Lock for the Bike at the Servo/Shop

Arbuckle23

Lock for the Bike at the Servo/Shop

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:51 am

Not looking for a heavy duty lock, just something light enough to carry in a jersey pocket that will stop any random walk offs when the bike is out of my immediate sight for a couple of minute at a coffee shop, servo or similar.

Just looking to stop opportunists when I need to quickly go inside a shop and leave the bike outside for a few seconds when riding alone.

Saw this on the Pushys https://www.pushys.com.au/subrosa-comba ... range.html
Any good, or am I dreaming?
Any other locks I should be looking at?

Trawling through old threads finds mostly info on heavy duty stuff for when the bike is parked well out of site for a period.

Jubas

Re: Lock for the Bike at the Servo/Shop

Postby Jubas » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:46 am

I use a snowboard lock for exactly that purpose. e.g. https://www.larryadler.com/demon-board- ... hoEALw_wcB

About $25; relatively flat, so doesn't jab into me in a jersey pocket; combination so no chance of losing key; strong enough to stop opportunistic thieves.

Definitely not for leaving overnight!

edsa

Postby edsa » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:51 am

I use a knog party frank. Not as compact as the retractable cable locks but it has a nice soft rubber coating so wont damage the paintwork. Definitely not for leaving for long periods.

peter

Postby peter » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:11 am

I have this one for situations like that, probably won't stand any force:

https://bbbcycling.com/en/accessories/locks/BBL-10

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:04 pm

I've just been using a basic cable lock with a key. Bought a few of them. Cost about $4 each. Sure, they aren't real secure, but if its only for stopping opportunists, it'll do the job for me.

An unbranded version of this:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/master-lock ... k_p4100012
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:36 pm

I did link to the wrong lock

This Lock is the one I meant :)

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:02 pm

If you forget a lock and quickly need to visit a shop undo the front skewer and leave it in situ. Then thread the helmet straps through the rear wheel and clip it shut. If it can fit around a pole all the better. A wheel falling out of the frame as a thief goes to ride off may just be enough to stop the theft or it may even cause a fall.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:29 pm

I own on of those Kryptonite R2 Retractor 2.4mm x 90cm Combo Cable locks.

I would not call it sturdy, it feels very light and flimsy.

I will only use it when the my bike is within sight but just out of reach ie coffee stop. To stop the walk/ride off.

I don't think it would stop a blitz attack like I witnessed outside a train station a couple of years ago. A guy decided he did not want to walk home, he saw a bike in the bike rack with a cable lock, and proceeded to give the bike a few good kicks to break the lock. He was gone in the 15 seconds it took the guards to react. The bike remained, only because the cable lock was only attached to the brake and gear cables.

xastorm

Postby xastorm » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:28 pm

I have an Ottolock.. basically an expensive cable tie with a lock but it rolls up tightly and fits into the V of my small frame perfectly, and also is long enough for using in the car, etc.

https://ottodesignworks.com/shop/ottolock

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Another vote for the ottolock. Definitely much stronger and harder to defeat than anything else mentioned on this page, and not too heavy or bulky.

I have a small and medium size. Small is ok for locking the rear wheel to the frame (as in the pic on the website), but a little short to put around a post etc. The medium covers most situations.

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:47 pm

Ive got a Knog Milkman, fits easy in a jersey pocket, retractable cable long enough to thread your helmet and bike through, but you could cut it with pliers if you wanted to.