New bike for commute and around town

jalva

New bike for commute and around town

Postby jalva » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:01 am

Hi experts,

I used to commute to office on a cheap cycle a few years ago when I was living closer (8km). Now the bug is biting again to try it out but I am now around 20kms away (Blackburn to Melbourne CBD - route suggestions welcome). Dont have a cycle and need advice for buying one.

I would be carrying my laptop bag and change of clothes so need to have racks. I have shower and safe parking at office. I am looking at a light workout and not necessarily the fastest possible speed.

Did a lot of research online, including on this forum. Overall, the best deal I am able to find is:
http://iamfree.com/bicycles/belt-driven ... moly-frame
$475 for what seems like the least hassle money can buy with disc brakes (must have for all weather commute), internal gears, belt drive and plenty of mounting options. Cant find many reviews outside their own site and facebook page. I am assuming the components are chosen to allow years of riding with very little maintenance.

Questions:
- Am I missing anything to watch out for when looking at this cycle. There are too many unknowns for me
- Is the 3 gears with 158% ratio enough for Melbourne riding or should I only look at 7 or more gears
- Any one had direct experience either with this bike or its components

My other option is to pay more for a more conventional choice like:
https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/2018- ... muter-bike

I can also pick a used trusted brand from gumtree for $200-400 and then see if I actually commute :)

I am not an expert at bikes but I am handy and not afraid of learning to maintain/fix derailleurs, chains etc. if that makes more sense. Anything I buy, I will do a few mods and additions.

Ideally I would like to spend as little as possible, but looking at $200 for used to $1000 for the holy grail price range.

Thanks!

10speedsemiracer

Re: New bike for commute and around town

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:10 pm

Even just reading the blurb gives me the willies, and the Shimano Nexus 3sp has massive steps between ratios, to the point where 3rd is almost unusable unless gravity-assisted. Essentially becomes a 2sp bike. Personally I'd be looking at way more gears, and <$500 for a disc-braked bike with an internal gear hub begs the question, where are the compromises. Don't know these bikes in particular but feels very much like a Samson Commuter (they're in Brunswick) and very much a case of built down to a price point. Will be very heavy.

Is $500 your budget ?Getting a quality bike with discs for <$500 will be a challenge.

Maybe a pre-loved bike from a, umm, more reputable source would be appropriate.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:24 pm

The Polygon you've linked would be a much better option, although you don't necessarily suspension as there is a bike path for most of the way in.

Maybe https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/2017- ... -city-bike this Polygon would be a better option. Rigid fork, and hydraulic discs (Shimano) as well as Shimano driveline, decent for the price.

Believe the two options for routes into the CBD are the Eastern Freeway trail, which you could join somewhere around Blackburn North, or the Gardiners Creek Trail, which you could join around Middleborough Rd Blackburn South. Imagine it depends on whereabouts in Blackburn you start from.

I'm sure there are guys/girls on the forum who do this route daily and can advise further and be more current, I've since moved from Blackburn (sadly).

jalva

Postby jalva » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:45 pm

Thanks a lot for your advice. The firtzroy store is selling too much for too less. Without reviews, its difficult to go for it.I will shop around but probably pick a trusted brand from gumtree first to see how it goes before investing further.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:37 pm

Second hand option sounds good for a try out. Also, many bikes are bought and barely ridden, must be a bargain out there somewhere. Any relatives/friends with a bike they no longer use or need? You could arrange a long term loan.

I commute about 20KM each way and for someone starting I would suggest a flat bar roady. No useless suspension to carry around, unless you are planning some gravel rides. If you are going to commute in all weather get mudguards, don't even think about it, just get mudguards. I way prefer a pannier - let the bike carry your gear rather than you carrying it on your back, you know it makes sense ;) I prefer derailleur gears, more gears and easy to fix, that said, internal hub gears are meant to be very reliable so fixing gears is seldom an issue.

Should be many bikes out there at a decent price which fits the bill, especially in post chrissy sales. I understand disc brakes are great but I must say I've never had issues with V brakes and I ride in any conditions, mainly on the roads with traffic.

Good luck, cycling is the only way to get to work.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:45 pm

A secondhand Kona Dew or Fuji Absolute, or something along those lines would do nicely. Or something like this Avanti Blade, although think he's being a bit ambitious at $250.https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/blackbu ... 1169842761.

I think for the first bike, maybe regard disc brakes as a 'nice-to-have' but don't discount an otherwise appropriate bike if it didn't have discs.

jalva

Postby jalva » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:36 pm

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Looks like gumtree is the way to go. I see a few Giant OCR in the $200-400 price range. Sounds like a good buy for a 40km round commute?

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:19 pm

Giant OCR is a nice bike but completely different to what was being considered at the beginning. Will be a quicker commute, but may even trip over a Giant Defy within your budget. Nice bikes, probably best to avoid the road triple crankset if possible. Nothing wrong with them, but finding bits is getting a bit difficult.

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:38 am

jalva wrote:Thanks a lot for your advice. The firtzroy store is selling too much for too less. Without reviews, its difficult to go for it.I will shop around but probably pick a trusted brand from gumtree first to see how it goes before investing further.
Don't think its too much. While the components seems good (the belt drive might be belt, but I imagine on the really cheap end since they offer standard chain for not much less), the only real $$$ bit are the hub and the brakes. The frame I imagine will be heavy as and wheels generic. Also remember that they only comes in the one size, and one size only, so less inventory for them to carry.

To me, they are very competitively priced, but not outrageously so. Frankly, they have to be, Reid, Cell, Samson are right on their door steps.