Which Groupset?

Pedro5

Which Groupset?

Postby Pedro5 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:02 pm

Hi,
I'm looking to upgrade to a new titanium frame bike. I have read and heard so many conflicting stories and unsure which is best way to go.
Considering the top 2 of each brand, which provides better durability, ease of use, replacement parts, etc????????
Pedro

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Which Groupset?

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:06 pm

Hi Pedro, you will need to provide more information. What are your concerns and what are your priorities.

The top models from the top brand are comparable for quality and reliability but something can always go wrong. Shimano is often an easy option because it is the biggest brand and bike shops are more likely to have current model replacement parts in stock. But when a shop has to order in stuff, SRAM works well.

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:47 pm

Disc or rim brakes?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:58 pm

Shimano Di2 is super easy to install and configure and being in the Shimano world, parts are easy to find.

Most of my bikes have been mechanical Dura Ace 9000, also superb.

But i do have SRAM red E Tap, that is good too.

Pedro5

Postby Pedro5 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:53 pm

Hi,
Thanks for responses so far. I am a 50yo rider who has been riding a Binachi steel frame bike (In original paintwork) and upgraded parts. I have been saving $ and looking at a titanium frame bike with components to help me continue to enjoy long rides (150km), interval training and hill climbs as part of enjoying something I love doing. Re groupset question earlier, I'm hearing and seeing grossest not being what they used to be, robust, durable and responsive. Nickdos asks a very good question re disc or caliber brakes and electronic v mechanical. Thoughts????
Thanks
Pedro

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:44 pm

Pedro5 wrote:I'm hearing and seeing groupsest not being what they used to be, robust, durable and responsive.

Nonsense. They're better than they've ever been.
I had 105 and Dura Ace equipment 30 years ago.
Today's stuff is far superior.
I ride on mechanical Ultegra and mechanical Dura Ace gear nowadays. The only difference between the modern two is price and imperceptible weight variation. Both current groupsets are lighter than they used to be, every bit as durable and shift and brake much more precisely than decades ago.
Modern chains seem to wear more rapidly than heavy old 7 and 8 speed stuff I once had but they're cheap to replace. Cables I replace at 5,000km intervals, more frequently than days of old but I like doing it.
As an indication of durability; Chainrings and cassettes - 20,000km's, Chains - 5,000km's, brake pads - 10-15,000km's. I haven't had to replace any fixed components due to wear. One of my Dura Ace groupsets has clocked up over 53,000km's.
The only exception is bottom brackets. Modern press-fits are crap.
Treat mechanical gear with care, keep it tuned and maintained properly and it will run superbly for a long time and distance.
Last edited by Tim on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:13 pm

Tim wrote:The only exception is bottom brackets. Modern press-fits are crap.

Given the OP is looking at a Titanium frame, there is a decent chance he will be spared that curse. ;-)

To clarify, the primary issue with press-fit is the frame manufacturers' attention to tolerance for fitting the assembly in. If the frame shell is just a poofteenth of a micron oversize or ovalised, problems will abound. The bearing assemblies themselves are largely quite OK.

As for the merits of each brand, here's my thoughts.....

Shimano: lacks the "bling" of the others even at Dura-Ace level, but it just plain works. Easy to set up, easy to tune, and in Di2 forms, offers a great deal of customisation. Ergonomics around the shift/brake levers can be a bit hit & miss. Performance-wise, there is very little to split between Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105, it's mostly only materials that differ.

SRAM: Excellent ergonomics on mechanical brake levers, hydro less so (very boxy hoods, with a sharp edge right in the crook of your thumb). Light weight, but let down by bad design, finnicky tuning and poor manufacturing quality. They're getting better, but reliability is still a fair way short of the others. eTap is clean, being wireless, but clunky & slower in its shifting than Di2, with no customising ability.

Campagnolo: Bling City, especially at the peak Super Record level, with titanium, carbon and ceramics everywhere, even if they're not the most appropriate materials for the application..... Ergonomics are good, but you either love or hate the "mouse-ear" shift paddle. EPS almost needs a degree to set up and tune, and you'd better not be colour blind, otherwise you might mix up the colour-coded LED signals and end up in all sorts of bother, for a system that like SRAM's eTap offers nothing in the way of customising. Setup and tuning is generally on a par with Shimano, but does take a little bit more finesse on the rear gears, largely due to unequal sprocket spacings across the range. Reliability is generally good, but shifter mechanisms can be prone to wearing out.
Last edited by Duck! on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:19 pm

Old square tapered bottom brackets did last longer but they were tons heavier and a PITA to adjust with a two pin tool and C spanner.
Yes, modern BB's are easy and cheap to replace and most of the problems are frame related.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:42 pm

something else to consider is SRAM is not available from big overseas retailers, so you will have to pay the SRAM international tax.

as to quality, I am probably 2 decades away from experiencing anything in the top tier :cry: