Is this a good deal?

ryangus

Is this a good deal?

Postby ryangus » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:43 pm

https://www.avantiplus.com.au/products/ ... ntain-bike

For my wife and daughter (age 10) for everyday cycling, and basic offload use.

If not, any other recommendations for a similar spec bike or money?

Mububban

Re: Is this a good deal?

Postby Mububban » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:11 am

Assuming your daughter is tall enough to safely control the x-small, I'd say it's a perfectly good bike for what you want. I bought a men's Avanti Montari in ~2003 and it's still in good condition (although it's had a fairly gentle life) :)
Last edited by Mububban on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:23 pm

The low-point in the spec list is the fork, but at that price point you're not going to get anything moderately decent anywhere, and it's no worse than you'll find anywhere else at that level. The problem is that coil springs aren't that tuneable for rider weight, and although manufacturers/assemblers often spec a softer spring in the forks on their smaller-framed bikes, they're often still too firm for lighter riders, and uncontrolled in general, which makes for a pretty rough ride when taken off-road .

Aside from that, you could do a lot worse. Avanti frames as far as I know are built in Taiwan by Merida (the second-largest frame manufacturer in the world behind Giant), so have some pretty solid engineering behind them.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

ryangus

Postby ryangus » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback.