Help with a new bike

swingdoctor

Help with a new bike

Postby swingdoctor » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:19 pm

I purchased an Avanti ARc1 a few months ago and am happy with it but I'm starting to do some road/sealed tracks and was thinking of getting a road bike as well.
I'm hoping to spend about $3k I don't mind demo/used bikes and will spend more if need be. These are the bikes that I have narrowed down and was wondering as I'm relatively new what others more experienced thought. Any other recommendation is also appreciated
https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road- ... /103107188
https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road- ... /102877747 probably at the top of the list

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road- ... /103035625
https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road- ... /102731610

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help with a new bike

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:35 pm

I recommended going to some bike shops. In store, you will be able to get a much better idea of the type of bike and gear to suit. Particularly with this budget, I would really want to nail it down - not to mention ensure you get the right size.

There are plenty of Giant stores around, for Cannondale dealers, the importer is Monza and they link to the international dealer locator here: http://dealerlocator.cannondale.com/

swingdoctor

Postby swingdoctor » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:41 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I recommended going to some bike shops. In store, you will be able to get a much better idea of the type of bike and gear to suit. Particularly with this budget, I would really want to nail it down - not to mention ensure you get the right size.

There are plenty of Giant stores around, for Cannondale dealers, the importer is Monza and they link to the international dealer locator here: http://dealerlocator.cannondale.com/

Have been doing the rounds and at the moment the top of the list is the giant depy adv pro 1, as I think there is little difference from a practical point of view between that and the pro 0. But I would like practical feedback if anyone has any. I can ride the bikes but I'm assuming that I won't be able to tell much of a difference until I have ridden it for a while which obviously I can't do to new bikes.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:07 pm

On the defy, I believe it would be an identical frame with different spec so is very much a question of your budget. Realistically, at this price point you get a lot of bike for your money - a great frame and much of the price difference is in spec.

On the bike exchange listing the Pro 1 has 'Rim brakes' but shows a picture of a disc brake and then further spec with disc brakes. This is something to be wary of in ensuring you actually get what you expect.

In brief, the Defy Pro 0 with Dura Ace is very nicely priced... but only in size 50cm (quite small) and 53cm (small-medium) while the Pro 1 is only 53cm. You want to know that those sizes will fit you.

There are some differences in the wheelsets, but they are proprietary and means you can treat yourself with an upgrade in a year or two.

The main thing is the groupset, and with the less that $300 difference for Dura-Ace, if you can get this then you have the top of the line. That said, the quality of a groupset also depends on looking after it so if you are new to road cycling, Ultegra is a great level groupset.

The Pro 0 looks like an integrated seatpost - so you have to get it cut. The Pro 1 is adjustable. The price is also reflected in the 2016 and 2017 - so the 2016 is cheaper as they are trying to move stock.

You will probably only notice marginal differences - probably the biggest difference is the 'superficial' one of gearing with the 2017 Ultegra 11-32T cassette verses the 11-28T on the Dura Ace.

Giant bikes are pickup only... so it is just like a bike shop and you need to make sure they are nearby.

swingdoctor

Postby swingdoctor » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:21 am

AUbicycles wrote:On the defy, I believe it would be an identical frame with different spec so is very much a question of your budget. Realistically, at this price point you get a lot of bike for your money - a great frame and much of the price difference is in spec.

On the bike exchange listing the Pro 1 has 'Rim brakes' but shows a picture of a disc brake and then further spec with disc brakes. This is something to be wary of in ensuring you actually get what you expect.

In brief, the Defy Pro 0 with Dura Ace is very nicely priced... but only in size 50cm (quite small) and 53cm (small-medium) while the Pro 1 is only 53cm. You want to know that those sizes will fit you.

There are some differences in the wheelsets, but they are proprietary and means you can treat yourself with an upgrade in a year or two.

The main thing is the groupset, and with the less that $300 difference for Dura-Ace, if you can get this then you have the top of the line. That said, the quality of a groupset also depends on looking after it so if you are new to road cycling, Ultegra is a great level groupset.

The Pro 0 looks like an integrated seatpost - so you have to get it cut. The Pro 1 is adjustable. The price is also reflected in the 2016 and 2017 - so the 2016 is cheaper as they are trying to move stock.

You will probably only notice marginal differences - probably the biggest difference is the 'superficial' one of gearing with the 2017 Ultegra 11-32T cassette verses the 11-28T on the Dura Ace.

Giant bikes are pickup only... so it is just like a bike shop and you need to make sure they are nearby.

Thanks AU, I've been to look at the Giants, hoping to have a look at the cannondales by this weekend. You're right the Giant frames are identical the specs are what makes the difference. The Pro 1 have disc brakes, I may not have used the right reference but Have been to the shop. I'm 170 and the shop I went to had both bikes in my size. The difference btw the 2 at the shop I went to was $700. I'm just wondering if its worth the difference. My understanding is that there is not much difference btw ultegra and dura ace and then there's the wheels. Ideally I'd like not to suffer from "upgradeitis".
The seat posts for both are adjustable.
whats your take on electronic groupsets?

