesn't pair a bluetooth device it will shut off bluetooth within about a minute to save battery.
Accurate when it's working right (see below).
Waterproof - sort of I think. I've worn it swimming, it still works, but I reckon there was a little fogging inside.
Doesn't use disposable batteries.

Not so good:
Battery life limited. Needs recharging after about 8 hours. Another USB cord to worry about/lose/find again.
Not much indication of battery status. I think it's supposed to give some indication (eg light stays on after you power off when the battery is low) but it's not documented, and there's no charge level indicator.
Easy to accidentally turn on (eg in a bag). Sometimes it turns off if it doesn't detect a HR, sometimes it doesn't...
Velcro. Mine is getting a bit weak. I should probably buy a new strap... Sometimes the hooks catch on a base layer and pulls the sensor off. I haven't tried fitting it under a wetsuit but I reckon that would be a real challenge. I put it on in T1 during triathlons, which leads to...
Struggles to pick up an elevated HR when first started. If your HR is low (say below 100) it pick up within about 5 seconds. If your HR is already 160 when you turn it on, it may not find it for a couple of minutes... and defaults to 72 bpm as an output til it does, which messes with your average HR if you're tracking that.
Sensitive to where it is worn. After trial and error I've settled on my outer bicep (just above the elbow) as the most reliable point. Below my elbow I find it slips down too easily. Wrist is too bony to see good bloodflow.
Sensitive to muscle flex. e.g. Often goes wrong in standing climbing, when you're pumping the bars. The reading stays low, then when you sit and relax the HR output spikes (to what it actually is).

In summary - if you don't want a chest strap it's probably the best thing out there. Most (all?) of the others (eg Mio) are wrist mount only, which will be more sensitive to reading errors.

Thank you for the detailed and informative response.
I appreciate the effort.
Just the sort of reply I was hoping for to help determine wether to make a purchase decision.
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.

User avatar
rifraf
Posts: 3354
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Scosche RHYTHM+

Postby rifraf » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:43 pm

kb wrote:You may notice Garmin have added a graphic to the new strap directing a wash every 7 uses :-).

I have a friend how likes his Scosche but the battery life seems a bit short to me.


May being the word KB.
I just now went and had a look and your right, it has a little tag/flap sewn onto it that I had missed until you mentioned it.
Hopefully the older strap is up to surviving the washing machine as I like the option of having some sort of spare.
I can't complain as its ex Edge 800 and hasn't seen a lot of soap n water :shock:

I perceive the battery life of the Scosche as a tick in the negative box.

I'll be doing some more reading and weighing up the pros and cons.
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.

User avatar
Tim
Posts: 1722
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:02 pm
Location: Gippsland Lakes

Re: Scosche RHYTHM+

Postby Tim » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:58 pm

I've found that once the Garmin straps start giving dodgy readings they've pretty much had it.
A wash might keep them going a little bit longer but ultimately they've had the gong and not worth persisting with.
I've been through at least a half a dozen of them, both Garmin and others.
The cheapest and best option for me is to ditch the strap and move the sensor onto a cheapo eBay model such as one of these;
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Black-Chest-Belt-Strap-Band-for-Garmin-Wahoo-Polar-Sport-Heart-Rate-Monitor-HC-/282578807421?hash=item41cb026a7d
They last just as long as a Garmin job and are just as reliable for over 12 months. I buy 2 or 3 at a time.

User avatar
rifraf
Posts: 3354
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Scosche RHYTHM+

Postby rifraf » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:25 pm

Tim wrote:I've found that once the Garmin straps start giving dodgy readings they've pretty much had it.
A wash might keep them going a little bit longer but ultimately they've had the gong and not worth persisting with.
I've been through at least a half a dozen of them, both Garmin and others.
The cheapest and best option for me is to ditch the strap and move the sensor onto a cheapo eBay model such as one of these;
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Black-Chest-Belt-Strap-Band-for-Garmin-Wahoo-Polar-Sport-Heart-Rate-Monitor-HC-/282578807421?hash=item41cb026a7d
They last just as long as a Garmin job and are just as reliable for over 12 months. I buy 2 or 3 at a time.


Thanks for the heads up Tim :!:
I'll give a few of those a whirl to see what they are like.
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.

User avatar
Tim
Posts: 1722
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:02 pm
Location: Gippsland Lakes

Re: Scosche RHYTHM+

Postby Tim » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:06 pm

Hi rifraf.
The above link isn't the actual seller I bought my straps from. He's put his price up to $12.53 since I last bought.
You're probably better off buying locally as freight from China is slow.
I think the strap quality is probably much the same across the board, there are dozens of like sellers and likely all sourced from the same or similar factories.

Baalzamon
Posts: 5334
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: Scosche RHYTHM+

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:09 pm

My old garmin strap is still going strong.
Now just touted as a Garmin Forerunner HRM strap but looks exactly the same as mine.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image

User avatar
rifraf
Posts: 3354
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Scosche RHYTHM+

Postby rifraf » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:29 pm

Tim wrote:I've found that once the Garmin straps start giving dodgy readings they've pretty much had it.
A wash might keep them going a little bit longer but ultimately they've had the gong and not worth persisting with.
I've been through at least a half a dozen of them, both Garmin and others.


A cycle through the wash has failed to revive it.

If I push on the sensor it appears to offer up a decent reading but the moment I release the pressure it reverts back to an inaccurate reading.
I tried adjusting the tension of the belt to varying degrees without positive change.
I've now binned the old belt and using the same old Edge 800 sensor, but new chest strap that came with my Edge 1000.
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.

User avatar
kb
Posts: 2286
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: Scosche RHYTHM+

Postby kb » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:34 pm

rifraf wrote:
A cycle through the wash has failed to revive it.

If I push on the sensor it appears to offer up a decent reading but the moment I release the pressure it reverts back to an inaccurate reading.
I tried adjusting the tension of the belt to varying degrees without positive change.
I've now binned the old belt and using the same old Edge 800 sensor, but new chest strap that came with my Edge 1000.

The 1000 strap is marginally better too. It has some metal woven in to help cut down false readings from static charge.
Image

Zippy7
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 8:33 am
Location: Sydney, NSW

Re: Scosche RHYTHM+

Postby Zippy7 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:44 pm

I didn't know you could buy the Rhythm+ locally?
I had a look around a few months ago and only found overseas sellers and ended up buying a MIO to try out as an alternative to the chest strap HRM. I was only really looking as my chest strap was annoying during jogging/running, rather than being an issue for cycling (not that I can run any real distance).
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

User avatar
rifraf
Posts: 3354
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Scosche RHYTHM+

Postby rifraf » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:52 pm

Zippy7 wrote:I didn't know you could buy the Rhythm+ locally?
I had a look around a few months ago and only found overseas sellers and ended up buying a MIO to try out as an alternative to the chest strap HRM. I was only really looking as my chest strap was annoying during jogging/running, rather than being an issue for cycling (not that I can run any real distance).


When I posted the thread, JBHIFI had them on offer at $99 Au.
Now it appears they only list the strap.

Ebay has them still (AT) $102.14 with free post
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Scosche-RHYT ... 0687467423
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.

Return to “Buying a bike / parts”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nickdos