Need help deciding which bike to get

allanchau

Need help deciding which bike to get

Postby allanchau » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:53 am

I'm currently tossing up between a Vantage Endurance 3.0 Disc or Focus Cayo Disc 105 2017.

I only ride maybe 50kms on flat roads but eventually plan on making it up the Adelaide Hills :lol:

Which one would be more suitable? The Reid seems like too good of a value to ignore, but I can get a full kit with the Focus.

Thanks,
Allan

andrewjcw

Re: Need help deciding which bike to get

Postby andrewjcw » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:12 pm

No big brand will be able to compete with Reid on value. Even so, not many people buy them and it's rare to see a quality bike bought from reid. Take from that what you will. Seeing as you've only listed two bikes so far very far apart in price I might suggest having a good look around local shops and seeing what's on offer. Always good to have a look at what you get for the money from Giant/Trek and other mainstream brands before you get more exotic. If you're comfortable buying direct maybe Canyon would interest you too as a more premium direct to consumer model.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:09 pm

Have you test ridden them? Getting a right size/frame/fit is probably the most important bit.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:27 pm

allanchau wrote:I'm currently tossing up between a Vantage Endurance 3.0 Disc or Focus Cayo Disc 105 2017.

I only ride maybe 50kms on flat roads but eventually plan on making it up the Adelaide Hills :lol:

Which one would be more suitable? The Reid seems like too good of a value to ignore, but I can get a full kit with the Focus.

Thanks,
Allan

How fit and strong are you?

The Reid has much easier gearing for hill climbs (50-34 on the front and 11-32 on the back can get you up the Swiss Alps), whereas the Focus has 52-36 on the front and 11-28 on the back. Not a problem on the flats, but not so easy in the hills unless you've got good fitness and power (which I do not!). Gears are easily changed but it's something to consider. Shops sometimes will swap gearing for free before it leaves the shop, but not after.

Personally, knowing how much upgraditis can bite, I'd spend the extra $800 on the Focus - better brand, top engineering, carbon frame, slightly racier geometry but not overly so, and nothing much to upgrade. The Reid looks to be a very good bike, but the Cayo seems even better imo.

Reid review - https://www.bikemag.com.au/gallery/test ... -30-466803

Focus review - http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/gear/c ... -15-49312/
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!