Giant Toughroad SLR GX 0 vs Giant TCX SLR 1

Defy The Odds

Giant Toughroad SLR GX 0 vs Giant TCX SLR 1

Postby Defy The Odds » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:44 pm

Ok so I am considering another bike. After a lot of sleepless nights and many headaches, I have decided I might keep my current Defy Composite as it really does ride well and I decided to get something completely different and look into a gravel or cyclocross bike.

The two I have narrowed down are:

1. Giant Toughroad SLR GX 0

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/blog/gi ... mpressions

Price on these are $2,399 (new bike for 2018)

2. Giant TCX SLR 1 2017

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/cyclo ... /103300340

Price on this on special I found is $2,200

I had a look at the toughroad at my local, and it looks awesome. Sturdy, brakes felt good in the shop although because they were tubeless they had no sealant therefore no air, but it really looked solid. What I was very surprised with is the weight of the bike. It came in at 10kg on the dot which is a lot lighter than my previous ROAM which was circa 17kg !

I'd just like to know which bike would be better bang for buck. I want the bike for longer rides, that I can head off the beaten track with, and generally not worry I may end up somewhere where I run out of tarmac... a bit of an adventure bike.

I see the groupset is SRAM Rival on the TCX but the crankset isnt SRAM and also it has a smaller cassette on the back whereas the Toughroad has a 40T Chainring with a 42T casette on the back.

I welcome your thoughts in helping my decision making.

Cheers to all !

familyguy

Re: Giant Toughroad SLR GX 0 vs Giant TCX SLR 1

Postby familyguy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:11 pm

First glance:

The Toughroad looks like it will take racks and/or guards. The TCX doesn't. Is that a kicker for you? QR vs through axles will get the tongues wagging. The TCX is a cross race bike. The Toughroad is a gravel bike.

If it was me, the TCX is hard to go past on special at that price.

Jim

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:18 pm

I was ready to pull the trigger on a new 2017 TCX for $1800 but it was a M and I'm really a M/L (non left). I wasn't keen on the $2300 for a 2018 incase i didn't enjoy the CX experience. Any way pickup a nice 2015 TCX s/h and mate absolutely loving it. I enjoy MTBing, but CX has really ticked all the boxes as a supplement to road training and looking forward to doing a few races later in the year. Only downside is the gearing 1x42 and 11sp 11/32 which i will makeup a 13/32 and fill in a few gaps (hunting gears at 30-32kph). TCX feels good on the tarmac. You know your on gravel tyres, but with higher pressures easily keeps up with the roadie.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:31 pm

There is a significant difference in geometries. If you are looking for a comfortable relaxed fit for long steady rides then the Toughroad is the way to go.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

owly

Postby owly » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:43 pm

I'd go the Toughroad, if you're ok with the 450mm chainstay length.

Pull those tyres off and replace with tubeless Compass extralights :) or Panaracer GravelKing slicks.

remove that guard also.
MUFC :twisted:

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:43 pm

You could have a few more sleepless nights and many headaches if you take one over the other without a test ride.
With these sort of bike you hop on ride and you will just know which one is for you. The bike that makes you ride and smile will always win over a few saved $$. I do so like my cx bikes but that toughroad may well give you way more options.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:47 pm

owly wrote:I'd go the Toughroad, if you're ok with the 450mm chainstay length.

Pull those tyres off and replace with tubeless Compass extralights :) or Panaracer GravelKing slicks.

remove that guard also.

First off, GGMU !!

I actually like the fact it has 40mm tyres, Can go pretty much anywhere.

What do you mean about the chainstays ? I know it's longer than normal but is it a drawback ?

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:49 pm

Both bikes seem to have rack mounts which I like, should I take a liking to touring or bikepacking.

May take both for a spin and see how they feel but first impressions I like the Toughroad it's certainly different to my Defy

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:55 pm

[quote="NASHIE"]I was ready to pull the trigger on a new 2017 TCX for $1800 but it was a M and I'm really a M/L (non left). I wasn't keen on the $2300 for a 2018 incase i didn't enjoy the CX experience. Any way pickup a nice 2015 TCX s/h and mate absolutely loving it. I enjoy MTBing, but CX has really ticked all the boxes as a supplement to road training and looking forward to doing a few races later in the year. Only downside is the gearing 1x42 and 11sp 11/32 which i will makeup a 13/32 and fill in a few gaps (hunting gears at 30-32kph). TCX feels good on the tarmac. You know your on gravel tyres, but with higher pressures easily keeps up with the roadie.[/quote]

Made my day reading this. It's got me excited to get one !

