Reviews on Samson Cycles

Keviv4

Reviews on Samson Cycles

Postby Keviv4 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:25 pm

Hi all,

Road biking noob here, looking to purchase an entry level road bike as my hybrid just getting too clunky. Mates have mentioned to not settle anything less than a 105 groupset (not particular about carbon frame). Budget $850-$1200

Came across the Samson Milestone from Samson cycles based in Brunswick. Seems a great deal for a bike with 105 groupset - anyone had any experience with this bike or generally Samson bikes?

Thanks!

10speedsemiracer

Re: Reviews on Samson Cycles

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:33 pm

I've flipped a couple of Samsons. They age poorly in my experience, which is an accurate reflection on their original build quality. Granted, I haven't had a Samson Milestone in my hands, but have had two of the Shimano Nexus Commuter bikes and one drop bar (Shimano mix). None of the frames were anything special and a lot of the parts used (BB, crank, brake calipers) were generic entry-level VP or Tektro (actually the brakes may have been Promax in one instance). Nothing special, think Reid/Cell/Iamfree bikes, with a different paint job and decals. TBH there is no way $1200 of my currencies would leave my pocket for a Samson, or a Reid or any of the similar level bikes.

For $1200 you may find something decent in the Polygon range of bikes, or you may get better bang-for-buck buying used.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:39 pm

As in, (buying used) $1200 would allow you to buy a decent 2-3yo bike made by one of the proper makers (Giant/Trek/Cannondale/Specialized etc) with money left over to personalise it to suit you or remedy anything. Say, spend $800 on a used Giant Defy (just an example) in your size, swap tyres/tubes to suit you, get driveline serviced and throw on some new brake pads and re-cable the bike, all done for $1200 total (easily).

Keviv4

Postby Keviv4 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:34 pm

Advice taken!! Been checking out 2nd hand Giants, TCR, defy etc on gumtree and FB so lets hope something good comes out of this..seems to be a big 2nd hand market for giants in particular. Finding the right size though...that's another story :x

Cheers!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:17 pm

I think the size of the used Giant market is a reflection on how many were sold in the first place.
Good luck with the search. A high-spec Defy in good condition, say with 10sp 105, Schwalbe Pro tyres and nice new comfy bar tape is a lovely bike.

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:08 pm

With all due respect I completely disagree with the opinion of the $999 Samson Milestone.
The bike is decked out with full 11 speed 105 components, including the bottom bracket and wheel hubs. Very good gear.
The hubs are laced to 32 hole R450 Alex rims. Nothing special but solid and reliable. I've been riding these rims on occasion for a couple of years now on my wet weather and trainer bike. They aren't race light but they are good, reasonable quality, training grade, distance rims/wheels.
FSA stem, bars and seatpost. Again, nothing flash but not cheap garbage. Nothing much (frequently) goes wrong with these parts.
The frame probably isn't anything special but if it breaks a replacement such as the aluminium Ribble Winter Audax 7005 can currently be had for $156.07 delivered, an almost indestructible and well regarded frame. A large friend of mine (90-110kg's) has been riding one hard for nearly ten years with no problems.
I also own bikes fitted with Dura Ace, Ultegra and Sugino ensembles, flash wheels, the whole caboodle. My wet weather bike is very similar to the Milestone, a Cell Bikes clone, almost identical. The wet weather/trainer bike has been thoroughly thrashed but well maintained. It rides very well and had zero problems, something I can't say about 2 five times as expensive Giant and Cannondale bikes. Both broke, one replaced on warranty, the other a full cash refund.
Given the choice of the new, warranted Milestone or a second hand, unknown, potentially troublesome second hand bike I know which I'd choose.
I took the new bike option on an almost identical Cell bike and haven't regretted it.
Put some decent tyres on it and the Milestone will ride nearly as well as a $5000 bike. My Cell does. Slight exaggeration, but there isn't much in it. I've been surprised and very satisfied with my cheap purchase.

BTW. I ride a Defy, as well as a TCR SL, a Cannondale CAAD9 and a steel tourer. Very nice bikes but I just wouldn't be confident buying second hand carbon or aluminium. That's just my gut feel, others may disagree. I prefer new and warranties. Bikes break all too frequently these days. In my experience I've twice needed that warranty.
A Nexus geared commuter and a mixed component drop bar bike is a completely different kettle of fish to the Milestone.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:25 am

To qualify what I said, I admitted to not being familiar with the Samson Milestone however your appraisal of your other bike being a Cell clone is far more accurate than you can imagine. Take a Reid/Cell/Samson of equivalent spec and frame and remove the decals and they're near identical. My experience with the Reid/Cell/Samson trio has been one of generic components mixed with just enough name-brand gear which is bolted to generic frames, more often with non-series bits hidden in the mix to improve margins. Your response admits that the frame isn't the best and lists a contingency. How then could we say yes, go spend $1200 on this $800 bike when there are alternatives. Sorry if I sound argumentative, I mean nothing by it but I hate seeing someone waste their currency.
The fact that you've researched an escape clause for your Samson is a concern. and your appraisal of AlexRims is fairly accurate yet also not much of a recommendation. I personally try not to use AlexRims. ..prior poor experience. Would expect better wheels on a $1000+ bike, these are entry-level, and nasty entry-level, not like Shimano r501 entry-level or Mavic Aksium. And the tyres...$25 Kendas on a supposed sporty set-up.

