Bamboozled Road bike for youth.

Afish

Bamboozled Road bike for youth.

Postby Afish » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:13 am

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade a road bike for my 11 yo son to do the Great Vic. He is 150cm thus likely an XS frame.

Ideally I have been looking out for a 2nd hand bike, however I have not found anything suitable so I am now looking at new entry level road bikes.

Some bikes we have looked at are;

Specialized Allex E5
Giant Defy 3
Giant Contend
Cannondale Synapse Sora

A lot of it will come done to how he feels on the bike, however it hard to gauge at that at age.

All of these bikes are within $ 200 of each other and similar componentry.

Any suggestions for other bikes we should be looking for or guidance in deciding from the above list?

Thanks in advance.

Regards Andy.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bamboozled Road bike for youth.

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:00 pm

There is a brand called Byk which may be worth looking at. Essentially you need to get a size that suits and if XS is a bit too big, then it could be the brand you are after.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:38 pm

Does anyone still make 650C (not B) bikes? I'm sufficiently old to have had a bike with 24" tyres (with cottered cranks and five speeds - single front chain ring) "when I were a lad"

Edit: answered my own question when I found some decent webpages on the bikes above :oops: . Good to see!
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:13 pm

Afish wrote:Hi,

I am looking to upgrade a road bike for my 11 yo son to do the Great Vic. He is 150cm thus likely an XS frame.

Ideally I have been looking out for a 2nd hand bike, however I have not found anything suitable so I am now looking at new entry level road bikes.

Some bikes we have looked at are;

Specialized Allex E5
Giant Defy 3
Giant Contend
Cannondale Synapse Sora

A lot of it will come done to how he feels on the bike, however it hard to gauge at that at age.

All of these bikes are within $ 200 of each other and similar componentry.

Any suggestions for other bikes we should be looking for or guidance in deciding from the above list?

Thanks in advance.

Regards Andy.

Hi Andy, would be worth contacting some local bike clubs or going down to a velodrome if you have one local, as a lot of xs bikes get traded around, posted on club notice boards etc.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:50 pm

You might also keep an eye out for the Giant TCR Advanced SL4. It'll be hard to find them and I don't know if they were ever sold here, but they do exist - I've seen them. Adjustable seat post rather than the integrated seat post of its higher spec siblings.

That's probably going to be a second hand purchase though.

Afish

Postby Afish » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:26 am

Thanks for the responses.

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:03 pm

My sons have road bikes,

My eldest (then 13) has a Cell Bike that came in XS that was around $600 when purchased. Can't see it on their site anymore, but may be worth checking.

My youngest (then 12) has a Fuji 650, like this: http://www.shop.cycleworld.com.au/a/roa ... /103088171
It was around $750 (on special) when purchased)
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough