Mountain or hybrid bike for around $600

arkaz

Mountain or hybrid bike for around $600

Postby arkaz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:04 am

Looking to buy a decent mountain bike for around $600. Also wouldnt mind a hybrid bike.
Looking for one with disk brakes, good parts.
So far i have found Reid's Xenon 29 and Gaint's ATX1. Which would be the best from these two.
This will be my first bike purchase, so don't know much about bikes, but would love to learn. :D
Last edited by arkaz on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trailgumby

Re: Mountain bike for around $600

Postby trailgumby » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:33 pm

For a hardtail mountain bike, 29ers are the go-to wheel size. They roll faster and are more forgiving of beginner mistakes.

bychosis

Re: Mountain bike for around $600

Postby bychosis » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:21 pm

Where are you planning go to ride? What terrain etc.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

arkaz

Re: Mountain or hybrid bike for around $600

Postby arkaz » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:09 pm

Thanks for your replies.

Yes I guess 29ers is the size i was most likely to go with.

Since the time of my post, i've come across a change of mind. Mainly looking for a entry level hybrid. So I wish to ride on grass or gravel, but also would like something thats good on road too.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:59 pm

arkaz wrote:Thanks for your replies.

Yes I guess 29ers is the size i was most likely to go with.

Since the time of my post, i've come across a change of mind. Mainly looking for a entry level hybrid. So I wish to ride on grass or gravel, but also would like something thats good on road too.
Depending on how much riding you plan to do on grass and gravel (loose or hard packed?) then the thinner tyres of a hybrid may see you sinking into the surface and having to overcome a LOT of friction. They'll be great on the road or footpaths though.

As always, you need to choose your compromise - wider = slower but comfier and gripper on loose/soft stuff. Narrow = faster but less comfy and will sink in soft surfaces.

FYI I've ridden my 25mm road bike over grass. It's not impossible, but it's not plan A either :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:58 pm

arkaz wrote:.......Mainly looking for a entry level hybrid. So I wish to ride on grass or gravel, but also would like something thats good on road too.
Bit difficult at the price point you've mentioned, but this Malvern Star Vector may be just right.

Hydraulic discs, 32mm rubber, decent driveline. The only thing I would change would be the tyres, not necessarily for a specific tyre just not the Kendas.

This bike is a runout of NOS and is quite reasonable at $533, although think they'd be happy to swap the tyres for you just to get it sold. Alloy frame, steerer is steel although with an alloy fork. Cheaper than a Reid, and will definitely be better quality.

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/hybri ... /102874534
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go