Local warranty support for a bike bought interstate

bychosis

Local warranty support for a bike bought interstate

Postby bychosis » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:38 pm

I'm looking at buying a new Trek MTB. I really considered second hand to save $, but considering my last ride cracked and my previous one probably should have been replaced under warranty have decided new with warranty is betterer.

I have seen a particular model from an interstate shop, they aren't keen to ship, but may be able to arrange a personal delivery due to a coinciding business trip.

Has anyone had any dramas with claiming warranty with a bike purchased from a location far from home, particularly with Trek? Ideally I'd take it back to a local bike shop (Trek dealer) for the warranty stuff rather than ship it back to the original place of purchase. Shipping would kinda negate the savings to be had by purchasing from afar in the first place. I'm not a big LBS user, preferring my own wrenching and online parts savings. I haven't purchased a new bike in over 15 years.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Ross

Re: Local warranty support for a bike bought interstate

Postby Ross » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:03 pm

Yes, but not Trek. Specialized. A mate bought a Tarmac frame from a store in Melbourne and had it assermbled by a bike mechanic mutual friend using components he bought online from various places (mainly UK) and a few months later while cleaning it a crack or paint defect was spotted. So he took the bike (or maybe just the frame, I can't recall now) to local Canberra Specialized shop and they ended up replacing the frame under warranty.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:07 pm

I just remembered another guy I know had an old alloy Trek road bike frame that was from the 90s I think and it cracked and he took it back to Trek shop and it was replaced under warranty with a new carbon frame (because alloy NLA). Not sure if it was same shop he bought it from in the first place.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:37 pm

I can't see why you would have any issue, what if you bought a bike, then had to move interstate (job whatever)? You have bike from whatever brand, you take it to nearest store that deals with that brand, there you go. It should be national/international, interstate shouldn't be an issue.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:10 pm

It really shouldn't matter. I had to do a warranty on a Cervelo, and the shop I bought it from was no longer operating. I just took it to another Cervelo dealer and they sorted it out no issues
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:00 am

As far as replacement of any bits covered by warranty, any dealer of that brand of bike can process and handle the claim, but your LBS is under no obligation to cover any labour costs on a bike purchased elsewhere. The bike brand's distributor may cover it, but this should be accepted as a bonus, not an automatic thing.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.