Velt

Postby Velt » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:50 am

I think you'd be better off upgrading the wheelset/groupset for your AR C1. For 3K you'd be able to get a really decent upgrade on both. This would likely make more difference in terms of performance than a brand new bike and be better bang for your buck.

swingdoctor

Postby swingdoctor » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:05 am

Velt wrote:I think you'd be better off upgrading the wheelset/groupset for your AR C1. For 3K you'd be able to get a really decent upgrade on both. This would likely make more difference in terms of performance than a brand new bike and be better bang for your buck.

I did consider that but I thought it would cost me over 2K to upgrade both.

Velt

Postby Velt » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:19 pm

swingdoctor wrote:
Velt wrote:I think you'd be better off upgrading the wheelset/groupset for your AR C1. For 3K you'd be able to get a really decent upgrade on both. This would likely make more difference in terms of performance than a brand new bike and be better bang for your buck.

You only need to upgrade the shifters/brakes to full hydro to get the most benefit in shifting performance/breaking as everything else is 105 not going to see much there.

You can get a pair of rs685 shifters with brakes from pro bike kit for less than $600 au. Then spend the rest on some nice wheels. That's what I would do anyways.

swingdoctor

Postby swingdoctor » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:04 pm

Velt wrote:
swingdoctor wrote:

You only need to upgrade the shifters/brakes to full hydro to get the most benefit in shifting performance/breaking as everything else is 105 not going to see much there.

You can get a pair of rs685 shifters with brakes from pro bike kit for less than $600 au. Then spend the rest on some nice wheels. That's what I would do anyways.

The bike already has hydraulic brakes I'm mainly talking about the wheels and cassettes etc. Unless you mean that the cassettes don't make much of a difference. Whats your take on electronic shifters?

Velt

Postby Velt » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:22 pm

swingdoctor wrote:
Velt wrote:
swingdoctor wrote:I did consider that but I thought it would cost me over 2K to upgrade both.

The bike already has hydraulic brakes I'm mainly talking about the wheels and cassettes etc. Unless you mean that the cassettes don't make much of a difference. Whats your take on electronic shifters?

Shifting perfomance is second to none. But it lacks any of the feel or feedback that you get from mechanical shifting, if you're romantic about that thing.

If your bike already has hydro brakes (Sorry I thought it came with cable discs) then I would put all your cash into a set of wheels.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:04 pm

I'll add some corrections, and confirmations where applicable - my additions in red. Some of the images and information in the ads are incorrect too.
AUbicycles wrote:On the defy, I believe it would be an identical frame with different spec so is very much a question of your budget. Realistically, at this price point you get a lot of bike for your money - a great frame and much of the price difference is in spec. Yes, the Defy Advanced and Advanced Pro models use the same frame; the fork is the major difference between the two.

On the bike exchange listing the Pro 1 has 'Rim brakes' but shows a picture of a disc brake and then further spec with disc brakes. This is something to be wary of in ensuring you actually get what you expect. The first advertising error - all carbon Defies from 2015-model onward are disc brake; there are no rim brake models above the two lowest-spec aluminium bikes (renamed Contend from 2017 onward).

In brief, the Defy Pro 0 with Dura Ace is very nicely priced... That ad is a complete ballz-up. The image and the spec list are the top-level Advanced SL, NOT Advanced Pro. The initial run-down is the correct listing for the Pro 0 model..... but only in size 50cm (quite small) and 53cm (small-medium) while the Pro 1 is only 53cm. You want to know that those sizes will fit you. 50cm is Medium & 53.5cm is Medium-Large in Giant's measurements. Their reference point is the top of the seat tube, which due to the compact geometry results in what appear short measurements for their actual size. Confusingly, this same logic is applied to uncut Integrated seat Post (ISP) frames, resulting in a Medium frame being listed as an apparently ridiculous 74cm!

The main thing is the groupset, and with the less that $300 difference for Dura-Ace, if you can get this then you have the top of the line. Again, wrong info in the ad. No Advanced Pro models were specced with Dura-Ace, that was restricted to the top-level Advanced SL - check very thoroughly with the seller, because that ad is very misleading! That said, the quality of a groupset also depends on looking after it so if you are new to road cycling, Ultegra is a great level groupset.

The Pro 0 looks like an integrated seatpost - so you have to get it cut. The Pro 1 is adjustable. The price is also reflected in the 2016 and 2017 - so the 2016 is cheaper as they are trying to move stock. As above, wrong bike illustrated! ISP was only a feature of the Advanced SL frame. Advanced & Pro (same frame) are all standard adjustable post.

I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:42 am

Thanks Duck!
Good info there and hence worthwhile to go instore.

Unfortunately these type of errors or flaws in ads on BikeExchange are not the exception.