Airless bicycle tyres?

robbiepapenfus

Airless bicycle tyres?

Postby robbiepapenfus » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:47 am

Hi All,

I currently have a full carbon fibre road bike ( 700 x 25 ). I was wondering if I can get airless tyres fitted (or if they even exist for road bikes)?

I remember as a kid having a BMX with airless tyres which was great as i never got punctures, although it was slightly heavier.

Cheers,
Robbie

find_bruce

Re: Airless bicycle tyres?

Postby find_bruce » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:26 am

Airless tyres are one of the horsemen of the cycling apocalypse. The are much more than slightly heavier nor are they effective - there are very good reasons pneumatic tyres replaced cart wheels.

If punctures concern you, get some heavy duty tyres, such as schwalbe marathon plus - I use them on my commutes & last puncture was more than 2 years ago
Anything you can do, I can do slower

djw47

Postby djw47 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:29 am

Are you talking solid rubber on your rims? I can't even begin to imagine how uncomfortable that would be to ride on, not to mention the weight. Why buy a lightweight carbon bike and then weigh it down with 2kg of rubber?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:11 am

robbiepapenfus wrote:Hi All,

I currently have a full carbon fibre road bike ( 700 x 25 ). I was wondering if I can get airless tyres fitted (or if they even exist for road bikes)?

I remember as a kid having a BMX with airless tyres which was great as i never got punctures, although it was slightly heavier.

Cheers,
Robbie
I would suggest instead to use some Mr Tuffy liners in the tyre. They won't stop all punctures, but they will prevent quite a lot of them.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:41 am

Better off going with schwalbe marathons and filling it with nitrogen.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:54 pm

Calvin27 wrote:Better off going with schwalbe marathons and filling it with nitrogen.
And sealant.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:05 pm

http://www.tannus.com.au/

I think there was threads on here a long time ago about them, they are more aimed at commuters than roadies.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:33 pm

g-boaf wrote:
robbiepapenfus wrote:Hi All,

Cheers,
Robbie
I would suggest instead to use some Mr Tuffy liners in the tyre. They won't stop all punctures, but they will prevent quite a lot of them.
Plus one. Running mr tuffys in my road tyres. Only had a few (2-5) flats since installing them a couple of years ago. At least one was a pinch flat, another was rim tape failure.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:48 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Calvin27 wrote:Better off going with schwalbe marathons and filling it with nitrogen.
And sealant.
Does sealant seal work with nitrogen filled?
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:36 pm

Saw these on Twitter, don't have any info on them, just a pic

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:10 pm

^^ Might be from Ever Tyres???
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:42 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:^^ Might be from Ever Tyres???
However, according to the Nexo FAQs, the ‘rolling resistance is roughly 15-20% more than traditional pneumatic tires, meaning that the rider will experience the same level of fatigue at a distance of 80km as riders on pneumatic tires traveling a distance of
surely thats only if 100% of the effort is to overcome rolling resistance ... which it isn't.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:11 am

Michael did a really good look at Tannus tyres for BNA.

This is the of Tannus tyres, asking if they are a genuine option.

At that stage it was not a genuine alternative. I spoke to Tannus at Eurobike specifically about the performance and they gave me some tyres but I didn't want to take them - firstly because I would have to lug them about (and was also travelling by bike) plus I wasn't convinced.

A Ukrainian junior road cycling team was using them and the logic was that there are less punctures and the support car doesn't have to keep on picking up the juniors with punctures. But there was a direct performance effect which was acknowledged but argued that not as bad as I suggested it was.

The reality is that you also get handling issues and grip issues - the foam compound is smoother and just doesn't have the grip of rubber. For example in wet weather you need to be particularly careful and the ability of the sponge tyres to soak water would significantly affect the ride and grip.

For slow speed commuting there are more merits. Many years ago I rode around Copenhagen on a hard (solid) tyred share bike... very nasty ride but also practical because you don't get punctures. For your road bike... stay curious, but the time is not yet ripe in my view.
Cycling is in my BNA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:09 am

I used foam tyres when racing R/C on-road cars at state and national level for about 20 years. As soon as the track gets any hint of moisture it's like trying to drive the cars on ice (edit: the frozen water kind :lol: ).

