Best MTB tyres for summer

booge

Best MTB tyres for summer

Postby booge » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:19 am

Quick question, Im after suggestions for better MTB tyres for summer conditions (mostly firetrail type surfaces). On the road i've always stuck with Conti GP4000 and love them for their longevity and puncture resistance. I currently use Maxxis larsen on the MTB and they're so so, still get a few punctures.

Is there a MTB equivalent of the ever reliable Conti GP4000?? (I'm still on 26inch wheels and don't run tubeless, don't laugh)

bychosis

Re: Best MTB tyres for summer

Postby bychosis » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:16 am

Best tyre for MTB will suit your local conditions. I've been using Maxxis Crossmark for a while, several pairs worth. Seem to roll well, corner fine. At the end of the day, hard wearing reduces traction which is necessary on trails.

Tubeless is a great way to reduce punctures and also lets you run lower pressure for better grip.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:57 am

Seriously, if punctures are the concern, ditch the tubes. The tyres are more robust than their standard counterparts, and because of the low pressure can be quite safely set up on most rims (I would not recommend this for road though).

Another vote for Crossmarks from me, but your dirt will dictate ultimate suitability; they're at their best on hardpack or sandy layer over hardpack, but due to the relatively low-profile tread blocks can lack bite on coarser gravel. Maxxis Ardent is a good option for coarse loose stuff.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:49 pm

If you are running 26" wheels, Maxxis Ignitor 26x2.35 front matched with a 26x2.0 Larsen on the rear works really well. Not sure if you can still get 'em.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:34 pm

I like conti racekings, but that's me (have them in 26in on one bike and love them)...also michelin 26 tyres are on super sale at crc at the moment.
Look 675 Pro Team, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Scott Spark 710, Yeti ARC