Oh and I would not be surprised, at all, if the frames used by all three, come from the same Shenzen factory (I heard this as a rumour, do not know if true).

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:18 am

I'm not trying to be argumentative either but my bike and the Milestone bike represent very good value for money IMHO. I respectfully disagree with you. :D
10speedsemiracer wrote:My experience with the Reid/Cell/Samson trio has been one of generic components mixed with just enough name-brand gear ..., more often with non-series bits hidden in the mix to improve margins.
This doesn't describe my Cell bike nor the Milestone in any way. Full 105 componentry including hubs and BB, and FSA bars, stem and seatpost. What other non-series bits can be hidden? The saddles are cheap but mine's held up fine. Don't know about the headsets but how much do a couple of cartridge bearing cost? (Cartridge bearings on my bike, not sure about the Milestone). Jagwire inner cables and SP41 outers on mine.
10speedsemiracer wrote:Your response admits that the frame isn't the best and lists a contingency. How then could we say yes, go spend $1200 on this $800 bike when there are alternatives. Sorry if I sound argumentative, I mean nothing by it but I hate seeing someone waste their currency.
Yes, a generic aluminium frame. The quality is an unknown. We're assuming poor quality. Why? It's probably relatively heavy but from a durability perspective I've not read about (any) regular failures and mine is certainly robust and in good condition after frequent heavy thrashing on the road and trainer. I have a contingency plan but haven't had to enact it, nor do I expect to any time soon. I haven't wasted any money on mine. In fact I've saved money over a superfluous higher specced bike for my intended purposes. Samson back their frames with a Limited Lifetime warranty, much the same as most other brands.
10speedsemiracer wrote:The fact that you've researched an escape clause for your Samson is a concern.
I also have a contingency for my currently $2999 Giant TCR SL frame ($6500 complete bike). I've already broken one and a high end Cannondale Synapse.
10speedsemiracer wrote:...your appraisal of AlexRims is fairly accurate yet also not much of a recommendation. I personally try not to use AlexRims. ..prior poor experience.
AlexRims have an enormous range of wheels and rims. Many are rebadged by snobbier brands. I own two sets.
One identical pair on my Cell bike and another on a steel tourer. Both are as true as the day I bought them.
The tourer has carried me and up to 40kg's of gear, food and water over many miles of rough VicAlps and coastal roads and tracks. More than 10,000 loaded touring km's and a similar commuting distance. No problems.
10speedsemiracer wrote: ...these are entry-level, and nasty entry-level,
Who says? Not my experience.
10speedsemiracer wrote:Would expect better wheels on a $1000+ bike
I wouldn't.
10speedsemiracer wrote:Oh and I would not be surprised, at all, if the frames used by all three, come from the same Shenzen factory (I heard this as a rumour, do not know if true).
A Chinese factory but can you reference any evidence of frequent failure? I can't, but can rattle off multiple examples of big brand problems.

Sorry, I do sound argumentative, not intended. My impression of these bikes is that they are a much higher cut above the department store style BSO you seem to imply they are and not far removed from name brand bikes nearly twice the price.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:03 pm

I think we should probably leave this here. My feedback was based on my experience of Samson bikes, and to a similar extent the Reids and the one solitary Cell bike that I've flipped (I flip in order to finance my own bikes, and have done so since 1977).

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:15 pm

Agree to disagree.
That's cool. :)

Ricardoy

Postby Ricardoy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:17 am

I've just got a Samson Milestone and so far I'm loving it.

I was trying to decide between the Merida Scultura 100 and the Milestone and decided to try (risk) it.

Not much information about the bike, and even the shop owners had not a lot of specs to offer, but the lifetime warranty on the frame, full carbon fork and 105 full groupset make go for it.

So far I am pleasantly surprised. The frame looks good with smooth welding joints. Total weight when bought was around 9.6kg, which is not bad at all for the price.

Indeed it comes with complete 105 5800 groupset, which is a big improvement coming from an older Tiagra version.

Other components such as wheels, tyres, seat and pedals are basic. However, these are things that most people change/upgrade anyway.

The whole buying process (click and collect for now) was easy. I went to collect it half an hour later.
Plus, it's a local business and that may matter to some.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:18 am

Had a Samson through my workshop recently... Can't remember exactly what model, but the thing was pretty underwhelming. Pretty ordinary aluminium frame, chro-mo fork, which as I discovered during the service was very bent - fairly major problem - and real hodge-podge mix of running gear. Did not make a good impression.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.