X Tools?

celeste boy

X Tools?

Postby celeste boy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:36 pm

I needed some disc brake pads but when I attempted to purchase the branded items from Wiggle, stock was not available. Instead, Brand X brakes were available in Shimano and Avid fittings. Similarly, Park Tools have taken a back seat and there are numerous 'X Tools' in the familiar blue colour of Park Tools.
What's happening here? Are Wiggle going for the cheapest supplier, and if they are, we may as well purchase straight from China?

CB

mikgit

Re: X Tools?

Postby mikgit » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:30 pm

probably since wiggle bought crc, crc have sold x tools since forever
Look 675 Pro Team, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Scott Spark 710, Yeti ARC

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:27 am

X Tools are fairly generic and available also from other retailers with different brand names.

Fairly simple and good for DIY however ard low quality in my opinion, eg wrenches are soft and coating on the wrenches and Allen keys quickly wear and attract rust. So but to be cheap, not to last.

I cant comment on whether they are doing disc brakes nor the quality or longevity of them.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:03 am

X-Toolz and Ice Toolz are almost the same, from what I've used. They do the job though. Aside from breaking an Ice Toolz spoke key, I've never had an issue. Sure, they aren't Park "nice", but sometimes I think Park are overkill for anything except shop use.

One of these spoke keys just snapped across the middle after building two wheels with it:

Jim

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:27 pm

lifeline is the wiggle in house tool brand I think. I notice they seem to be phasing out for the x'tools brand (probably the same stuff though)

Return to “Buying a bike / parts”