Time for some new cycling shoes

marty_one

Time for some new cycling shoes

Postby marty_one » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:22 am

Hi All,

Im hoping the collective mind might be able to help me out. As the title says I need some new cycling road shoes and for me its not as simple as trying on any old shoe and being ok with that. I have difficult to fit feet, the issue I have in particular is the knuckle on my big toes. they sit much higher than the majority of people, and I need arch support.

I have tried on a few different pairs already, found a brand called Lake which support my arches nicely. However there is not enough room for my toes (height wise). Looked at some specialized shoes today but couldn't really find anything that supported my feet and had enough room for my toes there either.

My current shoes are Shimano RO86, these are okay but the only have a solid plastic sole and flex around quiet a bit. So I'm looking for something with carbon sole, or something that is just stiffer. My budget range is between $200 and $300.

Update: I live in the south eastern suburbs of Melbourne and I am looking to buy local.

Thanks
Marty.
Last edited by marty_one on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

march83

Re: Time for some new cycling shoes

Postby march83 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:47 am

I don't have weird knuckles or anything, but I do require significant arch support. Firstly, I suggest you look at 3rd parties for arch support rather than using the manufacturer's innersoles or trying to pick a shoe exclusively based on its innersole.

Steve Hogg sells some stuff which is worth look at at - I use Sof Sole high arches in some of my shoes, though they aren't quite as high as i'd like them to be. My old esoles efits are my preferred option, but they don't seem to be available anymore :(

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:52 am

Have you considered a shoe with sufficient toe room, and then getting a podiatrist to make you an orthotic insert for arch support?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:52 am

Mububban wrote:Have you considered a shoe with sufficient toe room, and then getting a podiatrist to make you an orthotic insert for arch support?
I have considered that, but the price range of doing that on top of the shoes is way too much for my budget.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:04 pm

I have weird feet, and need the same sort of thing re the toebox. Shimano's in the Wide sizing were spot on. I got RC9's, bit exy, but think the RC7's may be in your range and not a lot of difference?

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:17 pm

If the Shimanos that you currently own fit OK, why not just get a better pair of Shimanos? They probably use the same last for the higher models so should fit the same.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:48 pm

Another vote for inserts.
Most shoes are fairly flat so you would go for ones that give you the toe room.
Cycling is in my BNA

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:26 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Another vote for inserts.
Most shoes are fairly flat so you would go for ones that give you the toe room.
+1 to that. A good adjustable one is the units they have at G8 Performance (on line and did a review of them for BNA and they are still going strong).

Look around for shoes at a variety of stores and look for the superseded models as sometimes they are at a really good discount.

Aim for quality

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:14 am

I have the G8 ones - heat mouldable and though I take them out of the cycling shoes after every single ride (to air) they are going well. I did try the click system but never got the right arch support. I can highly recommend the brand though... and it is Australian!
Cycling is in my BNA

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:51 am

Go and see Jason at Inspired Orthotic Solutions in Brighton; he's a podiatrist with a particular cycling focus.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi Guys, while I appreciate the advice of getting orthotics. They are just too expensive for me. The main requirement here is the toe box and being able to fit my big toes in without them rubbing on the top of the shoe. The arch support is something that I can easily fix without getting custom made stuff. However if I can find a pair of shoes that ticks both boxes that would be the best outcome for me.
fat and old wrote:I have weird feet, and need the same sort of thing re the toebox. Shimano's in the Wide sizing were spot on. I got RC9's, bit exy, but think the RC7's may be in your range and not a lot of difference?
I will have a look at those, hopefully they wont be too hard to track down a store that sells them locally to me.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:34 am

Most cycling shoes don’t have proper arch support so getting a good solution is after-market.

The G8 (if I recall) are available in both the cheaper click system and the pricier heat mould. If the click system fits... thats the ine to go for. It is possible to do it without a professional...

Generally I would go for cheaper shoes with a good insert than more expensive shoes with a substandard insert (support). Unless you are highly competitive on the bike, with an affordable show and insert you can tick the boxes for budget and for comfort and performance.
Cycling is in my BNA

march83

Postby march83 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:32 am

Exactly - if you need any more than modest arch support a standard insole isn't going to cut it. Working with OP's $300 budget it's simple enough to get sofsoles and some good mid range shoes. It's night and day between riding crappy, unsupporting shoes VS shoes which properly support.

g8s are exxy though - i miss efits. Does anyone know of a middle ground between the sofsoles and the g8s? I wish I had just a tiny bit more support but I don't want to pay $120 for G8s to get it.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:36 am

There are two levels of the G8 available.

They have lasted me 2+ years so far and are still going well and work in all of my shoes.

open roader

Postby open roader » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:15 pm

My Sidi Wire and Sidi Genius 5 shoes are transformed with the addition of a pair of Superfeet Black insoles (cost circa $50)

I'd be looking to save $$ by purchasing a cheaper pair of shoes with adequate sole stiffness and fork out for some quality insoles.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:32 pm

Had a change to look at G8 Performance

$95 1800 series (click)

$139 - 2620 series (click)

$85 - Ignite (heat mould)

The heat mouldable cost less than I paid, I think they have come down in price. The others simples didn't give me the right position for arch support while the ignite could mould into place.

$150 - $200 for shoes will get you a fairly good pair, along with the insert (this brand or another suitable one) and you are ahead of the game.
Cycling is in my BNA

aive

Postby aive » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:13 pm

I got the giro adjustable insoles and they’ve served me well and were cheap. Example link: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/giro ... static-kit

I bought from wiggle I think...

The arch support you can achieve is great.

I also modified them by taping on slices of my old insole to increase the height in other areas such as the outer edge of my toes.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:25 am

I just purchased the specialized foot beds...was NZ$60
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:40 pm

I use the Specialized footbeds too, have been fine for the last 4 years. :) Cheap too. Shoes I cant help you with.

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:52 am

RobertL wrote:If the Shimanos that you currently own fit OK, why not just get a better pair of Shimanos? They probably use the same last for the higher models so should fit the same.

I just did that, not my wisest decision. Had some cheaper Shimano velcro strap ones though not sure the name/model. A size 45 fit snug as a bug so got some RC7’s with boa in the same size 45 and just cant get on with them. The toe box is too big and strap over the toes make no difference because the upper is so stiff. Had to resort to thicker sox which in summer isn’t the best thing to experience

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:35 pm

Jawa wrote:
RobertL wrote:If the Shimanos that you currently own fit OK, why not just get a better pair of Shimanos? They probably use the same last for the higher models so should fit the same.

I just did that, not my wisest decision. Had some cheaper Shimano velcro strap ones though not sure the name/model. A size 45 fit snug as a bug so got some RC7’s with boa in the same size 45 and just cant get on with them. The toe box is too big and strap over the toes make no difference because the upper is so stiff. Had to resort to thicker sox which in summer isn’t the best thing to experience

Bummer!