Peugeot classique prestige tange 2?

RideItMyPony

Peugeot classique prestige tange 2?

Postby RideItMyPony » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:14 pm

I have a friend in Melbourne selling what he has said is a "Peugeot classique tange 2 prestige" - the frame has a bit of presumably cosmetic rust and he picked it up on gumtree as a single gear(??) and is now onselling as he never rode it (preferred his other bikes).

Asking price is $430 (he got for $500). I know very little about bikes but he says the frame is great - it has some component parts but I believe a lot had been newly replaced when he bought it.

Any thoughts on whether this is a good deal or fair price? Am I better off looking for something different? My budget is $500ish and while I was looking originally for something with gears I've been riding another friend's single gear and it seems reasonable enough...

I note that the frame might also be too big for me - he's my height though and says it's borderline as to being big but can definitely get away with it.

eeksll

Re: Peugeot classique prestige tange 2?

Postby eeksll » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:23 pm

I think $430 is pretty pricey for a second hand single speed bike. Unless its a special frame or has some uber sweet parts on it and by the sounds of it you don't really care about that.

Have a look at reid

uart

Postby uart » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:40 pm

RideItMyPony wrote:I have a friend in Melbourne selling what he has said is a "Peugeot classique tange 2 prestige" - the frame has a bit of presumably cosmetic rust and he picked it up on gumtree as a single gear(??) and is now onselling as he never rode it (preferred his other bikes).

Asking price is $430 (he got for $500). I know very little about bikes but he says the frame is great - it has some component parts but I believe a lot had been newly replaced when he bought it.

Any thoughts on whether this is a good deal or fair price? Am I better off looking for something different? My budget is $500ish and while I was looking originally for something with gears I've been riding another friend's single gear and it seems reasonable enough...

I note that the frame might also be too big for me - he's my height though and says it's borderline as to being big but can definitely get away with it.
It sounds like your friend bought it right after it had a "fixie conversion" done on it. People buy old bikes very cheaply from gumtree or yard sales etc, and convert them to single speed because it's a retro fad.

500 dollars sounds pretty pricey. If you wanted it as a vintage bike then the fixie conversion has devalued that. If you want just for riding then you can probably find a better bike for the money.

If you want to know what size bike you need then if tell us your height we can estimate what frame size you should be looking at and how to measure it.

If you are interested in this bike for it's value as a vintage bike then post over in the "retro" forum. There will be people there that will have a better idea of what it's actually worth. http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewforum.php?f=23

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:07 am

You need to give us a photo or a break down of the parts on the frame to give us an idea of its worth

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:04 pm

A lot of this depends on how much was done as part of the fixie conversion. If braze-on mounts were removed, then the frame is pretty much worthless as a Peugeot frame and probably only suitable for fixie duties. Detailed pics would help, but believe $430 is just way too much. Think a Peugeot Classique is a PY10 and I'm currently working on two PE10DWs (the poorer cousin, but still a great frame) and think your friend paid too much in the first place.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:11 am

What they said. Also, you've already raised the fit question. I've paid a premium a few times for frames in my size, knowing that there aren't that many big ones that fit me changing hands at any given time. If you're paying $430 for a bike that doesn't fit, it's not a bargain in any way.

Jim

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:33 am

Interesting to note that a lot of the peugeot road bikes were actually built in Australia by different framebuilders. For that era it was cheaper and there were vast differences in quality. I don't know enough about them to say why (better to ask in the retro cycling forum) but it means that there are gems and there are also some very ordinary frames.

Follow up on the fixie conversion because if it can't be returned to the original (or is too costly) then reconsider. Also, if you are intending to ride it yourself but have nothing more to work with that a seat adjustment (height / lateral) and still don't get the right fit, then it may make sense to wait for the next one.
Cycling is in my BNA