I HATE BB standards !!! Grrrrrr

MichaelB

Re: I HATE BB standards !!! Grrrrrr

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:42 am

Hi Paddles - it depends on what press fit B.B. you have, but in the end, there are plenty of options out there that are limited only by your wallet and what you deem to be important (cost, drag, colour, country of supply etc)

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:19 am

The crankset info says BB386EVO, but the Merida info says BB86 are they just one and the same? The wallet is a limiting factor but it's on an gravel type bike (Silex) and I'm no racer so drag isn't that much of an issue :mrgreen:

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:14 pm

BB86 and BB386 are NOT ths same. Both have an 86mm wide shell, but 386 has a larger bore to accommodate cranks with a 30mm spindle. BB86 is designed for 24mm spindles. However Rotor and maybe others do produce a bottom bracket with low-profile bearings that allows a BB386 crank to fit in a BB86 frame.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:14 pm

Duck! wrote:BB86 and BB386 are NOT ths same. Both have an 86mm wide shell, but 386 has a larger bore to accommodate cranks with a 30mm spindle. BB86 is designed for 24mm spindles. However Rotor and maybe others do produce a bottom bracket with low-profile bearings that allows a BB386 crank to fit in a BB86 frame.

And that leads to problems of another nature as well. Smaller profile bearings by their nature have smaller 'balls' (hope that comes out right .... :wink: ) which then tend to have a shorter life.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:17 pm

Thanks gents, I reckon I'll wait till it gets really annoying and then check the spindle diameter before replacing. The Gossamer website reckons 30mm for the crankset so I'm suss on the Merida info.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:13 pm

And here I am again ....

JRA (no, really !!) and felt something odd as I was pedalling along, getting me out of my annoyance and planning on what to do with the new creaking saddle ...

After some looking, thinking, head scratching and several attempts to sort it out. Noticed something on the DS dropout.

Couldn't be. :o A crack :shock: :evil:

Yep. DS dropout fully cracked through. 11 months and 5,736km later, the Kinesis 4S Disc frameset dead.

PFBB.

Contacted Pushys and sent email re warranty.

Pending their response, may be redoing that or building the Volagi Liscio again ....

NOT. HAPPY. JAN.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:48 pm

I'm trying really hard but failing to see what relevance a broken dropout has to bottom bracket formats.... :(
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:34 am

Duck! wrote:I'm trying really hard but failing to see what relevance a broken dropout has to bottom bracket formats.... :(

Because of the frame with the broken dropout (whilst I wait for the outcome of warranty replacement discussions with Pushys/Kinesis supplier), now will look to using the BB30 frame (Volagi Liscio) in shed to build up, and hence on the hunt for a BB for a 386EVO crank in a BB30 frame (original intent for this thread).

Any experience with either Tripeak Or Enduro Torqtite screw together adaptors ?

Can get either from DIYMTB, but Tripeak is $145 for steel bearings and Enduro is $265 for SS bearings. Both are screw together, but is the Enduro $120 better ?

EDIT : Reworded the reply to make more sense :D