Teen Bike

Sammizaz

Teen Bike

Postby Sammizaz » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:00 pm

Hey everyone,
Just after some advice about purchasing a new bike for my 12 year old. He wants a mountain bike and has mentioned the Giant brand.
I have decided to get him a bike as a graduation surprise gift but I have no idea where to begin!
I will add he is a tall boy for his age (taller than me!), not sure of exact height maybe 170cm.
I don’t want to spend an arm and a leg and it doesn’t have to be the Giant brand if there is something more suitable. We live in the suburbs and the bike will just be used for riding around the area to mates houses etc.

Looking forward to your responses. Thankyou

MattyK

Re: Teen Bike

Postby MattyK » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:35 pm

My thoughts: Assuming it's in your budget, I'd say get what he asks for. It might not be the most appropriate (eg a bike with slicker tyres and no suspension would probably be better everywhere except when actually mountain biking). But that's not the point. He will have something cool to show off to his mates, and he will think you're awesome for listening/caring.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:44 pm

What is your budget? That will make a big difference as to what you end up with. If the budget is $5-600 then you get a basic, decent quality bicycle. Go into a local bike shop and purchase the one in your sons favourite colour, at that budget there won't be a lot of choice or difference between brands. If the budget is much more than that then things start getting a bit more complex as there are all different styles of mountain bike suited for different riding styles. Suspension, geometry, features etc.

Second hand is always a good option, but it helps if you know what you are on about to be able to pick up something decent. I was able to get a pretty decent looking bike for my 12yo son for about $80 and then spent some more on parts to dress it up a bit. It is a basic Norco that probably cost $5-600 new. He won't get a flash bike until he stops growing, but he can have hand me down parts to upgrade it along the way - the advantage of a father that likes to upgrade his gear.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:19 pm

Giant is very reliable so you have a trusted brand and generally at Giant stores, the staff are good.

Set an upper limit and take your son with you into the store. A surprise is nice, but even better is taking the time to go with him and spend the time to get exactly what he wants in the size that fits.

The surprise is in the announcement and joy in the shopping.
Cycling is in my BNA

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:01 pm

Sammizaz wrote:Hey everyone,
Just after some advice about purchasing a new bike for my 12 year old. He wants a mountain bike and has mentioned the Giant brand.
I have decided to get him a bike as a graduation surprise gift but I have no idea where to begin!
I will add he is a tall boy for his age (taller than me!), not sure of exact height maybe 170cm.
I don’t want to spend an arm and a leg and it doesn’t have to be the Giant brand if there is something more suitable. We live in the suburbs and the bike will just be used for riding around the area to mates houses etc.

Looking forward to your responses. Thankyou
AUbicycles wrote:Set an upper limit and take your son with you into the store. A surprise is nice, but even better is taking the time to go with him and spend the time to get exactly what he wants in the size that fits.

The surprise is in the announcement and joy in the shopping.

I agree, letting your son have input into the buying decision (with a firm price cap of course!) will make him even prouder to ride it. You definitely don't want to buy the wrong bike (in his opinion) and he hates it and never rides it!

I imagine he'll only have it for a couple of years though before needing the next size up if he keeps growing, but you can always sell a good kids bike for about half what you paid for it if it's in good condition.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!