Single Speed reeommendations

superspeedy

Single Speed reeommendations

Postby superspeedy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:35 pm

Hi all, first post, don't hurt me.

My Avanti 30 speed commuter needs a new wheel (urgently) and a bunch of other parts, on top of generally being a flogged 5 year old bike.

I'm sold on getting a single speed to replace it, rather than drop the cash on repairs. I left the Avanti in a single gear for a month or so a while back to test and had no dramas.

I like the idea of a lighter bike with possibly better components and lower maintenance for similar money.

As I need my new wheels real soon, the idea of building something or picking up a peach from gumtree won't work, as I don't have the time.

I'm Melbourne based. So on a budget of a $1,000 ($1,500 if I get carried away), what assembled single speed do you recommend for this 187cm 85kg bloke? I've looked at some Just Ride It stuff, but I've read some ordinary things online about their own branded gear (all flash and no substance - not sure if actually true)and Chapelli (cheap?).

Cheers for any thoughts.

10speedsemiracer

Re: Single Speed reeommendations

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:05 pm

How about a Kona Paddy Wagon :

Has an OK mix of components, Reynolds tubing (520), ok wheels and flip flop hub. Conti 28mm tyres as standard though which is better than most others which have Kenda garbage for some reason (cheap?).

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/fixie ... /102999430
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:09 pm

Or a Fuji Feather if you wanted drops:

and this also has an ok mix of stuff, lots of spokes, Vittoria Zaffiro's in 25mm (I like Zaffiro's) and a 46-16t driveline (flip-flop).

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/fixie ... /102847029

superspeedy

Postby superspeedy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:14 pm

Cheers, for those, I have seen them online. I should have mentioned that I am thinking aluminium rather than steel for weight.

But most off the shelf single speeds seem to be steel.

Am guessing this is overpriced? https://www.justrideit.com.au/collectio ... 2017-model
Last edited by superspeedy on Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:14 pm

Tripped over this Azzurri, apparently a NOS 2013 bike with Cr-Mo frame etc etc. Spec is a bit on the cheap side but seems to be functional enough. OK weight for a steel-framed fixie/ss.

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/fixie ... /102555664

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:25 pm

superspeedy wrote:Cheers, for those, I have seen them online. I should have mentioned that I am thinking aluminium rather than steel for weight.

But most off the shelf single speeds seem to be steel.

Am guessing this is overpriced? https://www.justrideit.com.au/collectio ... 2017-model
Oh, sorry, everything I'd recommended was steel-based.
The JRI bike, as you rightly thought, is overpriced for what it is, which is a a bunch of entry-level generic components screwed onto a no-name frame.
Fairly sure Scott do an alloy s/s.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:29 pm

I wouldn't worry about the extra weight of steel, assuming you get a decent butted frame and not a gaspipe hi-tensile steel one. From most accounts it will be a nicer ride. I haven't been able to tell the difference really, but don't have a fleet of road bikes to compare. I think they also look better with slimmer tubes.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:30 pm

Specialized Langster or Giant Omnium are aluminium and should fall in your budget (depending on model.)

I think Avanti Pista are aluminium...or they used to be.

I know you don't have the time, but here's a second hand Cinelli Vigorelli that falls within your budget: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fitzroy ... 1167461936 (probably too small for you.)

Cannondale Capo would be good...if you can find one.

I'd avoid Just Ride It and Chapelli. Mind you, I think Chapelli are getting better. [citation needed.]

superspeedy

Postby superspeedy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:55 pm

Ahh damn, if only that Cinelli was larger. Only a few kms from me.

I have an Avanti shop nearby - will go check out that model. Can't see a Canondale Capo for sale anywhere...thanks for the tips.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:57 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:How about a Kona Paddy Wagon :

Has an OK mix of components, Reynolds tubing (520), ok wheels and flip flop hub. Conti 28mm tyres as standard though which is better than most others which have Kenda garbage for some reason (cheap?).

I saw Reynolds tubing and thought "bull$h!t" - but you're right, the 2017 model had Reynolds tubing, who knew? I've been riding a Paddywagon since 2009, great bike.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:02 pm

P!N20 wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:How about a Kona Paddy Wagon :

I saw Reynolds tubing and thought "bull$h!t" - but you're right, the 2017 model had Reynolds tubing, who knew? I've been riding a Paddywagon since 2009, great bike.
Am a bit of a Kona fan for stuff like commuting. I like their frames, and level of finish at that price point.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:20 pm

superspeedy

Postby superspeedy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:21 pm

Am warming to the option of steel, given the limited choice in aluminium. Will check out that Kona and possibly also a Surly Steamroller.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:49 pm

Forgot about the Surly bikes, but also didn't think would fit into the budget.
Velo in Carlton have them. Nice bunch of people in there.

Nice looking bike but I think the Kona and/or the Fuji represent better bang-for-buck.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:05 pm

Jamis had the Sputnik which was a good ss commuters, Soma Rush would work if you can go steel. On-One Pompino? Used one as a commuter for a few years solid but not fancy fun to ride bikes. 42/18 worked okay in Sydney hills.
Now use a drop bar Salsa El Mariachi 29er with a ebb at 36/18 and just don't rush about. Wont change now as is my ideal on and off road simple bike.
I have an all city macho man which has surprised me in the quality, way it rides vs the price and would go another from that brand. They do a few very nice ss cx bikes (older version of the Nature Boy 853 in the green was quite a bike).
FWIW I like an ebb and not so much horizontal drop outs if you are thinking disc brakes. Some of the niners which can take an niner ebb means you can get a good multi purpose bike which can go from ss to gears and back to ss.
Oh and I built up a cell single speed frame for the daughter with shed bits but very fancy wheels and the end result was a bike which does what it should do - a good cheap way to test if you really are a ss sort of person.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:42 am

I do have a Curve Grovel frameset for sale which I could put back to a single speed easy enough... would just need to work out getting it to Melbourne
(Photo when it was first built as a single speed)
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:21 pm

I really like the look of Yes Bikes, but they only do a 56cm frame. Might squeeze on it with a long stem.
Aluminium frame, carbon fork, not an anchor, good review (on singlespeedgoldcoast which is now defunct...).
http://www.yesbikes.com.au/

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:47 am

P!N20 wrote:Mind you, I think Chapelli are getting better. [citation needed.]
I picked up a cheap and stylish fixie from Chapelli - it's become my dead set favourite bike for all short trips and errands around town. I'd ride it every day but it keeps getting borrowed by family because of the good looks.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:37 am

^ Good to hear. I remember when they first hit the market the workmanship was just terrible - gaps in the welds, misaligned frames, etc. I was having a look at one in the work bike cage recently and the level of finish was quite impressive.