One thing I love with the Toughroad is that it has a 40T chainrings but a 42T cassette and so heaps of gears especially on the ascents !

Getting really excited now !

owly

Postby owly » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:33 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:
owly wrote:I'd go the Toughroad, if you're ok with the 450mm chainstay length.

remove that guard also.

First off, GGMU !!

I actually like the fact it has 40mm tyres, Can go pretty much anywhere.

What do you mean about the chainstays ? I know it's longer than normal but is it a drawback ?
Nah, not a drawback; just what you prefer. Gives a stable rear end. A bit harder to pop the front end, that is all.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:26 pm

Update:

I went for a test ride of the Toughroad, and first impressions are I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

The bike was very nimble, handled excellent and great grip. The ride was actually very supple and it just felt planted.

Around the corner from the bike shop there was a hill and a bit of gravel along with a park so I got to put the bike on the loose stuff immediately and it felt great. The climb was quite steep but not sure the % however I found the 40T rear to be adequate.

All in all the bike felt like something I would enjoy and the bonus of the wider, tubeless tyres is I can take it on some rough stuff with less of a worry of getting a flat.

I wanted to compare with a TCX but they didn't have one in stock. Looking at the geometry and gearing I think the Toughroad would suit me better. It would replace the Roam I currently have which is a pig of a thing.

Decided to sleep on it but decision feels like it's made.

Will probably order tomorrow :)

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:41 pm

Defy The Odds wrote: I went for a test ride of the Toughroad, and first impressions are I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.
:D Mate I'm sure that smile will last, I've been so surprised how much i enjoy XC riding. Sounds like the Toughroad is the one for you, based on use and gearing preference.

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:21 pm

I love my tcx. I use it 95% of the time as roadie or commuter, and just chuck nobbys on for the odd weekend on the dirt. The geometry is basically preference, plenty of people do long adventure riding on race geo, it just comes down to what works for you.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:09 am

I think the fella who designs all city bikes put it down what a cx bike can do quite well...
https://allcitycycles.com/blog/gravel_b ... ross_bikes
but as an owner and user of two cx bikes for bikepacking, commuter, touring, long day rides and double and single track, I still find using the drop bar fargo type of mountain bike the most useful and closer to a one bike that can do it all quite well.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:21 am

Ok now to throw a spanner in the works.

When I went into the bike shop for the first time checking out the Toughroad I really didn't know what I wanted; Aero (a-la Propel), Race (TCR-esque) or a newer Defy of sorts.

I have now had a good look at the Canyon Endurace AL Disc 8.0 which is showing online at $2,599 (obviously not including shipping). When you consider it has FULL Ultegra groupset including the very widely acclaimed Ultegra disc brakes (instead of say, Shimano RS505 or something similar), it looks like good value.

Did a quick search and I saw a video online of someone fitting it out for bike packing with 32mm Panaracer Gravel Kings and had plenty of clearance.

So my question is, given this is lighter, and would be super comfortable with 32mm tyres, would perhaps something like this be the go? Endurance Geo for longer rides, 32mm tyre clearance, etc.

What other endurance bikes accept 32mm tyres?

I really did enjoy my short ride on the ToughRoad and to be honest, although it weighed bang on 10kg, it felt much, much lighter. In fact I was throwing it around really easily probably like my Defy which weighs 2 kg less.

Thoughts people ?

I am doing my own head in with these thoughts but it has taken me quite a while to reach this point I just don't want to have buyers remorse and think, "oh I should have got the other one instead".

