Hammerhead Karoo .. Any takers?

march83

Re: Hammerhead Karoo .. Any takers?

Postby march83 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:23 am

Their first device with an interface.

If you're not looking at Hammerhead's history, their blog posts, reading between the lines and understanding that this is a massive undertaking for this company then you're being more than a little bit of naive. Ordering one of these things demands some flexibility in your expectations or you're going to have a bad time.

Give leeway or be disappointed, how about that? It's a pre-order - you're a beta tester.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:38 am

Hey, I'm not a kickstarter or even thinking of getting one, so just commenting on what I see. It seems that because it's a kickstarter, it's more acceptable for faults/undeveloped stuff to be sent (and quite late at that) and a lot promised and not delivered.

Yep, get it's a major undertaking and hope they succeed, but it's like many others, over promise, under deliver and chalk it up to "hey it's a kickstarter, what do you expect ?"

For that price, I expect more, especially transparency.

I've moved away from Garmin (after a 305/500 and 520) and tested a 1030 to the Wahoo Bolt. It's not without it's faults, but compared to others, it's damn good and does what I need.

If those that got the Karoo are happy to pay to get a sub-standard product for a while and like working through that stuff because they can see the end of the rainbow, then great.

Look fwd to seeing the positive feedback as they get stuff sorted :-)

am50em

Postby am50em » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:44 pm

With yeterdays software update the Karoo is finally at point were I can use it as my main cycling computer. It finally has grade/VAM/better battery indicator. Looking forward to additional features in coming months.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:37 pm

Sales must be slow - I'm still getting emailed offers at the pre-order price.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:43 pm

RonK wrote:Sales must be slow - I'm still getting emailed offers at the pre-order price.
Given the varied reports and update promises, I’d be watching from the sidelines before I’d hand out any cash.

Be interesting to see where they are in a years time

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:30 am

MichaelB wrote:
RonK wrote:Sales must be slow - I'm still getting emailed offers at the pre-order price.
Given the varied reports and update promises, I’d be watching from the sidelines before I’d hand out any cash.

Be interesting to see where they are in a years time
Yeah, I've been used/abused as a test/development guinea pig by Garmin and Magellan already. Not doing that again.

am50em

Postby am50em » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:02 am

https://blog.hammerhead.io/shipping-res ... 5ee2071696
Does this also mean that we are getting close to ending our special order pricing of $299? Yes, it does! By the end of this week, Karoo’s pre-order price will increase to $399. Why not the full price yet? Because new orders placed these days will still incur a delivery delay of several weeks.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:47 pm

Some serious bar real estate there! Unit in photo comparison is my son's Garmin 800.
Will load some action shots later...great screen and interface, very easy to read in full light.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:36 am

That's HUGE :shock: What does it weigh ?

I admit, that when reviewing the Garmin 1030, the screen size & legibility were great (especially with maps), but it was just too big.

Going back to the Wahoo Bolt was a shock, but I got used to it pretty quick, and it works fine.

Have some of the 'promised upgrades' been done as planned ?

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:20 am

Credit to them, they are churning through the bug and feature requests.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:24 pm

Time for a thread dredge and answer a question that popped into my head for no reason.

For those that got these, how are they going ?

Hammerhead still updating and improving things ?

march83

Postby march83 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:30 pm

I cancelled mine, but I'm still on their mailing list so I'm getting notifications every time there's a software update. Seems like they're adding functionality and fixing bugs but there was an update recently where a certain metric was added that made me think that the device was really incomplete up until that point...

Would be interested to hear from anyone that actually ordered.

I wonder how sales are at the "full price" of $500? Or did they knock that down?

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:08 pm

It's the only head unit I have now, used at least 5 days a week.
Not using navigation functionality atm, just straight data fields with power and speed sensors, no problems for me.
So i'm not really testing the full gamut of features at present.
They do updates every 2 weeks and seem to take on-board most popular feature changes/fixes quite quickly.

