Rear Derailleur Hanger - can`t find the same one?

radoslava tosheva

Rear Derailleur Hanger - can`t find the same one?

Postby radoslava tosheva » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:30 am

Hi there,

I`ve got a road bike FLIGHT Aspire 2 105 Groupset bought from Amart Sport 3 years ago (now joining forces with Rebel). I need a rear derailleur hanger and it`s been a pain in the ass to find exactly the same one.

It seems like some manufactory, somewhere built those bike and delivered to Amart 3 years ago, and no one knows anything else. I`ve contacted a couple of bike stores, whose reps said they have never seen such hanger and after checking all their supplier it is impossible to get the same one. Also, Amart doesn`t know anything. They couldn`t give me even the supplier name.
I also researched on multiple websites, who are focused on bike parts/derrailleurs only, no success.

The closest size/shape I found is on Ebay + AliExpress. I`m thinking about buying one and using a rasp to make it fit.

Anyone had such experience before with these FLIGHT bikes or with rear derailleur hanger? Where did you buy parts?
Also, do you think my solution (rasping and adapting) might influence the gears change?

Any advise would be so helpful! It`s been a couple of weeks and it has been s challenging to fix the bike.

Thank you in advance!!!!
CHeers,
Radi

queequeg

Re: Rear Derailleur Hanger - can`t find the same one?

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:52 pm

'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:05 am

Could be a frustrating process - I would try again with Amart and look to escalate it. Flight is their inhouse brand, they import directly so they are the supplier (distributer). The sales people on the floor probably don't know and as they are into sales and not repair it is easiest for them to brush you off. Amart Sports are part of the Super Retail Group (yes with rebel).

But, trying that route will be a dead-end that will just end up costing you time and likely won't lead to a solution.

Failing a close match on a derailleur site (you won't find Flight), go the ebay solution. WIth the hanger, you can drill/machine but don't bend. Aluminium is not designed for that... or rather is designed to bend and fracture before your frame. Good Luck.
Cycling is in my BNA

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:20 am

Are you in Victoria?
There is a staff member in the Mornington Store who repairs bikes there. Very knowledgeable and helpful.
Ask for Big Paul :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:37 am

It's a shocker trying to find one for a less than popular brand. I had the same issue a while ago for an Apollo. Eventually managed to find one that looked the same on eBay (I think). Expected it not to fit, but it did fortunately. Make sure that you look closely at the shape and cross your fingers while its in the post.

Same old question: why can't they make less than, say, 5 standard sizes? It seems that it's not even consistent across the same brand. There is no real need for so many different designs, especially when so many bike frames come out of only a few factories.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:40 am

how about you post a pic of it?

both sides is better to compare against the hundreds available,

some of the ebay sellers have pics of many in each add, and as you have likely noticed the aliexpress and ebay ones are about 5 bucks ea,
Make sure that you look closely at the shape and cross your fingers while its in the post.
agreed, the most important aspects are the holes if any, some of the ally can be filed away if it is a little bigger in some areas, look for tell tale things like specific angles of corners for example.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:12 am

www.wheelsmfg.com

There are about 300 different hangers there. To save hunting through all of them, narrow it down to the number of bolt holes. I would be fairly confident a matching hanger is out there somewhere.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

radoslava tosheva

Postby radoslava tosheva » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:30 pm

queequeg wrote:Have you tried here?

https://derailleurhanger.com/alternate-search/
Thank you for your answer! Yes, I checked this website and many more. Unfortunately, no success.

radoslava tosheva

Postby radoslava tosheva » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:42 pm

Hey everyone,
Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion and experience!
I`ve ordered a part from AliExpress-they sell directly to end users unlike AliBaba,who target Businesses. I`ll try to alter it somehow. But I agree, what`s the point of having hundreds of different pieces.

I am checking the recommended website too: http://wheelsmfg.com/.Let`s see if I find something.
I`ll def check the Mornington store and ask for Paul. I went to Rebel in Victoria Gardens. Such waste of time. I was like can you just make a phone call to your office and ask who is the supplier? Could you check in the system? Ans so many objections. This guy wasn`t thinking at all, just trying to find reasons not to do it. So disappointing. Anyway, I don`t want to be rude but that`s the true.

Not sure how to post pictures here :<
Can`t wait for the AliExpress part to arrive :< :( :O :{ let`s see

Henry_Y

Postby Henry_Y » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:29 pm

Hi,

Did that derailleur hanger end up working?

My girlfriend was riding her Flight Aspire 2 today and the hanger got ripped right off..