Second bike options

Dominicone

Second bike options

Postby Dominicone » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi all. I've been commuting on a Giant Cross city on and off for nearly a year. Lovely run down the perth Mitchell freeway cycle path of just over 40km.
I've got the bug and my upgraditis has kicked in. I am looking at drop bar bikes to try and reduce the time taken, and of course satisfy my desire to have a shiny new bike.
I've done the rounds of the shops and I quite like the contend sl2 disc 2018 version, the tcr advanced 3 2018, or maybe the basic contend 1 2018. I'm cautious of going too basic as I fear ill be kicking myself for not going for the higher groups / better wheeled option etc. I've read the other posts on the 11am 2 discs, and am a little cautious over bespoke and tricky to maintain stuff. Im a M so the previous year sales stuff has all gone in my size. Ive even tried a few MLs that had 800 off the rrp just to gauge if id fit bit no joy. I'm not great at maintenance yet which leans me towards the tcr although the price goes up a bit. Any thoughts or experience with these guys?

Duck!
Expert

Re: Second bike options

Postby Duck! » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:45 pm

The Contend series is similar in geometry to your current bike, so would be quite easy to adapt to. The biggest difference between the Contend and the Contend SL is the brakes; rim brakes on the base models, discs on the SLs. There is nothing to fear with discs; if anything they're easier to maintain than the rim brake models. The SLs are also made from a different grade aluminium alloy, but you'd have to be really well tuned in to the bike to pick the difference.

The TCR is a more aggressive race-oriented geometry, which can take some adapting to ride comfortably, because not only is it longer and lower in the riding position, the shorter wheelbase makes for much sharper handling, which is a lot of fun to ride, but can take some getting used to. The middle ground, which could be worth looking at is the Defy series, which is the carbon-framed brother of the Contend.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:51 pm

+1 to what Duck! said. He does it for a living, I am a rank amateur. It is far easier for me to maintain the hydraulic discs on my MTB compared to the rim brakes on my roadies to say nothing of the cantis on my CX bike.

Dominicone

Postby Dominicone » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:55 am

Thanks guys. I think I'll check out the SL and SL2 discs. I might not notice the difference between them but if it fits.my budget, and I also prefer the look of the SL1.

Dominicone

Postby Dominicone » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:38 pm

I tested a few out and opted for the sl1 disc 2018.
Christened it today and broke a few pbs from last year.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:51 pm

Nice choice mate, enjoy!
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:10 pm

Nice one.

Although I prefer the orange on my 2017 to the green of the 2018 :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!