It's the small convenient things that are lacking and annoy me most about it though.
- Having to press 3 times to commence a ride: Press bike icon, press start, then press the physical button *facepalm*
- No direct Garmin Connect auto upload (its my main repository where all other services sync off - Strava/TP)
... 1st world problems I know.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:25 pm

Crawf wrote:It's the only head unit I have now, used at least 5 days a week.
Not using navigation functionality atm, just straight data fields with power and speed sensors, no problems for me.
So i'm not really testing the full gamut of features at present.
They do updates every 2 weeks and seem to take on-board most popular feature changes/fixes quite quickly.

It's the small convenient things that are lacking and annoy me most about it though.
- Having to press 3 times to commence a ride: Press bike icon, press start, then press the physical button *facepalm*
- No direct Garmin Connect auto upload (its my main repository where all other services sync off - Strava/TP)
... 1st world problems I know
It's surprising that it doesn't have it (although Garmin is also very selective of who it will auto upload too), but there are so many options I wonder if it is licencing stuff or costs.

Good to hear that it's still operating and improving.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:16 am

So what happened with this device?
Did anybody get one? Still using it?
Or did it die from a dearth of interest?

am50em

Postby am50em » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:14 pm

Still using mine. In general works well, just the occasional sensor dropout. They still need to get the software more stable for all users, and clean up the display format.

am50em

Postby am50em » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:56 am

Quick update - with the last updates, the devices has been working perfectly with good (11 hr plus) battery life. Still need improve the presentation on screen and tweak data representation but still very usable.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:51 am

am50em wrote:Quick update - with the last updates, the devices has been working perfectly with good (11 hr plus) battery life. Still need improve the presentation on screen and tweak data representation but still very usable.
It's been a veeeeeerrrrrrrryyyyyyyy long development period. And Garmin gets blas=tred for releasing products with bugs.

As long as you are happy

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:32 am

Have a discount code for anyone wanting to order one of these, code will make it $300+ postage AUD.
PM if you want it. CODE NOW USED
Last edited by Crawf on Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbareis

Postby dbareis » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:45 am

Crawf wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:32 am
Have a discount code for anyone wanting to order one of these, code will make it $300+ postage AUD.
PM if you want it.
Shipping is free and without discount code currently $374.00 AUD, yes I'd like the discount code, thanks, will PM

am50em

Postby am50em » Mon May 18, 2020 5:07 pm

Version 1 of Karoo no longer available. Some teasers about version 2 show it looking more svelte and with inbuilt audio. Due sometime this year?!
As for the curent model, the firmware is still being enhanced and works well. Latest release has Strava segments so you know where they start/finish and how far ahead/behind of your PR, people you follow PR and/or KOM.

https://support.hammerhead.io/hc/en-us/ ... e-Segments

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 18, 2020 6:00 pm

am50em wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:07 pm
Version 1 of Karoo no longer available. Some teasers about version 2 show it looking more svelte and with inbuilt audio. Due sometime this year?!
As for the curent model, the firmware is still being enhanced and works well. Latest release has Strava segments so you know where they start/finish and how far ahead/behind of your PR, people you follow PR and/or KOM.

https://support.hammerhead.io/hc/en-us/ ... e-Segments
Interesting that it's taken so long to get some basic features nailed. Just went through the "lost my Wahoo Bolt, so what do I get instead", but then managed to find it after I bought the Roam. Yes, it doesn't have some of the features of others, but Garmin usability is poor (especially the UI), well crap actually but has good features and good pricing, others are too big (Karoo), Trimm is great looking but missing some key features, and I don't think any others are close.

Now the dilemma I have is what I do with the Roam now that i found the Bolt .... :?:

am50em

Postby am50em » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:55 am

Version 2 now presale but delivery not till December.
Smaller, lighter.
https://www.hammerhead.io/pages/karoo2

I will wait till later next year for user feedback before considering purchase. My current one is working fine so no rush to upgrade.

am50em

Postby am50em » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:23 am

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:47 pm

am50em wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:55 am
Version 2 now presale but delivery not till December.
Smaller, lighter.
https://www.hammerhead.io/pages/karoo2

I will wait till later next year for user feedback before considering purchase. My current one is working fine so no rush to upgrade.
DCRainmaker gives his first impressions at https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/08/ham ... rides.html