Cheers,

Jay

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:35 pm

Are you still keeping the Defy, the Canyon might be too similar. Something like this at $2000
http://www.99bikes.com.au/bike18-norco- ... a-105-blue might be worth a look. I have the Toughroad SLR1 and a merida ride endurance roadie. The SLR1 is the flat bar version with 50mm tires, wanted something different too and flatbar choice is limited (done afew 50k rides over various surfaces, happy with 50mm tires, but will look at 40's when time to replace). If I didn't have the Merida would have gone with a gravel bike like the Splesh Deverge/Sight. I did test ride a Deverge carbon single ring around some single track and it was FUN.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:52 pm

Usernoname wrote:Are you still keeping the Defy, the Canyon might be too similar. Something like this at $2000
http://www.99bikes.com.au/bike18-norco- ... a-105-blue might be worth a look. I have the Toughroad SLR1 and a merida ride endurance roadie. The SLR1 is the flat bar version with 50mm tires, wanted something different too and flatbar choice is limited (done afew 50k rides over various surfaces, happy with 50mm tires, but will look at 40's when time to replace). If I didn't have the Merida would have gone with a gravel bike like the Splesh Deverge/Sight. I did test ride a Deverge carbon single ring around some single track and it was FUN.
Thanks for the insight mate. I'm in two minds:

1. Thinking of keeping the defy as a dedicated roadie I can do quick bunch rides and also longer rides on tarmac and then having the ToughRoad for when I want to head wherever without worrying if the road will be perfect and just have fun

2. Sell the Defy, and keep the Endurace as a kind of do-it-all bike with 32mm tyres for when I want to have fun and 25mm for road (or two different wheelsets)

I was set to pull the trigger on the Toughroad SLR GX0 drop bar but then this thought came into my mind and now I'm just as unsure as when I started ....

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:02 pm

You seem to be a loyal Giant guy but .... Cannondale spanner in the works ....

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/cyclo ... /103311570
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:45 pm

cyclotaur wrote:You seem to be a loyal Giant guy but .... Cannondale spanner in the works ....

Haha you know as they say better the devil you know. I'm just familiar with Giants offering in terms of sizing and so forth so it makes it easier for me to compare to say, my current Defy.

I actually really like the Cannondale bikes but as much as I am drawn to them the BB30/BB30a creaks would annoy me to the point of insanity so I have stayed away in the end.

I had a serious think about the Slate but the stupid road gearing made no sense... dunno what they were thinking

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:53 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:
cyclotaur wrote:You seem to be a loyal Giant guy but .... Cannondale spanner in the works ....
Haha you know as they say better the devil you know. I'm just familiar with Giants offering in terms of sizing and so forth so it makes it easier for me to compare to say, my current Defy.

I actually really like the Cannondale bikes but as much as I am drawn to them the BB30/BB30a creaks would annoy me to the point of insanity so I have stayed away in the end.

I had a serious think about the Slate but the stupid road gearing made no sense... dunno what they were thinking
M-eh....I had some early (minor) problems with a creaking BB30 but it was quickly sorted and I've had ZERO issues for the last 43,000 kms on my CAADX and never had an issue in 6500kms on my Synapse. I really think it's no better or worse than other similar systems on other brands, and easily fixed if it occurs. The Slate doesn't appeal to me at all aesthetically.

The Giants are great value bikes and as solid as you can get.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

owly

Postby owly » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:00 pm

If the Canyon can't fit a 40mm tyre or so, then I'd get the Toughroad.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:02 pm

owly wrote:What is the max tyre width on the Canyon?
32mm comfortable.... some 35mm at a pinch but it would be tight. 32mm ideal....

owly

Postby owly » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:04 pm

Yeah, I don't think that's enough tyre diff between a dedicated road option and the Toughroad which can fit a 50mm.

If I had two bikes, I'd want them at extreme ends to each other.

Get the Toughroad :) and keep the Defy.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:56 pm

owly wrote:Yeah, I don't think that's enough tyre diff between a dedicated road option and the Toughroad which can fit a 50mm.

If I had two bikes, I'd want them at extreme ends to each other.

Get the Toughroad :) and keep the Defy.
Haha N+1 ey!?

This is one of the scenarios played out in my mind

This is my current Defy setup so the Toughroad would definitely be on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Not sure how to upload photos I'd share my current Defy setup

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:27 pm

Ok so I did it, I put a deposit down on a 2018 Giant ToughRoad SLR GX0 - after a couple of test rides I confirmed my original sentiments which is, this bike is COOL !

The way it soaks up the bumps is awesome, the chunky tyres lend themselves to all kinds of adventures and I can't wait to get off the beaten path and just smash out some kays on all sorts of terrain.

Really pleased with the decision. Went with some lightweight low profile flat/platform pedals also because I want this bike to be the bike I use when I CBF getting out all the kit and just literally want to "have a ride".

I'll post up some pics when I get it :-)