Hardtail mountain bike recomendations $2000 range

Ian

Hardtail mountain bike recomendations $2000 range

Postby Ian » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:39 pm

My specialized rockhopper is about to turn 17 years old .
Im totally out of the loop with mountain bikes these days , but am ready to get back into it .
I will be riding easy bush trails and some cycle paths , thinking perhaps sticking with a alloy frame as worried about damaging a carbon one.
Sticking with hardtail as im kind of old school .
Im tall 6 foot 2 .

Thoughts and recomendations would be great . This will probably be a bike i keep longterm

rangersac

Re: Hardtail mountain bike recomendations $2000 range

Postby rangersac » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:48 am

For $2K you won't get a carbon bike unless you score something on a run out, or go for a Chinese frame and do a build up. However you'll get a nice alloy number with pretty decent components, and at your size a 29er is the go. Have a look at Bike Exchange for deals, otherwise if you are comfortable with mail order the Canyon Grand Canyon SL 8.9 is pretty sweet. Reba fork, SLX/ XT drivetrain and SLX brakes and Mavic wheels is a solid package.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Claud Butler Sovereign | Titus Motolite

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:30 pm

I'm looking at something similar. I think the Fathom 1 2018 looks like a great bike for the money. 1x11 with a 11- 46, quality forks, brakes and tyres with a Giant dropper as standard. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/fathom-29er-1-2018

Ian

Postby Ian » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:04 pm

Yep im going to look at the 2018 fathom also. That canyon looks like a nice bike also but not sure where to find a dealer for them near me .

I also thought test riding a giant xtc advance to see how it feels and then looking for a good second hand one as to get a carbon frame within my price range .

battler2

Postby battler2 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:41 pm

FAT BIKE
FAT BIKE
FAT BIKE

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:43 am

Ian wrote:Yep im going to look at the 2018 fathom also. That canyon looks like a nice bike also but not sure where to find a dealer for them near me .

I also thought test riding a giant xtc advance to see how it feels and then looking for a good second hand one as to get a carbon frame within my price range .

Canyon looks really good, but you buy online. Great if you have some basic mechanical skills and access to bike mechanic if needed. The fathom looks fine but you may be better off with a name fork and no dropper. Remember 2nd hand bikes don't have warranty - plenty of cracked frames out there (are you a gambler???)

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:08 am

Steel is real if you plan on keeping it long term.

You can get a Marin Pine Mountain for around $1400 with 27.5 plus tyres.

2 mates have them and love them.

If you stretch your budget you could get a Surly Krampus 29 plus or a Karate Monkey 27.5 plus.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:13 am

This will probably be a bike i keep longterm
Hmmm I also tend to do this as well but it has not stopped me buying and building up four new bikes in the past ten years all of which have bits which will keep running for the next few generations of my offspring.
I would have a good look at the Bombtrack Beyond http://bombtrack.com/bikes/beyond-2/ or salsa fargo type of drop bar mountain/ all road bike.
They are fun to ride and if something is kinda nice and simple to use it will get used. These things do lots of different types of riding well and suit the one bike to do it all. Good for single track and can do the just below average technical mountain bike stuff if you poke along. Frame bag and bikepacking kit has really opened these sort of bikes up as touring bikes as they have good wheelsets which handle a load well.
Oh and yes steel is still good, Surly, Singular Cycles, On-One all make well $$, good steel frames if you are up to building a bike at a price.
And one big EDIT.... Do have a look at kona bikes, plenty of good stuff that should suit your shortlist being put out by this lot.

Return to “Buying a bike / parts”