A very bad idea for bicycle tyres.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:43 am

Calvin27 wrote:
Thoglette wrote:
And sealant.
Does sealant seal work with nitrogen filled?
Works with my mix of 80% nitrogen 16% oxygen and a smattering of other things. :-)

Less flippantly, sealant "works" when it gets out of the tyre/tube and meets normal "air". Somewhere hereabouts there's a thread on touring/bikepacking tyres and someone (@aushiker?) posted a picture of their tyre which looked more like an orange pomander* than a tyre thanks to all the double-gees/caltrops/goat's head

If you are getting lots of wire/glass/goat's head punctures then sealant works. Big holes, not so good. Road tubeless seems to remain a challenge if you're inflating over 100psi, requiring matched components and/or a pile of luck.

There are those who swear by the various puncture proof belts which have become popular (e.g. Maaxis refuse as the cheaper chicken)

Ps, depending on your weight, dropping tyre pressure can reduce punctures (as there's less pressure to drive that bit of glass into the tyre). It does increase the risk of snakebite punctures - you need to strike a balance.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:39 pm

Christopher beat me to it re the Tannus tyres. I tried to like them, but in reality, for any half decent road riding, they are not quite there.

The biggest downside was the higher rolling resistance and the lack of apparent grip.

I’d rather put up with the odd puncture.

As pointed out by others, there are better ways to get around punctures.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:31 pm

All I can say about airless tyres is "don't do it".
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:40 pm

Another sealant supporter.

Around here it's impossible to get to work without it, especially at grape harvest time

uart

Postby uart » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:32 pm

eeksll wrote:
Bunged Knee wrote:^^ Might be from Ever Tyres???
However, according to the Nexo FAQs, the ‘rolling resistance is roughly 15-20% more than traditional pneumatic tires, meaning that the rider will experience the same level of fatigue at a distance of 80km as riders on pneumatic tires traveling a distance of
surely thats only if 100% of the effort is to overcome rolling resistance ... which it isn't.
Yes but what tyre is it roughly 15 to 20% more than? The manufactures are not going to compare it to a high performance tyre, because they don't want to results to be 200-300% more, obviously they' like to quote a lower performance penalty. So presumable it is compared to the worst performance heavy touring or mountain bike tyre out there, so probably something like a 40W RR tyre (as compared under the speed and conditions used at something like "bicyclerollingresistance.com" : https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/mtb-reviews

So perhaps 20% more than 40 Watts per tyre, perhaps about 45 to 50 Watts per tyre compared with 15 Watts for an even half decent performance tyre. So in reality, 200% more.

That's the problem with manufacturer claims of "percent more" or "percent less", they often don't clearly state what they're comparing with. Even if it was only 0% more (than the heaviest shittiest pneumatic tyre out there) it probably still would not be the tyre for me.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:56 pm

Cardy George wrote:especially at grape harvest time
:shock: Grapes? :shock:

Or is "bogan glitter" the problem.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:33 pm

Tubular tyres? No one has mentioned them. Run with sealant and low pressures, get a lot less punctures
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:04 pm

Duck! wrote:All I can say about airless tyres is "don't do it".
I recall trying these tannus tyres around 4yrs ago or so, when they started getting media coverage.
I have never been so scared on a bike, woeful handling, felt dead and disconnected from the road, zero road feeling and feedback, so much rolling resistance and going around corners was frightening as they didn't confirm as you'd expect and feel, they gave the sense they were going to roll off the rim.

They were promptly removed.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:41 pm

Strawburger wrote:Tubular tyres? No one has mentioned them. Run with sealant and low pressures, get a lot less punctures
OP was asking about airless, which is diametrically opposed to the tubular experience.

That question lead me to believe that the OP was, perhaps, one of these rare people who actually gets lots of punctures.

If it's an occasional puncture or fear of punctures then your suggestion is valid. In which case, the OP should read the Introduction to tubular

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:04 am

Crawf wrote:
They were promptly removed.
And that wasn’t easy either !!!

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:15 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Cardy George wrote:especially at grape harvest time
:shock: Grapes? :shock:

Or is "bogan glitter" the problem.
Bogan Glitter appears around August as the local footy season wraps up. Late Jan early Feb is wine grape harvest season up here (Mildura region). All the pickers/tractors/B-Doubles drag all the three corner jacks off the blocks and spread them down ALL the roads.

So, yeah, sealant all year round is the go for me