New road pedals. Shimano or Look Keo.

uart

New road pedals. Shimano or Look Keo.

Postby uart » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:05 pm

I'm thinking about getting a new set of pedals for road use, and was wondering what is the best option in the budget to mid range price region. I don't need anything too light or fancy, but I don't exactly want too much unnecessary weight either.

I can get Shimano PD-R550 at a pretty good price, but I notice that at the same price point some of the look/keo stuff is a bit lighter (Look Keo Max 2 for example is 50g lighter).

Can anyone offer opinions to help me decide. :)

kb

Re: New road pedals. Shimano or Look Keo.

Postby kb » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:35 pm

Shimano will allow to swap bikes (or shoes) with more people. Look/Keo will let you try / upgrade to power pedals. I like Look but haven’t tried Shimano. The Look/Keo have a tendency to squeak when new. Look make touring and city shoes that work with road pedals which I’ve found useful occasionally when doing stuff after work.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:23 pm

Go Shimano. The wider pedal body & larger cleat provide a more stable platform. The pedals have better bearings, even at the entry R540/R550 level, which last longer and are more serviceable, where Look go loose & sloppy after a while, and the Shimano cleats are harder-wearing with better "walking pads" - the coloured bits on the cleats. Look also have walking pads, but they're very soft, poorly attached and disintegrate rapidly, after which you chew into the important parts of the cleats.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

uart

Postby uart » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:32 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah I've already got one bike with R540's so I really wanted to stay with Shimano for cleat compatibility (though I do have a spare pair of shoes if I really needed two different cleats sets).

I don't really need another set of road pedals, as I can swap the R540's between bikes, but the new set will just be to save me from the bother of doing that.

I think I'll probably just go with R550's.

Thanks. :)

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:53 pm

uart wrote:I don't really need another set of road pedals, as I can swap the R540's between bikes, but the new set will just be to save me from the bother of doing that.

oh yeah you do :mrgreen: I am a speed play user and I'd pay speedplay money to have pedals on both bikes.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:56 pm

Speedplay.

/thread

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:14 pm

Post moved to correct thread.

Return to “Buying a bike / parts”