Coloured road bike tyres

Mububban

Coloured road bike tyres

Postby Mububban » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:48 pm

I liked the idea of putting some orange Maxxis Re-Fuse tyres on my orange and black road bike when my current tyres wear out, but was told
The local supplier in Australia we use only stocks the colour refuse tyres in the 23 size.

Are there any other options for coloured tyres in 25c or 28c?

Also, how do you rate the Re-Fuse for an all round/commuting tyre?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Bunged Knee

Re: Coloured road bike tyres

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:34 am

No colour options for 25c or 28c, read the http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-256-re-fuse.

So do you want the orange 23c tyres from Letourcycles in ebay
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:45 am

Don't do it. The pigment compounds to make the colours negatively affect the grip of the tyres compared to the standard black versions of the same model.

The Re-Fuse, like most tyres of that ilk isn't the grippiest thing out there anyway, so I see no no point in further sacrificing grip for the sake of cosmetics. It is however a decently tough tyre.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:42 am

Duck! wrote:Don't do it. The pigment compounds to make the colours negatively affect the grip of the tyres compared to the standard black versions of the same model.

The Re-Fuse, like most tyres of that ilk isn't the grippiest thing out there anyway, so I see no no point in further sacrificing grip for the sake of cosmetics. It is however a decently tough tyre.
Abdolutely agree. I used to fit coloured tyres years ago but went back to black for the better grip, especially in the wet. I recall watching a rider lose grip and crash in the wet in front of me. He was using blue tyres but three others negotiated the same corner without a problem.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:45 am

Duck! wrote:Don't do it. The pigment compounds to make the colours negatively affect the grip of the tyres compared to the standard black versions of the same model.
^^^ This. Not worth it.

If the sidewalls were coloured I'd consider it but no way on the tread area.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:41 am

Are there any decent tyres with coloured sidewalls?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

edsa

Postby edsa » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:36 am

Michelins http://www.bikebug.com/michelin-pro4-se ... 62510.html but I dont think they come in orange.

li2099

Postby li2099 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:37 pm

Mububban wrote:Are there any decent tyres with coloured sidewalls?
Victoria makes decent colored side tyres although it's hard to keep it looking clean.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:57 pm

trailgumby wrote:
^^^ This. Not worth it.

If the sidewalls were coloured I'd consider it but no way on the tread area.
Don't know about duck (never met IRL) but I suspect there is a good reason you and I place more value on function than looks :wink:
Anything you can do, I can do slower