Cycling Computer that alarms based on Power Levels

defy1

Cycling Computer that alarms based on Power Levels

Postby defy1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:32 am

After many years on a Magellan Cyclo, I am looking for a new cycling GPS computer. One feature that I am interested in, that I have not been able to find so far, is the ability to set some kind of minimum power level threshold, such that it sets an alarm/beep if you drop below it during a ride (obviously only when in motion, possibly only cadence is above zero). The reason is when I ride I find myself slacking off power wise sometimes and want to force myself to push a consistent watts throughout the whole ride,
and also I don't want to be constantly looking down at the screen to know what my power level is at.
Anyone know if something like this exists?

sir_camel

Re: Cycling Computer that alarms based on Power Levels

Postby sir_camel » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:36 am

Pretty sure my Wahoo Elemnt has functionality to use the LED bars to signal power levels. I don't have a power meter so no direct experience but have used it for Heart Rate and Speed vs Average. I think the other setting is for Power. A bit of a half answer but something worth looking into further.
2011 Scott CR1
2013 Kona Paddywagon

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:06 am

Just make sure you mute it if you plan to ride with anyone else!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:20 am

I guess the Garmin Edge whatever number should do this, but the beeping might drive you a bit nuts, along with the popup in the middle of the screen that obscures everything else.

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:29 am

Garmin edge you can set Max and Min warnings/alarms for Power, HR and Candace.
Roadie: Merida Scultura Team 2017 with SpeedPlay pedals
MTB: TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:13 pm

Yep, my Garmin Edge 520 can do this - I reckon you'd be sick of the beeping after a very short while...
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares CX & Ridley Noah-R Team

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:31 pm

sir_camel wrote:Pretty sure my Wahoo Elemnt has functionality to use the LED bars to signal power levels. I don't have a power meter so no direct experience but have used it for Heart Rate and Speed vs Average. I think the other setting is for Power. A bit of a half answer but something worth looking into further.

Yes you can do this (and the leds are colour coded for the zones as well) and pretty sure that you can turn of the audible bits as well.

I have the Bolt and haven't yet set it up, but may do it for the BUPA stage and see how it goes. With the Wahoo Bolt, it's easy to reconfigure mid ride if you want via the phone app.

No idea re the Garmin though.