N + 1 = an allrounder ?

Newcastle Dave

N + 1 = an allrounder ?

Postby Newcastle Dave » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:59 pm

I currently own two bikes, a Cell Omeo 2 (carbon framed Ulegra Di2) and a Mirada Cyclocross 4 (Alloy 105).

I have had the Omeo for a number of years (I bought one almost as soon as they came out) and have enjoyed riding it. The longest/hardest ride I did on it was the lake Taupo ride 3 years ago. However I have lately found it not the most comfortable for longer rides (anything over 100k for me is a longer ride)

I bought the Merida originally as a wet weather commuter (and it was good for that), but lately I have been using it for some of my longer rides (I did the 250 km Around the Bay a couple of weeks back on it), as I have found the more relaxed setup easier for a ride of several hours. Its quite a bit heavier though, and not sure I would like pushing it around a hilly course like Taupo or the Newcrest Orange Challenge

I am now thinking that perhaps a solution would be another bike (isn't the solution ALWAYS buying another bike).

My thoughts were something like the specialized Diverge Comp E5 or the Giant AnyRoad CoMax (or even the ToughRoad
SLR GX 0 - although I am not sure the SRAM 1X would be high enough geared for the open road). I do enjoy hitting the odd dirt/gravel road and its something I would like to do more of. However it still needs to be "fast enough" on the tarmac (yes I realize any bike is fast enough if you peddle it hard enough)

The other reason I need a 3rd bike is that I will be spending some more time in WA, flying over for a week or two at a time. I thought that rather than bringing a bike each time, I could leave one at a friends house in Perth and pick it up each time I fly in.

Any thought on the above bikes ? or other suggestions around the $2500 mark ?

cyclotaur

Re: N + 1 = an allrounder ?

Postby cyclotaur » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:05 pm

I've recently had a good look at the Specialized Diverge Comp E5.

48/32 cranks into 11-32 cassette gives great gearing range, they are designed for comfort yet have classy road-bike(ish) looks (IMHO) and come with 30c tyres but with room for much bigger if you want/need for say light touring. And of course you can always get a lighter wheelset and 25/28c tyres for longer road rides like ATB. Do a deal on pedals and some accessories and you'll probably get one for ~$2300 at most.

Can't really comment on the other two beyond aesthetics from looking at them online, but the CoMax looks a bit dorky with that top tube, and I don't rate SRAM Apex that highly (personal view) on the ToughRoad - although it looks nicer than the CoMax.
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:36 pm

Newcastle Dave wrote:... I do enjoy hitting the odd dirt/gravel road and its something I would like to do more of. However it still needs to be "fast enough" on the tarmac ...

Any thought on the above bikes ? or other suggestions around the $2500 mark ?

Hard to have much in the way of thoughts without knowing your aesthetic and cycling tick boxes. And there's so many slightly overlapping bike niches out there.

What you seem to have described is closer to an "all road" or "randonneur" or "gravel grinder" bike - a light, fast bike suitable for long rides over sealed and unsealed roads. Slightly more relaxed geometry than cyclocross and lighter/faster than a tourer or a bike-packer. Much fatter tyres than a road bike (and probably with ways to stow some gear & mount mudguards)

There's stuff from both big (e.g. Specialized Diverge as noted ) not-so-big (Salsa, Surly, Masi) and downright small (Velo Orange) makers.

The surprise might be that many of the contenders in this space are CroMo rather than carbon or alloy.

There's this list of bikes from Cycling About which is a good place as any to start.

There's still lots of development going on in this space - see Jan Heine's review of the 2017 Concours de Machines (of course he's pushing it - his bike won a prize and people were using his tyres)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:52 pm

I've heard a disc brake version of the long running Fuji Touring will be available soon....they are a nice bike...had one 12 yrs ago. Now wish i never sold it.

Cheers

Brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR -2013

owly

Postby owly » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:55 pm

Norco has the Search XR coming out soon.
MUFC :twisted:

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:59 pm

Thanks for the thoughts - will be testing a couple of Specialized bikes this weekend (Diverge and Roubaix)